• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Many Are Worried About Our Offense...I Just Don't See The Problem

SetfreexX

The offense averaged 28.8 ppg (through the final 6), compared to 18.8 (through the first 10)...There was a graphic that displayed during the draft (Rd 1 I believe) that illustrated this. All this uproar about weapons, weapons, weapons is currently unwarranted.

When Chud got his head out his ass trying to run the read option as our base running game and we returned to more traditional runs the offense became much more effective, opening up play-action opportunities and easier reads as defenses had to begin to respect the run.

We've all seen what out WR's/HB's can do when healthy, and properly utilized-

Smitty: +1,100 yds each the last two seasons

Olsen: 843 yds (as the feature TE, ranked 10th best in the NFL at the position http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-2012-13-final-nfl-tight-end-rankings/22410/ )

LaFell: 677 yds (in his first full season as a starter as the 3rd option)

Hixon: 567 yds as the 3rd option in an crowded NYG receiving corps.

Gettis: 508 yds in his lone healthy season, with a revolving door full of untalented QB's as the 2nd/3rd option during the lame duck season and "Fox Ball" (ACL-now two yrs removed should be at 100%--Gettis is my X-Factor this season, and Panthers come back player of the year)

Factoring in an infusion of talent in our return men roles with the additions of Ginn and Barner, as much as Adams may improve I think he'll like just spell those two. But even in that scenario our offense should enjoy better field position from an improved special teams unit.

So while we did not draft offensively the way many of us were thinking/hoping (myself included), we really aren't as weak on offense as many of our fellow huddler's/experts would expect you to believe.

And keep in mind everything above does not even include getting Kalil back on the O-Line, and Williams/Stewart/Tolbert all coming back healthy, homerism aside I'd say any defensive coordinator is going to have their hands full scheming to keep all the talent we have in check.

I see that our defense was ranked higher than our offense last year. But 4/5 picks went to one side of the ball and 90% of our picks since Rivera arrived has all been defense. Now don't get me wrong I'm excited about our defense but you can't forget the other side of the ball.

Rivera said at the end of the season it was a priority to surround Cam with weapons. This leads me to believe he doesn't think we have enough on the roster already. The only additions were Hixon and Ginn. One is a decent receiver and the other a bust. Not exactly weapons

The offense averaged 28.8 ppg (through the final 6), compared to 18.8 (through the first 10)...There was a graphic that displayed during the draft (Rd 1 I believe) that illustrated this. All this uproar about weapons, weapons, weapons is currently unwarranted.

When Chud got his head out his ass trying to run the read option as our base running game and we returned to more traditional runs the offense became much more effective, opening up play-action opportunities and easier reads as defenses had to begin to respect the run.

We've all seen what out WR's/HB's can do when healthy, and properly utilized-

Smitty: +1,100 yds each the last two seasons

Olsen: 843 yds (as the feature TE, ranked 10th best in the NFL at the position http://www.footballn...rankings/22410/ )

LaFell: 677 yds (in his first full season as a starter as the 3rd option)

Hixon: 567 yds as the 3rd option in an crowded NYG receiving corps.

Gettis: 508 yds in his lone healthy season, with a revolving door full of untalented QB's as the 2nd/3rd option during the lame duck season and "Fox Ball" (ACL-now two yrs removed should be at 100%--Gettis is my X-Factor this season, and Panthers come back player of the year)

Factoring in an infusion of talent in our return men roles with the additions of Ginn and Barner, as much as Adams may improve I think he'll like just spell those two. But even in that scenario our offense should enjoy better field position from an improved special teams unit.

So while we did not draft offensively the way many of us were thinking/hoping (myself included), we really aren't as weak on offense as many of our fellow huddler's/experts would expect you to believe.

And keep in mind everything above does not even include getting Kalil back on the O-Line, and Williams/Stewart/Tolbert all coming back healthy, homerism aside I'd say any defensive coordinator is going to have their hands full scheming to keep all the talent we have in check.

Good Post.

I see that our defense was ranked higher than our offense last year. But 4/5 picks went to one side of the ball and 90% of our picks since Rivera arrived has all been defense. Now don't get me wrong I'm excited about our defense but you can't forget the other side of the ball.

Rivera said at the end of the season it was a priority to surround Cam with weapons. This leads me to believe he doesn't think we have enough on the roster already. The only additions were Hixon and Ginn. One is a decent receiver and the other a bust. Not exactly weapons

Plain and simple when Chud got his head out of his ass this offense took off. Plus they did add Hixon and may get Gettis back. Those would be upgrades and weapons. Hell we might decide to use Tolbert earlier this year.

Gettleman already has GM of the year in the bag IMHO. What he's done with our cap debacle, and the people he's added is a true testament to his overall football genius.

Our front 7 will be second to none, he's added some solid options to a crowded WR corps. Hell, he even added Barner who is like a triple threat, to an already crowded backfield. At least if DeAngelo or Stew go down, we have someone that can come in and give us that extra push.

Overall, I'm excited about our team this year, and with the moves he's made I feel confident we will shock some people this year, even with our schedule being as tough as it is.

The biggest problem with the offense is, who is going to be the #1 guy when Smitty retires or falls off...or heaven forbid gets injured? I thought they'd be drafting a guy in the 2nd round who could at least COMPETE for the #1 job in a year or two. But I guess Gettleman didn't see it as a priority, or didn't see anyone they liked.

Plain and simple when Chud got his head out of his ass this offense took off. Plus they did add Hixon and may get Gettis back. Those would be upgrades and weapons. Hell we might decide to use Tolbert earlier this year.

So you think that Shula will be better than Chud? Remember Rivera isn't an offensive guy so it's all on Shula. You can blame Chud all you want but the fact remains Rivera is still the head coach.

If Chud was fuging up the offense then Rivera is just as much to blame and he's still here.

So you think that Shula will be better than Chud? Remember Rivera isn't an offensive guy so it's all on Shula. You can blame Chud all you want but the fact remains Rivera is still the head coach.

If Chud was fuging up the offense then Rivera is just as much to blame and he's still here.

No I think he will be smarter then Chud. I think he will use a power set Run game to take pressure off Cam and the OLine. Instead of doing the (Chud) move of trying to reinvent the wheel and having a whole offense based around the Read Option. I think he will have Cam under center and let him do audibles unlike Chud. I Shula will have more of a connection to the roster and the rest of the coaching staff then Chud did.

Understandable, but take yourslf back to Cam's rookie year, and even last season where our defense lacked 2nd and 3rd level talent and depth (we witnessed this with injuries to Davis, R. Edwards, Beason, Gamble, etc.)

Meanwhile iirc in Cam's rookie season our offense was top 8 (I want to say 5 but I don't want to embelish), and following last year down the stretch we returned to being one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, and considering only Smitty/Williams will be 30+ as far as offensive weapons go we are young and talented offensively.

Our run defense was one of the worst in the league for both seasons, while we actually finished last season up top 15 vs the pass. We HAD to solidify the middle of our defense, and given only five draft selections (due to the previous GM) we maximized the opportunity to do just that solidifying our front seven for years to come especially if we retain Hardy.

And while Ginn busted as a 1st round receiver, he is still one of the more dangerous returnmen in the game a fact you shouldn't over look. He wasn't brought in to be the future, but he improves a very dismal aspect of our team which has the opportunity to put up points independently of our offense, that is a win for me. And who's to say that on underneath, vertical seams, and bubbles he can't contribute, because this offense last season lacked that threatening speed he possesses (not including Smith).

Hixon imo is just another vet who can come in and work and push LaFell to continue to improve as well as Gettis, he has hardware, he knows how be a pro, he worked with one of the best quarterbacks in the league, it would be silly to NOT believe that he will not help mentor our young receivers while also contributing at honestly what is likely the deepest position on our team (which has never been the case before--barring health).

Archived