• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gross's new contract voids in 2014. OT now moves up priority list

SCP

Well, with Gross being a free agent in 2014 after his restructuring, the equation has changed. If one of the top 3 OTs are available at 14 then we should probably take him. I would take one anyway, but this should help sway some of you non-OT guys.

I really hope one of the top 3 OTs are available at our selection but I just don't see it happening. Next year there are going to be some great LT prospects as well but if we have a decent-good season we will not be in position to draft them next year either. Gettleman likely has a plan in mind for life after Gross but we will just have to wait and see.

Almost have to insure that the team gets one if Gross' deal auto voids, trading up... wasting a draft... so forth.. are all viable options now. The Panther's shouldn't be picking high enough next draft to be able to get one of the top LT's, so waiting is out of the question. Won't have the money to sign one in FA either, so team basically screwed if they can't get one of the three LT's in this draft..... IF Gross' deal does indeed auto void.

Could be. I basically shoot from the hip when I start threads. :-)

No worries my brother, even your shoot from the hip threads are better than most of the threads started on here.

If it auto-voids then yes, getting a LT becomes a major priority in this years draft.

No worries my brother, even your shoot from the hip threads are better than most of the threads started on here.

If it auto-voids then yes, getting a LT becomes a major priority in this years draft.

Sure does put the team in a pickle if his deal auto voids, none of the top LT prospects are expected to be at 14. Won't be in position to get a top one through FA either this year or next and the Panther's shouldn't be in position to get one in next years draft either. This year's crop of LT's is really top heavy and then get's very shallow quickly. Much better value deeper in the draft at Guard, DT and CB.

Yeah Steve Reed is reporting Gross is a free agent after next year. Patty Y is reporting Gross is extended through 2017, with the option to void the contract. Someone is wrung.

I don't foresee Gross voiding his contract, unless he wanted to straight up retire. He obviously wants to be a Panther-for-life. I guess this just gives him the chance to peace out if he really feels inclined next year.

Either way, we should be looking for his replacement either this draft or next year, maybe through FA.

I'll keep saying it, if the deal auto voids it's a stupid deal for Carolina to make. It pretty much makes the team desperate to trade up to get one of the three LT's in the draft. They almost have to, which sucks in a year when the team doesn't have a bunch of picks to begin with.

Worth noting that while he's taking a pay cut this year, he's taking a huge hit next year. Under his old contract he was scheduled to make $7.7 million ($6.7 base + $1 roster bonus) next season. However, with his base salary reduced to $1 million and all signing bonuses already paid, the most he can make under the current contract is $2 million next year (and that's assuming the roster bonus is carried over into the new deal).

So even if it is an option, I think he could easily make more than $2 million on the open market.

Worth noting that while he's taking a pay cut this year, he's taking a huge hit next year. Under his old contract he was scheduled to make $7.7 million ($6.7 base + $1 roster bonus) next season. However, with his base salary reduced to $1 million and all signing bonuses already paid, the most he can make under the current contract is $2 million next year (and that's assuming the roster bonus is carried over into the new deal).

So even if it is an option, I think he could easily make more than $2 million on the open market.

He has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for 2014 in the new deal.

He has a 2 million dollar roster bonus for 2014 in the new deal.

Ahh, didn't notice that before. Thanks, so $4 million.

That right there tells me it doesn't "auto-void." Why give a player a roster bonus if there's no chance he can get it? It's not like we get cap relief from it or something.

EDIT: Or maybe just $3 million, since the $2 million roster bonus likely takes the place of the $1 bonus on the old deal.

Archived