• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Godfrey's thoughts on the new D

rayzor

link

"No excuses," Godfrey said. "You're not a rookie anymore; you've been in this thing for a year; you played the whole season. There are no excuses. You go out there and you play and you make plays. That's the bottom line."

And truth be told, Ron Meeks' scheme would seem a better fit for Godfrey. His fellow University of Iowa alumnus, Bob Sanders, earned league defensive MVP honors two years ago in the safety-friendly scheme, which emphasizes turnovers and being around the football above all else. But it's Godfrey's friend Kelvin Hayden, a Colts cornerback, who has given him the lowdown on what Meeks expects.

"He told me what it was -- just run to the ball, make plays, everybody is hitting," Godfrey said. "So that is kind of what you are going to see with the defense because we are stressing that now.

"The ball is the main key. We want the ball. We don't want to be guarding a guy that doesn't have the ball. If we are guarding a guy and the quarterback throws the ball across the field, we are leaving that guy alone and we're going and we're trying to get the ball because you never know what will happen."

Pursuit to the football is right in the wheelhouse of a converted cornerback who finds himself preparing for a "center field"-type of role where he is free to attack wherever the football goes.

"I can use my athletic ability. I can run around run around a lot, kind of roam and read the quarterback a lot," he said. "I'm kind of comfortable there."

one of godfrey's problems last year was being out of position or missing assignments but with him playing more of a center-fielder role, i think we may see a huge improvement from him. i feel good with him focusing in on the QB and watching to see where the ball is going to be thrown and then getting there.

also gamble made a comment in that article about the emphasis being on running to the ball and stripping it. i love that. we just have to make sure that they do it chris harris/bears style. wrap them up, take them down and then strip the ball on their way down while they are trying to brace for impact.

link

one of godfrey's problems last year was being out of position or missing assignments but with him playing more of a center-fielder role, i think we may see a huge improvement from him. i feel good with him focusing in on the QB and watching to see where the ball is going to be thrown and then getting there.

also gamble made a comment in that article about the emphasis being on running to the ball and stripping it. i love that. we just have to make sure that they do it chris harris/bears style. wrap them up, take them down and then strip the ball on their way down while they are trying to brace for impact.

I see a lot of pump fakes in our future...

Hopefully it will be alright, I like aggressive.

I see a lot of pump fakes in our future...

Hopefully it will be alright, I like aggressive.

i think it will be. if my dogs can be trained to watch for it when i'm playing fetch, these guys can.

we are going to be playing some very smart QBs this year...brady, brees, mcnabb, warner, and even eli. that is where the pressure comes in, though. make sure they don't have time for pump fakes very much.

I love the attitude that Meeks and Barker are bringing to this defense. I just hope it translates into more sacks and turnovers when it actually counts.

not sure if that is a typo or not but that name just might fit him from what i hear is going on in charlotte.

anyone remember that fake fieldgoal attempt last season that godfrey sniffed out and broke up when no one was expecting it? the man's got some field vision and lightening speed, he was on the sideline before the pass made it there - i'm not worried about him playing as a reactionary role as opposed to scheme coverage - i think it plays right into his strengths.

Archived