• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gross's new contract voids in 2014. OT now moves up priority list

SCP

If none of the top 3 tackles fall to us at 14, I'd expect us to take a long look at Terron Armstead at 44, if he's there.

Kid has all the tools to be a really good LT. One of the reasons he's projected as a 2nd rounder, instead of a 1st, is the level of competiton he faced at Arkansas Pine Bluff. With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's taken late in the 1st.

Also keep in mind that the '14 draft class might have the strongest crop of LTs in recent history with guys like Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio, James Hurst, David Yankey, Seantrel Henderson, Morgan Moses, Juwan James to name a few.

And you have a way to view the future how again...?

I don't have to see the future, The panther's will either need to suck this up coming season or get one in the current draft. They just don't have the cap space to go after a viable LT replacement in Free Agency either year.

If none of the top 3 tackles fall to us at 14, I'd expect us to take a long look at Terron Armstead at 44, if he's there.

Kid has all the tools to be a really good LT. One of the reasons he's projected as a 2nd rounder, instead of a 1st, is the level of competiton he faced at Arkansas Pine Bluff. With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if he's taken late in the 1st.

Also keep in mind that the '14 draft class might have the strongest crop of LTs in recent history with guys like Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio, James Hurst, David Yankey, Seantrel Henderson, Morgan Moses, Juwan James to name a few.

yes, next years class is very strong at LT. However only a couple of those guys will be ready to come in and start right away.

What can happen????? The team isn't going to be able to get one in FA, they shouldn't be in place to get one that can start immediately year one in next years draft either. That leaves this years draft with the team picking in no man's land for LT talent.

Dude you need to take half a valium. This restructure essentially is the same thing as spreading a cap hit over two years, while also getting to keep the player for one of those years. Also, Gettleman has stated that he has to be thoughtful, not only in free agency, but how the cap is handled as a whole, as well as how the team drafts. Can we see what happens next before we declare Cam a dead man in 2014?

The problem is the Panther's would've saved more money next year by keeping him on the old deal.

You really need to quit worrying about cap figures outside of the current year. There's just to many things that can and will happen between now and then to make any accurate assumptions about a cap crisis. Williams could, and more than likely will be cut after this year. There are also restructures waiting to happen. Try to stay in the present my friend.

This is how Rotoworld released the news:

Gross was scheduled to make $8.7M this season, an untenable number for the cap-strapped Panthers. He'll now earn $5.5M, and will be able to void his 2014 contract on Feb. 7 of next year. Gross, now entering his age-33 season, was ProFootballFocus' No. 14 left tackle last season. Mar 27 - 12:56 PM

Dude you need to take half a valium. This restructure essentially is the same thing as spreading a cap hit over two years, while also getting to keep the player for one of those years. Also, Gettleman has stated that he has to be thoughtful, not only in free agency, but how the cap is handled as a whole, as well as how the team drafts. Can we see what happens next before we declare Cam a dead man in 2014?

I took a whole one, my head was hurting.

yes, next years class is very strong at LT. However only a couple of those guys will be ready to come in and start right away.

I think Lewan, Matthews, and Hurst all could end up being Day 1 starters in the NFL as well as Yankey and Kouandjio, if they decide to come out. Good thing is they all have another year to improve.

5.6 million cap hit once the deal voids, if he would've been cut next year his cap hit would've been around 1-2 million at most.

It would have been 2 million under the old deal. So the difference is about 3.6. They have free up 6.8 in cap space this year. What's the problem?

It would have been 2 million under the old deal. So the difference is about 3.6. They have free up 6.8 in cap space this year. What's the problem?

He only had 1 million in bonuses left on his contract minus his Roster bonus, which if he was cut wouldn't have mattered anyways. It still saves the team money, I'm just having fun while I'm stuck at home sick. lol

The question is, is the 3rd best OT better than the 2nd best WR? Or CB? Or the top 1 or 2 safety?

BPA!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt very much that we draft an OT with our first pick baring some remarkable draft day tumble by a top prospect. The likely scenario is that we draft a second or fourth round tackle to groom behind Gross during his last year with the team. We will also pick up a vet tackle during FA either this year or during the next off season, as a safety valve in case our drafted talent isn't ready to start.

Archived