• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signup

CarolinaSock

I never have luck on betas but hopefully I get picked. I really hope this game isn't a sub. I hope it's either F2P with microtransactions or a Guild Wars 2 model, buy it and play.

IF they do a sub, hope it's only like 5 bucks. $15 like WoW would be a turn off for me.

Nice trailer though, I wish they'd do a movie/TV like that lol.

I'd much prefer a sub payment model. With a sub payment model, the developers get a nice influx of cash, while developing huge patch updates that you don't have to pay for (much like WoW.)

However, I will have to say, I really do love the Guild Wars 2 model. If I were developing an MMO, especially one the size of TESO, I'd go that route. With some content locked behind microtransactions (see: Black Lion Chests), which gives the developing team money past the initial buy into the game, while also offering up cosmetic items that players are likely to buy. Also, when I play WoW, I feel like I have to play, since I'm paying for the time. With GW2, I feel like it's more of a play when I want, how I want type thing. I love that.

Right, feeling like you HAVE to play is a downside of sub. I don't think sub is viable anymore. We seen it fail with Star Wars, Secret World, LOTRO, DDO, DCU, etc. WoW can continue doing it because people are so invested in their characters they don't want to ditch them. Fact is, casual gaming market is where the money is, especially with a Elder Scrolls name behind the game. You want all the Skyrim and Oblivion fans to buy this, and if you charge sub, you'll miss out on a LARGE market. Even though there is usually justification for sub, most people just don't like it (casuals) and won't even try it. The money is in casuals now, and gaming companies know this.

bethesda can't even put out a finished single player game, this is gonna be like a mentally handicapped rapefest

Good thing they aren't making this game.

I think one of the people that is leading the effort is a guy who has experience with games like Dark Age of Camelot (I think).

But if Beshesda WAS making the game, it would definitely be bug central.

• 1 year later...

is it good? any advice?

I like it, the PVP is really nice. It's pretty well rounded from what I've played. I mean there's some issues but it's a beta, you'll experience some bugs.  Leveling's been a bit slow the last two times in, so expect to put some hours in if you want to hit PVP. It's pretty different from any MMO i've played so far, it's got a similar feel to it as DAoC and for good reason since it's pretty much the same leads that made DAoC. 

It's also similar to DAoC in that a large portion of the MMO and Elder Scroll crowd are not going to like the game very much, it's much more actiony then most MMO's and it doesn't have a large skill bar at the bottom. 

Advice, be patient with the game. Read the races,classes and skill trees and plan your build out so it's effective in PVP and PVE. If you want to join up, I'll definitely be playing a bit this weekend, I've already put in probably close to 30-40 hours in so far. 

Archived