• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF Pass Rusher Profile: CJ and Hardy

Ken

Excellent write up as usual by PFF and an in depth analysis of what they did last season.

In the previous installments in this series we’ve looked at some of the league’s premier individual pass rushers, but for our sixth we’re going to run a combination and take a look at one of the league’s emerging pass-rusher partnerships.
Since the Panthers lost Julius Peppers to Chicago in the 2010 free agency period they have won only 15 games, but in spite of such a high profile loss, their defensive end pairing has gradually flourished into one of the league’s better pairings. In that first season without Peppers it was Charles Johnson who shone en route to collecting 78 total pressures and a 4-3 defensive end best 14.1 Pass Rushing Productivity rating. Though 2011 was a significant step backward for Johnson, his raise back to prominence in 2012 coincided with Greg Hardy’s continued gradual growth to give the Panthers an excellent and productive defensive end duo despite of the lack of any sort of inside presence throughout this period.

Strengths
Johnson:  Outside pass rush (26 total pressures, pressure every 18.9 pass rushes)
Hardy: Inside pass rush (16 total pressures, 56.3% conversion rate)

Weakness
Conversion Rate: 
Johnson: 75 total pressures, 33.3% conversion rate
Hardy: No obvious weakness

Chief Victim
Tyler Polumbus: 11 total pressures (one game)
Donald Penn: 11 total pressures (two games)

Troublesome Opponent
New York Giants: 1 Ht, 1 Hurry combined (Week 3

johnson-hardy-profile1.png

Link to full article.

Gettlemen has made it clear that he values the defense, the defensive line, and pass rushers.  I would think that he would not sleep if he allowed Hardy to go free agent....

I would sign a RG for a season to allow Kugbila to develop, and I would lock Hardy up.  It would be nice to enter the 2014 offseason with Lafell as your biggest contract decision.

Gettlemen has made it clear that he values the defense, the defensive line, and pass rushers. I would think that he would not sleep if he allowed Hardy to go free agent....

I would sign a RG for a season to allow Kugbila to develop, and I would lock Hardy up. It would be nice to enter the 2014 offseason with Lafell as your biggest contract decision.

2014 is Cam's contract year, I'd consider that a bigger deal than LaFell. . .

2014 is Cam's contract year, I'd consider that a bigger deal than LaFell. . .

I consider this the 2013 offseason-semantics, I guess.  Next year, Lafell is up.  The following year, Cam is up but he has a fifth year option, so we actually have him for 3 more season, as I understand it.   

Archived