• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Donates $10 Million to Charlotte 49ers!

Niner National

Florio brings up interesting point:

The irony in that last part is obvious to anyone in Charlotte who thinks Richardson should be paying for upgrades to the football stadium he owns. The man who doesn’t like to be asked for money asked aggressively and repeatedly for taxpayer funds. Though he didn’t get everything he wanted, Richardson came away with $8.75 for every $1 he donated to get his name on the local college’s stadium.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/richardson-creates-stir-with-10-million-donation/

When did they get a football team? Is this still primarily a commuter school?

This fall is our first year. This has been in the works for the last 7 years. 

Most of our students drive to school because the infrastructure around University City sucks for walking, but we have a higher % of students living within a mile of campus than Chapel Hill does. Are they a commuter school?

Our % of students that live on campus is in line with the other major universities in the state.

The Charlotte 49ers will take the field on McColl-Richardson field in Jerry Richardson stadium.

Couldn't be happier.

Combined with his earlier donation in conjunction with Hugh McColl, Jerry has donated approximately $11 million to the university this year.

Jerry approached the school, the school did not approach him.

Can't wait for August 31st!

Love this. I just transferred to UNCC from another 4-year school. It's weird and exciting knowing that I now go to a school with a football team, even if it's just their first year and they very well may not be good at all.

He brings up an interesting counter-point as well.

"On one hand, we understand the distinction.  Richardson got public money to help fund the upgrades because that’s part of the reality of NFL stadium economics.  Having a team in town benefits the city financially; at some point, the city should acknowledge that with a financial contribution.  Whether the owner of the team can afford to provide the money he’s seeking is irrelevant to whether the taxpayers should bear part of the total burden."

I am excited that the Panthers organization is embracing the 49ers football program.  I never expected this much support.  Getting a name like Jerry Richardson on your stadium gives you instant credibility in this community and in the football world.

Our coaching staff also has a good relationship with the Panthers and regularly attend practices.  Here is HC Brad Lambert with Ron Rivera last week at OTA's.

969408_466305806789595_492066106_n.jpg

Well let's hope these players can stay out of trouble. My bro in law is a UNCC campus police and he said they've been catching these guys in trouble lately.

One reason Davidson got rid of D-1 football in the 80's was because of all the mayhem the football players caused. 

One reason Davidson got rid of D-1 football in the 80's was because of all the mayhem the football players caused. 

Davidson is still D-1. They play non-scholarship in the Pioneer League. It is FCS level, but that is still technically D1. All of your sports have to be played within the same division. You cannot have some in D1 and others in D2 or D3.

Pioneer league football is probably about the same caliber as D3 football, but it is technically D1.

Davidson is still D-1. They play non-scholarship in the Pioneer League. It is FCS level, but that is still technically D1. All of your sports have to be played within the same division. You cannot have some in D1 and others in D2 or D3.

Pioneer league football is probably about the same caliber as D3 football, but it is technically D1.

It's I-AA which was invented to allow teams like Davidson to play true D-1 in some sports and not get crushed in others

Archived