• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle Recipe Book

Hawk

yeah it is a little confusing.  Buy the hawaiian rolls that come in a squarish pan.  Turn the pan over and all the rolls will come out still attached.  Using a very sharp knife, cut sideways through the middle, separating the top halves from the bottom halves.  I just put the bottom of the rolls, still attached to each other for the most part, and put them back in the pan.  It's basically like a big piece of bread

that forms the base.

then add everything else and put the top of the rolls back on top.  Cook and then run a knife down

the sides of each roll to separate them, so folks can pick them out of the pan.

not to mention I copied a recipe I don't use.  I put all the mixture in between the 2 slabs of bread.

sorry I didn't notice that before.

yeah it is a little confusing.  Buy the hawaiian rolls that come in a squarish pan.  Turn the pan over and all the rolls will come out still attached.  Using a very sharp knife, cut sideways through the middle, separating the top halves from the bottom halves.  I just put the bottom of the rolls, still attached to each other for the most part, and put them back in the pan.  It's basically like a big piece of bread

that forms the base.

then add everything else and put the top of the rolls back on top.  Cook and then run a knife down

the sides of each roll to separate them, so folks can pick them out of the pan.

Got it! Thanks

Simple little cheese slaw...but awesome.

1lb block of swiss cheese (Food lion cheapo is fine) and shred on largest

half jar (smallish jar) of those Mt Olive diced jalapeno peppers drained

half jar (smallish jar) of Mt Olive mile bananna peppers drained

3 tablespoons Duke mayo

Tops off bundle of green onions sliced into little pieces

Dice the banana pepper rings into small pieces.  Mix everything above adding mayo if needed.  Kind of a dryish slaw with mayo doing nothing more than to hold everything together. (for the record...I despise mayo and love this).

Eat with Wheat Thins.  Good to just put out for people to snack on before dinner.

I like these so much I don't make em for parties anymore, just myself.

Bacon Cheese Puffs

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound sliced bacon
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
1 pound sliced pumpernickel party bread

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to broil.
3. In a medium bowl combine the bacon, cheese, mustard and mayonnaise. Stir well. Arrange party bread on a cookie sheet. Spoon mixture onto each slice of bread.
4. Broil for 5 minutes, or until bubbly.

Simple little cheese slaw...but awesome.

1lb block of swiss cheese (Food lion cheapo is fine) and shred on largest

half jar (smallish jar) of those Mt Olive diced jalapeno peppers drained

half jar (smallish jar) of Mt Olive mile bananna peppers drained

3 tablespoons Duke mayo

Tops off bundle of green onions sliced into little pieces

Dice the banana pepper rings into small pieces.  Mix everything above adding mayo if needed.  Kind of a dryish slaw with mayo doing nothing more than to hold everything together. (for the record...I despise mayo and love this).

Eat with Wheat Thins.  Good to just put out for people to snack on before dinner.

That sounds good put I despise swiss cheese. Can you taste the swiss or is there an alternate cheese that works just as well?

This is really really tasty

Honey Basil Vinaigrette Dressing

Recipe makes 1 -1/2 cups

1 cup olive oil

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup honey

3 handfuls chopped fresh basil

2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions

In a blender or food processor, blend together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, basil, and garlic. Pour over or toss with your favorite salad to serve.

This is not my recipe, but my GF and I make it alot. 

INGREDIENTS COST 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts $3.96 2 large eggs $0.30 1/4 cup coconut milk (optional) $0.16 1/2 cup all purpose flour $0.28 1 cup panko bread crumbs $0.43 1 cup shredded coconut $0.50 1/2 tsp salt $0.05 1/2 cup vegetable oil, divided $0.29 1 cup sweet chili sauce $0.94 TOTAL   $6.91

STEP 1: Cut off any extra fat globules from your chicken breasts. Cut each breast into 6 strips, diagonally to prevent the end strips from being really short. See photos below.

STEP 2: Prepare your breading station by gathering three bowls. In the first bowl combine the flour and salt. In the second bowl, combine the eggs and coconut milk. Whisk together until well combined. In the third bowl, stir together the panko bread crumbs and shredded coconut.

STEP 3: Place 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a large heavy duty skillet and heat over medium/high heat until it is just below smoking. You can test the heat by throwing in a little bit of flour. When it is hot enough, the flour will sizzle and create a lot of bubbles.

STEP 4: While the oil is heating, dredge the chicken strips. First, coat each strip in the flour and salt mixture. Then dip each into the eggs/coconut milk and finally coat each in panko and shredded coconut. I find it easiest to coat all of them in the flour then go back and then do the egg wash and panko/coconut for each before moving onto the next.

STEP 5: After breading the strips, the oil should be hot enough. Place about 6 strips in the pan at once. There should only be one layer in the pan and there should be about an inch between each strip. If you over crowd the pan it will get too cold and the strips will soak up a lot of oil instead of frying. Fry the strips for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy. Place them on a plate with paper towel to drain and move on to the next batch. After a couple of batches you may need more oil so you can add the second 1/4 cup to the pan. Allow the oil to come up to temperature before frying the next batch (2-3 minutes). Because the strips are thin, they should be cooked through by the time both sides are browned. You can tell by the texture of the chicken; it should be stiff when pressed. If you cut your strips thicker, you will need to bake off the chicken after frying to make sure the insides are cooked through.

STEP 6: When all of the strips are done frying, serve immediately with sweet chili sauce to dip in. I garnished mine with a little bit of chopped cilantro.

Step By Step Photos
I only made two breasts worth today…

slice%20chicken.jpg
Cut each breast into six strips, diagonally.

dredge%20chicken.jpg
Set up your dredging station with three bowls: flour/salt, egg/coconut milk and panko/coconut.

dredged%20chicken.jpg
Coat each chicken strip in flour, egg then panko/coconut. When they’re coated they will look like this. Now they’re ready to fry!

fry%20chicken.jpg
Fry each strip for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.

fried%20chicken.jpg
Drain the coconut chicken on paper towel to absorb the extra oil.

NOTE: Make sure to buy your boneless, skinless chicken breast in value pack sized containers. Buying this way you can save $1 or more per pound! I bought these as part of a 10 lb. pack for $1.98 per pound. When I got home, I packaged the breasts two per bag and froze them. That way I can take out the quantity I need when I’m ready to cook.

One thing I wish I had done differently with this recipe is to put the coconut into a food processor prior to mixing with the panko crumbs. I feel like if they coconut had been in slightly smaller bits, it would have adhered and covered the chicken more completely. I would have just pulsed the coconut in the processor a couple of times to make the bits about half their size.

If you can’t find panko crumbs, you can use regular bread crumbs, although the breading will be much more dense. You can also try crushing some rice chex as they are a similar texture to panko (another helpful hint from the handsome fish monger!).

As I mentioned, the sweet chili sauce is a huge part of what makes this dish delicious. I have found sweet chili sauce at major grocery stores in the Asian section. Check around because it’s pretty popular. Once you open the bottle it should stay good in your refrigerator for quite some time and it’s good on A LOT of stuff so don’t worry about the rest of the bottle going to waste!

marinated portobello taco's

Been vegan/no oil for almost 2 years now and fix this at least once a week.  From "Forks Over Knives" cookbook.

Marinade = 3 tbs brown rice syrup, 3 tbs low sodium soy, heap of chopped ginger and heap of chopped garlic, fresh ground black pepper.

Slice 3 large portobello's, sliced, increase marinade with more (typically I double), marinade overnight.

Make a batch of Salsa Verde~  1 lb. tomatillo's(husks removed, chopped)  2-3 poblano's (roasted,skinned), 6 green onions, 2 cups cilantro leaves, 4-6 garlic cloves, 1 serrano chile (seeded or unseeded depending on heat preference), zest of 2 limes, salt, mix in food processor.  Set aside.  I also like to make this a day ahead for flavors to meld.

Grill the shrooms, indoor on grill pan or outdoors.

heat non-stick skillet to med-high and heat corn tortillas for a few minutes per side. (no oil necessary if correct heat)

prepare with diced red onion and chopped romaine and serve immediately.  Make a lot.

very easy, very good

Cheddar Ranch Dip

This dip is similar to other bacon and Cheddar dips, but with a cool, creamy kick! Enjoy it with tortilla chips, celery sticks, or use it as a sandwich spread."

INGREDIENTS:
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
1 (1 ounce) package dry Ranch-style dressing mix
1 (3 ounce) can bacon bits
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, thoroughly blend the sour cream and ranch-style dressing mix. Mix in the bacon bits and Cheddar cheese. Chill in the refrigerator 20 minutes or longer before serving.

Awesome Peanut Brittle

1 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 pinch salt (optional)

1 tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

In a microwave safe glass bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Cook in microwave for 6 to 7 minutes on High (700 W this is important don't forget to check your wattage); mixture should be bubbly. Stir in butter and vanilla and peanuts; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.

Quickly stir in baking soda, just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto parchment lined baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes, or until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

This is the easiest peanut brittle you will ever make and it is superb. Don't let the fact that its made in a microwave scare you, I promise its good. Fug standing over a hot pot stirring liquid sugar lava. 

Bacon Tomato Cups

8 slices crisp crumbled bacon

1 med tomato, seeded

½ small onion

1 10 oz can layered refrigerated biscuits

½ c mayo

1 tsp basil

3 oz swiss cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375* F.

Coarsely chop tomato and onion.

Mix all ingredients except biscuits.

Separate each biscuit into three separate layers.

Lay each biscuit into a mini muffin pan cup.

Fill the cups will the filling.

Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

* Can be made ahead and fill the cups at a later time.

These are awesome for parties.

BAKED ROTEL MACARONI and CHEESE

Ingredients:

• 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 can (10 oz.) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook macaroni as directed on package;
drain and set aside.  Melt butter over low heat.  Stir in flour; cook
1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly.  Stir
in milk; heat to a boil; stirring constantly.  Reduce heat and simmer until
thickened, about 1 minute.  Add cheese and RO*TEL.  Stir until cheese
is melted, then remove from heat.  Stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
Transfer to an ungreased 9 x 12-inch baking dish.  Bake uncovered 30
minutes or until heated through. Or put in a crock pot and top with cheese. 

Archived