• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who gets cut that suddenly leaves us with a big need?

panthers55

No true... Our secondary played well enough without Gamble. He's just a nice piece to have when he is there. It will be weird without Gamble there but he is just expendable at the moment

I'd say our biggest need are

1a. NT

1b. RG

2. LT

3 CB

4 O-Line Depth

5. DB Depth

Our secondary playing well is quite an overstatement. We were better as the year progressed but we finished 13th against the pass. In opposing quarterback passer rating we were 23rd. In Interceptions we were 23rd again with 11. No DB had more than 2 ints. We did improve somewhat but surely not enough to make cornerback, not a huge need if Gamble is gone.

Our secondary playing well is quite an overstatement. We were better as the year progressed but we finished 13th against the pass. In opposing quarterback passer rating we were 23rd. In Interceptions we were 23rd again with 11. No DB had more than 2 ints. We did improve somewhat but surely not enough to make cornerback, not a huge need if Gamble is gone.

Interceptions aren't everything and half of those games I blame Nakamura for if Campbell of even Martin had started I believe we would've started the season better.. Now I agree that we would have to look into getting a CB if both Munnerlyn and Gamble leave but I think we can survive without Gamble. And that's no knock against Gamble he's a great player just a Cap Causality

I'm not a GM but from my understanding, there is no restructuring or cutting Beason. He either has to be traded or play under his contract as is.

I think you could cut him....but you are looking big picture with the cut and not just for the 2013 season ( I think most look at just the upcoming year and impact)

I think Beason is untradeable currently

I think you could cut him....but you are looking big picture with the cut and not just for the 2013 season ( I think most look at just the upcoming year and impact)

I think Beason is untradeable currently

If we cut Beason we save little. 3.75 million of his 2013 contract is guaranteed and his signing bonus even as a June 1st cut would be 4 million this year and 8 million in dead cap space next year. So he costs us 7.75 million this year and 8 million next year if we cut him. If we keep him it costs us 9.5 million this year and 10.75 next year. Honestly I would think he is worth keeping him for 2 years when the difference between cutting and keeping him is roughly 2 million a year. Cutting him won't even make it worth it until 2015 at the earliest. If you cut him in 2015 as a June 1st you lose 2 mil in 2015 and 2 million in 2016. That would be certainly do-able. There is the possibility he will return to form or at least be worth the 2 mil a year difference over the next 2 years.

If we trade him we would still be on the hook for 12 million in dead cap space over 2 years and probably the guaranteed 3.75 million. Can't cut or trade him really.

If we cut Beason we save little. 3.75 million of his 2013 contract is guaranteed and his signing bonus even as a June 1st cut would be 4 million this year and 8 million in dead cap space next year. So he costs us 7.75 million this year and 8 million next year if we cut him. If we keep him it costs us 9.5 million this year and 10.75 next year. Honestly I would think he is worth keeping him for 2 years when the difference between cutting and keeping him is roughly 2 million a year. Cutting him won't even make it worth it until 2015 at the earliest. If you cut him in 2015 as a June 1st you lose 2 mil in 2015 and 2 million in 2016. That would be certainly do-able. There is the possibility he will return to form or at least be worth the 2 mil a year difference over the next 2 years.

If we trade him we would still be on the hook for 12 million in dead cap space over 2 years and probably the guaranteed 3.75 million. Can't cut or trade him really.

Interesting. I read somewhere that his full salary was guaranteed for injury but maybe it's only 3.75. If traded his salary would be paid by the new team. Cap wise we would only be on the hook for the remaining prorated bonus hit.

I still say he's tradable, maybe a 2014 7th?

But if you can't trade him then I agree keep him on the team.

I don't know how anybody can justify cutting our best tackle, when there are other holes along the line that need to be filled.

I certainly feel they should draft a tackle, but if ya cut gross, we'd have to come up with restarting tackles. That's a hole I don't know see any GM digging.

Gamble is the easiest to cut.

After that, the there isn't a whole lot you can cut that will actually help the Panthers cap space. Restructuring would be next. Not all the guys will restructure either. Get three, maybe four to restructure, and the Panthers will be under the cap.

March can't get here soon enough.

Interesting. I read somewhere that his full salary was guaranteed for injury but maybe it's only 3.75. If traded his salary would be paid by the new team. Cap wise we would only be on the hook for the remaining prorated bonus hit.

I still say he's tradable, maybe a 2014 7th?

But if you can't trade him then I agree keep him on the team.

Again you think that 12 million in dead cap space over the next 2 years makes him tradeable.

I don't know how anybody can justify cutting our best tackle, when there are other holes along the line that need to be filled.

I certainly feel they should draft a tackle, but if ya cut gross, we'd have to come up with restarting tackles. That's a hole I don't know see any GM digging.

Gamble is the easiest to cut.

After that, the there isn't a whole lot you can cut that will actually help the Panthers cap space. Restructuring would be next. Not all the guys will restructure either. Get three, maybe four to restructure, and the Panthers will be under the cap.

March can't get here soon enough.

Restructuring doesn't do much but shift more cap cost to later years. If the cap stays flat it just makes things worst in a year or two.

Again you think that 12 million in dead cap space over the next 2 years makes him tradeable.

Ah gotcha. Untradable from a Panthers stand point. Uh yeah. Richardson gave that much to Delhomme to leave. I thinks it's better to go ahead and fix a mistake now than wait until later when it's still going to hurt. And 12 million in dead cap space is better than $20 million towards a SLB.

Buts that just my opinion. Who the hell know what Gettleman thinks.

I think the fact he is the highest paid MLB in the NFL and has been on IR almost the entire past two seasons.....makes him untradeable. What teams wants to take that on? LB isn't worth the gamble

Ah gotcha. Untradable from a Panthers stand point. Uh yeah. Richardson gave that much to Delhomme to leave. I thinks it's better to go ahead and fix a mistake now than wait until later when it's still going to hurt. And 12 million in dead cap space is better than $20 million towards a SLB.

Buts that just my opinion. Who the hell know what Gettleman thinks.

If you count the cost of replacing him with a decent option even at 3 million a year you spend 12 million in dead cap space and 6 million for his replacement or 18 million instead of paying Beason the 20 million he would get. People forget that he was an all-pro guy and moving him to play on one side or the other should improve him given that he will less space to cover and his issue is speed. He could return to 85 to 90% of his old form and be well worth keeping.

Archived