• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't we ever just make a splash?

I'm just talking about going out and getting one elite WR or player for a spot. Not 4 or 5.

We could get something done to make us better, we just don't.

We could, and we might, and we probably will. We just haven't yet.

Most of the big signings never really translate to immediate wins anyway, all they do is create buzz in the off season...

The OP might be offbase other than being frustrated at not making a "splash". A splash doesn't involve going out and signing a ton of FAs. It's just 1 or 2. That's why it's called a splash. And for the arguement saying only teams that are contenders sign significant FAs, I guess that means the Dolphins, Titans, and Browns are all contenders since they signed some FAs today.

Two reasons

1. We aren't a contender so no one wants to sign here- therefore we would have to overpay (like clevland, miami, etc. are doing) which our front office doesn't want to do.

2. No one wants to live in Charlotte if they don't have to.

Don't you feel like athletes would love to live in Charlotte? Warm weather... not a media giant...

I think athletes love playing in Miami. It's a dream playground for athletes. They don't really have to overpay for guys... yes they overpaid for wallace but thats not the reputation to get guys to go there.

We aren't a Cleveland or a Detroit... this is a really nice city in Charlotte we're talking about

I think athletes love playing in Miami. It's a dream playground for athletes. They don't really have to overpay for guys... yes they overpaid for wallace but thats not the reputation to get guys to go there.

... and no state income taxes.

Don't you feel like athletes would love to live in Charlotte? Warm weather... not a media giant...

We aren't a Cleveland or a Detroit... this is a really nice city in Charlotte we're talking about

Sorry, the first point I was trying to make was you have to overpay to bring a "star" to a non-contending team (like Miami). Not that Miami has a reputation for overpaying. I completely agree with you that it is a dream playground. My second point was exactly that- compare Charlotte to Miami. Where would an athelte have more fun? Charlotte is definitely getting up there, with the new condos and bars/clubs opening up uptown, but I wouldn't go as far as athletes would love to live in Charlotte.

Miami will be cutting Wallace in a couple of years. His production has never been outstanding to warrant 65mil. Krueger and Ellerbe benefitted from great players being around them. Redskins got D. Sanders and that is the only FA to workout there. The Eagles got a little somthing out of Vick. FA splahes are ill-advised and anyone who thinks they are smart is juvenile in their thinking. You do not know if the player will fit in your system and if he can produce away from the good players on his team. This is how teams like the Patriots stay better. They wait for bums like the Dolphins to sign losers and the Seahawks to trade all their draft picks for suspect players. That is how they got all of those picks two years ago, including our second rounder so we could make a move or splash. I know it is said quite a bit on here, but this is not Madden. Class is dismissed.

• 11 months later...

Archived