• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst week in parenting so far in 5 years....

YourMomsLover

So my wife and I wake Madison (our 5 year old) to get ready for school last Monday. Madison takes a shower, while we get her backpack, lunch made, and lay out her clothes for the day. She gets done with her shower, and comes in the living room to get her clothes on so my wife can brush her hair.

My wife gets done brushing her hair out, and tells Madison to turn around to see how she looks. The moment she turned around, her eyes rolled in the back of her head, and she fell to the floor and started to convulse. This lasted for about 6 seconds. It was the most shocking, helpless feeling we have had. I mean what can you do besides put a pillow under her head?

She came to and started to cry saying "that she fell asleep and fell in the floor."

We called 911 and paramedics arrived in less that 10 minutes. They asked her if she wanted to ride in the ambulance and get checked out. She wanted to ( so did we.)

Come to find out she has been having "absence seizures" for quite a while now. She has episodes where she can be sitting on the couch watching TV and we ask her something, but she just looks at you with this blank confused stare. All along we thought it was her hearing. This is the first time she has actually "seized up" and man was it scary.

Also our 1 month old boy was admitted to the hospital today because he has RSV. So that just made it much better.

TLDR....this week has sucked enormously.

Absence seizures are nothing to worry about. Just fill her in on what she missed. I'm being serious - that's what paramedics are taught about dealing with them.

As far as the convulsions, don't try to hold her while she's convulsing. It'll cause further injury. Make sure she doesn't swallow her tongue while she's out. Being that she's 5, you may have to hyperextend her neck slightly to keep her breathing (place her head as if she's looking up).

Absence seizures are nothing to worry about. Just fill her in on what she missed. I'm being serious - that's what paramedics are taught about dealing with them.

As far as the convulsions, don't try to hold her while she's convulsing. It'll cause further injury. Make sure she doesn't swallow her tongue while she's out. Being that she's 5, you may have to hyperextend her neck slightly to keep her breathing (place her head as if she's looking up).

Thanks man. I appreciate your input. I figured I would post this here for a little support because all I got from posting on FB is "sending prayers your way!" stuff. It doesn't help us right now.

One of my roommates in college was epiletic.(sp) He never had seizures, but he would space out every so often. We'd being cards, or we'd be eating dinner. He just get this bank look for several minutes. I was always scared he'd do this while he was driving. (Never happened as far as I know.) 1/2 the time I never knew it. His doctor wanted him to keep a log when he had these episodes,

I hope your daughter turns out alright.

Archived