• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Airlines are asking the FAA to relax the "no electronics" policy during takeoff

Hotsauce

Fug the FAA.

Last year I'm flying to Cayman on USAIR and somewhere over the keys the captain comes on and says the landing gear is screwed and we are going back to CLT for a crash landing. First we have to fly around for an hour with flaps up and throttle on full to burn fuel off so we don't explode too much. Engines are screaming and the plane is shaking and they are telling us about all the emergency crews that will be there when we hit.

Great. But the kicker is no electronic devices for they last hour or so you might be alive. These nazi stewardesses will not give you a bit of info on what might happen but they certainly wandered the cabin making sure your cellphone is off.

If I'm going to die this way I'm playing angry birds dammit and I don't get how that affects anything.

Oh and was upgraded to first class and they discontinued drink service for the last hour of death which is pretty much the only reason I want an upgrade.

This, from the article:

Besides, surveys show that most passengers dread the thought of some jerk in the next seat being free to conduct annoying cellphone conversations from New York to Los Angeles. "An aircraft is one of the few places left on earth where you can actually escape from mobile phones," said aviation and travel writer Benét Wilson. "I hope it stays that way."

totally agree with cfang's post. in flight knuckleheads are similar for me with people driving in the snow. i don't worry about me driving in the snow, it's the yahoo who thinks he can that worries me. same here. i would be cool and respectful of someones space, but it's the freakshow that invites everyone into their convo and is befuddle when everyone gives them the look.

Fug the FAA.

Last year I'm flying to Cayman on USAIR and somewhere over the keys the captain comes on and says the landing gear is screwed and we are going back to CLT for a crash landing. First we have to fly around for an hour with flaps up and throttle on full to burn fuel off so we don't explode too much. Engines are screaming and the plane is shaking and they are telling us about all the emergency crews that will be there when we hit.

Great. But the kicker is no electronic devices for they last hour or so you might be alive. These nazi stewardesses will not give you a bit of info on what might happen but they certainly wandered the cabin making sure your cellphone is off.

If I'm going to die this way I'm playing angry birds dammit and I don't get how that affects anything.

Oh and was upgraded to first class and they discontinued drink service for the last hour of death which is pretty much the only reason I want an upgrade.

That sounds awful

Fug the FAA.

Ok I HAVE to hear the rest of this story...

did you crash?

Ok I HAVE to hear the rest of this story...

did you crash?

Perfect landing with firetrucks and safety crew waiting on the tarmac.

So now USAIR is like we are working on getting you a new plane. Well I'm going to miss my meeting in Cayman so I decide I would rather just go home and have a cocktail. I just don't feel like flying on this day.

I go to the help desk and ask if I can get a refund since we aren't going to make it on time and I thought I was going to die a fiery death. "No sir this flight has not been cancelled, we are working on a new plane.

F you. I ask if I can get credit and the lady says I am free to write a letter to USAIR requesting it. F you.

So I go to baggage and tell them that the plane didn't make it and I would like my bag. They tell me that I can't get it. OK well i know you can't let the plane fly if my bag is on there and I am not. Best of luck.

Here is my number just give me a call when my bag makes it back to CLT.

Crotchety old guy stares at my and finally gets on the phone and 10 minutes later I have my bag.

Archived