• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oladipo at #4?

I personally believe he could become a superstar. At the very least, I think he will be a top 5 SG in the league.

Well, he's not a big man, but those are the two things he does best (outside of defense of course).

A SG should never be depended on being a rebounder and a points in the paint guy. Not to mention Victor is the same player MKG is just smaller.

If were drafting a SG I'd rather have a pure shooter day 1. Not a guy who was bad but got better in college.

If we didn't draft MKG last year I would love to have Victor but we did. They just don't make a good match together when both of their offensive game is iffy.

I'm going to try and keep this semi-short.

For those of you that like Oladipo (and want to draft him), be prepare to win games at 70 ppg or less. Like others have stated, Oladipo is essentially the shooting guard version of MKG.

Unfortunately for Oladipo, I don't think that is necessarily a good thing (that he is so similar to MKG). A 6'4 slashing (he didn't shoot 60% from the field because he was good three point shooter) shooting guard is going to have an uphill battle to be a good player in the NBA, but if anyone can do it, it's Victor. One thing that Victor has got going for him is the fact that he is a phenomenal defender.

I will say this, if any of you guys are the one's that have bashed Gerald Henderson's offensive game, and are now wanting to draft Victor Oladipo... please explain this rationale to me...

For those of you that like Oladipo (and want to draft him), be prepare to win games at 70 ppg or less. Like others have stated, Oladipo is essentially the shooting guard version of MKG.

Unfortunately for Oladipo, I don't think that is necessarily a good thing (that he is so similar to MKG). A 6'4 slashing (he didn't shoot 60% from the field because he was good three point shooter) shooting guard is going to have an uphill battle to be a good player in the NBA, but if anyone can do it, it's Victor. One thing that Victor has got going for him is the fact that he is a phenomenal defender.

I will say this, if any of you guys are the one's that have bashed Gerald Henderson's offensive game, and are now wanting to draft Victor Oladipo... please explain this rationale to me...

Good Post finally.

I went to bed 3 hours ago, randomly woke up, and can't go back to sleep so you'll have to forgive me for any misspellings and bad grammar and such.

Preface: The following is my opinion. I have watched around 20 games of Indiana's this year and probably close to 10 hours of highlights and videos of Oladipo so I'm not talking completely out of my butt. Most of you will not agree with me but most of you haven't seen as much of Oladipo as me either (not to say that makes my opinion right either). This is my opinion, and I'm going to attempt to sell you on him.

I'll give you that Oladipo was not a 3 point shooter in college. However, he wasn't needed to be either. This past season, Indiana had 4 guys who took at least 2 3-pointers a game (and Oladipo was close behind at 1.9). Indiana put up 13 3-pointers a game and made >40% of them between 4 players- Christian Watford, Jordan Hulls, Will Sheehey, and Yogi Ferrell. For that reason, Oladipo was not needed to hit 3's. However, he was still able to knock down 44% of his 2 3-point attempts per game, most being spot up jumpers.

Oladipo's role at IU was to play defense, slash to the basket, and finish in transition. Being the runner up in POTY shows that he performed his role very well. With the four previously mentioned teammates stretching the floor on the outside and Cody Zeller finishing 56% of his 10 attempts per game on the inside, practically anything that Oladipo contributed on the offensive end was icing on the cake. Or at least that's what you would think...

When you break it down to games against ranked teams (9 games), Oladipo averaged almost 17 points a game on 11.5 attempts (on 57%). Against unranked teams, Oladipo averaged 13 points a game on 7.6 attempts (on 62%). So in the big games, they made Oladipo a bigger part of the offense. He averaged 4 attempts more per game in the big games and scored a VERY respectable 17 points per game. In comparison, McLemore made about 14 points per game on 10.5 attempts against ranked teams on 49% (even less in all categories when you account for the tournament).

When Oladipo was needed to step up and make a play, he did. He did this is several ways. He made clutch steals, blocks, and many of you saw his clutch 3 pointer against Temple in the tournament. Between his clutch play and his ability to take on a bigger role and convert a very high percentage of his shots against ranked teams, I don't think Oladipo will have much trouble being asked to take on a bigger offensive role in the NBA while adding his tremendous defense to the Cats/Hornets (or whoever picks him).

With all the statistical points aside, there are also subjective reasons that I believe Oladipo will do well in the NBA (and this is gonna be the part that most people disagree with). I know that it makes people uncomfortable when others make comparisons to some of the great NBA players. With that being said, I actually like the Wade comparison. Watching high school and early college Oladipo highlights, you can see some of that D-Wade ability to get to the rim and finish. He can operate in tight spaces, rise up, and finish in so many different ways at the rim. Watch his high school tapes and Pro-Am Summer League tapes (these are before his improved jumper and show his misses too so it's not completely a highlight tape). You can see his ability to get to the rim and, the part that looks the most like D-Wade, finish through contact for the And-1. I know people don't want to compare him to Wade because Wade is so strong on offense and was in college as well.

However, when you break down the stats, Wade's sophomore year, he averaged 21.6 points per game in 32.2 minutes. When you adjust Oladipo's junior stats to 32.2 minutes, he averaged 15.4 points per game. That's a 6 point difference between he and Wade. However, Wade was able to get 3 more points per game on 3.7 more free throws (that is, Wade took 3.7 more free throws than Oladipo and converted 3 more than Oladipo per game). Take those 3 extra away and they are 3 points apart. Now you're probably saying that you can't just take 3 points away. I understand that. And that's not what I mean to do. But let's be honest. Wade was practically Marquette's entire offense that year. Oladipo was the 5th option on offense. It's a completely legitimate argument to say that if Oladipo really WAS Wade then he wouldn't be the 5th option. I will concede that you have a point. But for the sake of argument, I'm going to continue.

So, we were at Wade scoring 6 more points and only 3 more when you take away the 3 points from free throws. "But you can't do that!". Well, my point was that Wade was a bigger part of his offense. With the minute adjustment, Wade was still taking 5 attempts more per game than Oladipo. So basically Oladipo would have to play 3 halves instead of 2 to match the attempts Wade took. In that extra half and with those extra 5 attempts per game, I'm fairly certain that Oladipo could match those 3 points (or 6 if you don't even take away the free throws!).

I understand that the Wade comparison is extrapolating data and hypotheticals. However, I think I made a decent case even before the Wade comparison. I would like to see what you have to say to both parts because I'm sure I'll get ripped apart for the Wade part and everyone will ignore the part before that.

Not to ruffle any feathers but the comparisons of Oladipo to MKG are not accurate.

Oladipo's offensive game is about 1000x more advanced than MKG.

Oladipo has good rhythm on his jump shot. He has great elevation on his jumper. Oladipo usually has a great follow through on his jump shot.

He has great upper body strength and body control that helps him finish with ease around the basket.

If he can develop the ability to take and make contested shots off the dribble (which I think he has the ability to do with the elevation he gets on his jumper) he will be incredibly difficult to defend 1 on 1.

The only thing I see that is comparable to MKG is their motors.

That's what Ive been saying. I know he's been getting the MJ and Wade comparison, but no one is really that stupid to see that of him. I dont see those comparisons when I watched him. He's the same, maybe a little more athletic than Hendo only. He's going to be a 14-16 ppg player at best.

I can see why people compare his game to MJ as I have thought the same thing.  Their games are very similar.  But that doesn't mean I think he will be anywhere close to the player MJ was.  Just that their games reflect one another.

I'm not sure if that even makes sense.  I'm basically saying that Oladipo's style emulates that of Jordan.

Not to ruffle any feathers but the comparisons of Oladipo to MKG are not accurate.

Oladipo has good rhythm on his jump shot. He has great elevation on his jumper. Oladipo usually has a great follow through on his jump shot.

He has great upper body strength and body control that helps him finish with ease around the basket.

If he can develop the ability to take and make contested shots off the dribble (which I think he has the ability to do with the elevation he gets on his jumper) he will be incredibly difficult to defend 1 on 1.

Oladipo scores in transition and on catch and shoot jumpers, both of which I think he will do well in the pros.  He cant create his own shot off the dribble though, and expecting him to develop that part of his game once he gets to the NBA is like expecting MKG to develop a good 3 point shot- its rather optimistic.

I like Oladipo, but he doesnt have much upside (he is already a year and a half older than MKG).  Best case scenario I see Andre Iguodala minus the ball-handling

You must remember Victor is a JR. Unlike MKG who came out his freshman year. So if MKG stay at UK you might see the same improvement that Victor made from his freshman year.

The points is both player are know for their defense and high motor more then their offense. Having two of those players together doesn't help the offense as much.

What's Oladipo potential? Superstar or role player?

I say Role Player. Unfortunately I still can't see any of these players turning into Superstars. Too many question marks concerning them. 

1. Noel: Never Superstar but solid Center with some all-star appearances 

2. McLemore: Most Allstar potential or just disappear to become average role player

3. Trey Burke: Lead a good team to the playoffs but wouldn't excel as the best player

4. Bazz: Volume shooter and possible all-star appearances

5. Bennett: I am just not convinced by his game translating

6. Len & Zeller: Great chances at all-star appearances due to lack of quality Centers in the league 

Archived