• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt in the Observer?

Mr. Scot

Maybe they are too busy lurking and posting here to be writing updates?

I say we start a witch hunt to find the people with the most posts on here and accuse them of being deadbeat Observer sports writers.

Hmmm...wouldn't pretending to be a big Eagles fan be a perfect cover?!?!?!?!? :D

The Observer often runs movie reviews and news articles from the Raleigh News & Observer so it's not unusual to see use of articles from the other papers in the ownership group. It is unusual for no one at the Observer to be covering the OTA's, though. Maybe they're all on furlough to save $$.

Gantt and Reed have been outreporting the Observer for years now, at least when it comes to the Panthers. It just doesn't make any sense. Those guys are both regulars on WFNZ as well, so don't give me that stuff about them having it easy because they only cover the Panthers, which is not true in Reed's case anyway. I know for a fact that Reed has covered golf tournaments and the Panthers, as well as doing radio, all in the same week before.

It's not that I dislike the articles they do write. Chandler is a good writer, and even David Scott may have some potential.

But it's ridiculous that a paper located basically a block from the Panthers organization with as large a sports department as they have can't provide more coverage than a couple of one man operations from smaller papers.

Thought I read somewhere that Gantt actually lives in Charlotte.

And FB, that struck me too. The Observer offices are right next to the stadium. Their guys could literally walk over to the practice fields, and yet you haven't heard a peep out of them for a week now.

That's inexcusable :nonod:

The Observer's beat writers are probably either on furlough or they are taking writing lessons.

:biggrinjester:

You are going to see more of this across the country. There was a story on it on NPR a few weeks ago. McClatchy and the other major news publishers are going to be sharing more content between their own local papers to save costs. The Observer has also been publishing stories from the Raleigh paper as well.

I'm surprised with all of the cuts newspapers have been making because of the economy that they haven't cut back on some of the coverage. McClatchy as a company expends the resources of several employees covering the team. If you add up just one position covering the Panthers, it adds up. Salary, benefits, travel in Spartanburg, travel to every one of 10 away games, mileage, computer equipment, etc. Each position they allocate costs well over 100k prolly.

Archived