• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Age of Retirement

captfluoro

I've got a good income and have been saving consistently for the past 8 years for me and my wife and have been putting money away for the kids college fund for the past 5 years. Plus we switched to a 10 year mortgage about 20 months ago so the house will be paid off before she finishes high school, which will give me extra money for the retirement portfolio.

Oh the irony of this thread being here today. I had a retirement target age of 60 however at 4pm today am I signing my entire 401K that I built up over my lifetime to my ex in a divorce settlement. Yeah, that is going to sting a bit when I sign on the dotted line for that one. I thankfully still have a pension and IRA's however I have readjustment my retirement target age to 143 years old now.

Let that be a lesson to you youngins out there. Learn from Uncle Johnny Rockets mistakes.

Oh the irony of this thread being here today. I had a retirement target age of 60 however at 4pm today am I signing my entire 401K that I built up over my lifetime to my ex in a divorce settlement. Yeah, that is going to sting a bit when I sign on the dotted line for that one. I thankfully still have a pension and IRA's however I have readjustment my retirement target age to 143 years old now.

Let that be a lesson to you youngins out there. Learn from Uncle Johnny Rockets mistakes.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Been there done that (although she only got half). Set me back a few years for sure.

"Welcome to Wal-Mart"

I'm practicing.

WTF? That sucks..and she gets the house too?

Dude, what did you do?

And does she not work?

I can't get my head around this.

WTF? That sucks..and she gets the house too?

Yes, and I pay 100% of the mortgage and insurance and have so since leaving in August of 2011. I have done this to avoid disrupting my daughters life anymore than necessary and making her move. Hard to put a price on her being happy and the divorce is bad enough.

Dude, what did you do?

And does she not work?

I can't get my head around this.

The divorce itself is mutually agreed upon with no one doing anything wrong (not that I think that matters in NC anyway). In fact, we are great friends and we are doing this without going through court. As far as the logistics of it all, i wouldn't know where to begin and don't want to put it out on here but let's just say that divorce is much more expensive than people realize until you go through it. I most likely would do better if I went through the courts but I honestly just want to cut my loses, move on, and start to rebuild what I have lost.

Yes, and I pay 100% of the mortgage and insurance and have so since leaving in August of 2011. I have done this to avoid disrupting my daughters life anymore than necessary and making her move. Hard to put a price on her being happy and the divorce is bad enough.

The divorce itself is mutually agreed upon with no one doing anything wrong (not that I think that matters in NC anyway). In fact, we are great friends and we are doing this without going through court. As far as the logistics of it all, i wouldn't know where to begin and don't want to put it out on here but let's just say that divorce is much more expensive than people realize until you go through it. I most likely would do better if I went through the courts but I honestly just want to cut my loses, move on, and start to rebuild what I have lost.

good for you dude. that sounds brutal.

Archived