• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty's OTA observations

PantherFeez

Outside New Orleans and their circus. The Rams GSOT. There aren't too many combinations that have had two.

I don't have the time to do that sort of research but my bet you won't find too many Super Bowl champs with 2. (I may be wrong and like I said I don't have time to do the research)

Shouldn't the passing game reflect total yards? What if the play is designed to a running back? Or better yet what about when the down field options are not there. Would you rather force throw to improve your WRs stats or dump off to a TE or RB?

I would love to see someone step up and become a 1000 yd receiver opposite to Smitty but I also think yds passing by the QB is more important than Yds completed by a WR.

One team in the 2012 Superbowl had them.

Both teams in 2011 Superbowl had them.

That is including a TE as a WR....and if they are 1000k they are a WR

Outside New Orleans and their circus.  The Rams GSOT.  There aren't too many combinations that have had two. 

I don't have the time to do that sort of research but my bet you won't find too many Super Bowl champs with 2. (I may be wrong and like I said I don't have time to do the research)

Shouldn't the passing game reflect total yards?  What if the play is designed to a running back?  Or better yet what about when the down field options are not there.  Would you rather force throw to improve your WRs stats or dump off to a TE or RB?

I would love to see someone step up and become a 1000 yd receiver opposite to Smitty but I also think yds passing by the QB is more important than Yds completed by a WR.

you asked how many times have the panthers had 2 1k receivers on the team and i was just pointing out that just because we haven't had them isn't a ringing endorsement for not having them. passing game has always taken a back seat to the run game as far as commitments and priorities and it hasn't exactly resulted in success.

we have two RBs that were taken in the first round on the team now. how many first round WRs WRshave we ever had? how much real effort has been put into finding a WR that can pull double coverage off smith? we've made feeble attempts and got the results to match. maybe a shift in priorities is needed. 

It's not even training camp yet people.

This.

if you are looking to criticize Smitty's comments, then you are ignoring the fact that Ginn has been getting positive comments from Rivera.  Hixon and Gettis have been given some praise as well.

Maybe he is just fueling the competition, but he already mentioned the meeting room was tense.  No need. 

As for the DBs being mentioned, the defense is always ahead of the offense at this time of year.  Besides, sometimes during drills you run the same routes (first team, second team, etc) and the DBs know what is coming.

The only thing i got out of this:  Josh Thomas is ballin.  I thought so. He is no longer raw. Good news.

One team in the 2012 Superbowl had them.

Both teams in 2011 Superbowl had them.

That is including a TE as a WR....and if they are 1000k they are a WR

If they are a TE, they are NOT a WR...no matter their stats.

But, by your logic, we are fine. If used properly, Ilsen is absolutely a 1,000 yard TE.....so that gives us two.

The Dirtybirds had two receivers with basically 1200+ yards and a TE 70 yards shy of 1000....just saying.....

I don't think anyone would argue that it would not have been great to add another elite WR.

But, with our cap space, adding an 8-10m per year WR would have been crazy. The only place in the draft to add a guy like Hopkins was at 14. And taking him over Star would have been idiotic...even though I really liked him.

There were no WR's at 44 that were worth that pick...and anything in the 4th or later is just a late round crap shoot.

Many are cla miring for Lloyd. But there is a reason he us unemployed and had gone through more teams than most played do socks. That is because he is a complete head case.

We are not elite at WR, but we are better than we have been for the past two seasons....and Cam threw for 8,000 yds in that timeframe.

I've been saying we need a Smitty replacement for three off seasons now.  Yea I wouldn't have taken Hopkins over Star, but I definitely would have made some different choices in Free Agency and signed Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace or another young number one in Free Agency....

I've been saying we need a Smitty replacement for three off seasons now.  Yea I wouldn't have taken Hopkins over Star, but I definitely would have made some different choices in Free Agency and signed Vincent Jackson, Mike Wallace or another young number one in Free Agency....

We could not afford 8-10M a year for another WR with the cap situation we are and have been in for a few seasons.  Why people can't grasp that is beyond me.

We could not afford 8-10M a year for another WR with the cap situation we are and have been in for a few seasons.  Why people can't grasp that is beyond me.

Notice I said I would have made different choices in Free Agency?  As in not giving both running backs huge deals and signing a Mike LB with an achilles injury to a contract with monster guarantees.....

you asked how many times have the panthers had 2 1k receivers on the team and i was just pointing out that just because we haven't had them isn't a ringing endorsement for not having them. passing game has always taken a back seat to the run game as far as commitments and priorities and it hasn't exactly resulted in success.

we have two RBs that were taken in the first round on the team now. how many first round WRs WRshave we ever had? how much real effort has been put into finding a WR that can pull double coverage off smith? we've made feeble attempts and got the results to match. maybe a shift in priorities is needed. 

I am hopeful, that despite the lack of flashy additions at receiver, it doesn't mean the Panthers won't be airing the ball out (crossed fingers). Sometimes the solutions, are in what you already have. 

This means, Olsen, Lafell, a 2nd tight end, an unknown WR (hopefully Gettis, Ginn or even Bryant), and the backs, would have to pull their weight, take pressure off Smitty, or increase their receiving statistics from 2012??

Let's hope so?

Notice I said I would have made different choices in Free Agency?  As in not giving both running backs huge deals and signing a Mike LB with an achilles injury to a contract with monster guarantees.....

I don't disagree with you on any of those points.  However, they were under Hurney and are water under the bridge.

Our cap situation was created pre Gett and pre Cam.  Under Hurney/Fox, the entire team was built around a servicable passing game and a dominant running game....and they spent the cap space that way.

Gett is trying to change that.  But, with the structure of the contracts that Hurney handed out, it will take more than one offseason to fix this.

Given our desperate needs on the DLine and terrible cap situation, I think that Gett has done a great job turning a huge weakness into a strength (DLine) while upgrading the WR corps.  Ginn/Hixon is a definitely upgrade at the #3 and #4 positions over Murphy and Pilares.

You will also note that the teams that have that stud #2 have done so through the draft.  You cannot afford to have two WR's on the roster (both making $10M per season).  So, adding a big dollar FA (ala Jackson or Wallace) is done when Smitty retires.  I will bet you that we go WR in the first next season and have him under Smitty for 2 seasons.

Give it a little time....there is definitely a changing of the guard with the Panthers.

Technically the Cap situation was created in Ron Rivera's first year.  That's why it was so questionable.  So much money handed out to players that Rivera had never even coached before, and didn't know if they fit with his system....

I am hopeful, that despite the lack of flashy additions at receiver, it doesn't mean the Panthers won't be airing the ball out (crossed fingers). Sometimes the solutions, are in what you already have. 

This means, Olsen, Lafell, a 2nd tight end, an unknown WR (hopefully Gettis, Ginn or even Bryant), and the backs, would have to pull their weight, take pressure off Smitty, or increase their receiving statistics from 2012??

Let's hope so?

This is my hope as well.

I like what Gett has done at WR for this season.  He has upgraded the position while adding absolutely no long term dollars past this year.  He is trying to give us flexibility for the futute.

Archived