• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Horncats interested in Al Jefferson

carpanfan96

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2013/07/charlotte-bobcats-reportedly-interested-in-jazz-center-al-jefferson.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Charlotte Bobcats have reportedly reached out to representatives for Utah Jazz center Al Jefferson to gauge his interest in signing here.

CBSSports.com reported overnight that the Bobcats are pursuing Jefferson, who completed his ninth season in the NBA. At 28 Jefferson has career averages of 16.4 points and 9.0 rebounds.

His defense is atrocious, he's a blackhole on offense, and he's going to get overpaid. On the other hand, he's good enough to make us less depressing to watch but not good enough to take us out of the drivers seat for Wiggins. 

I don't expect us to get him because he's probably tired of being on bad/rebuilding teams and he will get major interest from more competitive ones. 

His defense is atrocious, he's a blackhole on offense, and he's going to get overpaid. On the other hand, he's good enough to make us less depressing to watch but not good enough to take us out of the drivers seat for Wiggins. 

I don't expect us to get him because he's probably tired of being on bad/rebuilding teams and he will get major interest from more competitive ones. 

that sounds about as appealing as staying the night at Grit's place

Looks like the Mavericks will be interested as well if they don't land Dwight Howard. 

Al Jefferson: The Mavs almost traded for him before acquiring Chandler. Nowitzki has mentioned his name several times this week as a potential backup plan if the Mavs miss out on Howard.

The 6-foot-10, 289-pound Jefferson, who averaged 17.8 points and 9.2 rebounds for the Jazz last season, would be by far the best low-block scorer to ever be paired with Nowitzki. He’s vastly improved as a passer out of double-teams the last couple of years, increasing his assists and cutting down his turnovers. He’d take a ton of pressure off the 35-year-old face of the franchise on the offensive end.

What about defense? Oh, boy, a Dirk/Jefferson pairing might be a disaster. Despite being a little short for a big man, Jefferson is an adequate rim protector, but he’s Kaman-esque as a pick-and-roll defender. That isn’t going to get any better if his ample backside expands as the 28-year-old Jefferson ages.

The defensive concerns, along with dollars and the draft picks Minnesota was demanding, caused the Mavs to back away from trade talks involving Jefferson in the summer of 2010. But he might end up being the Mavs’ best big-man option this summer, especially if the price tag is around $10 million per year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4696606/free-agent-cs-backup-plans-if-dwight-doesnt-come-to-dallas

Id be cool with it.  I mean, are we really going to be greedy here?  If Jefferson wants to sign here, sure, he has weaknesses but hes one of the best offensive big men in the game, and pairing him with Zeller and Biyombo down low gives us a very good front court to build around.

Agree. In no way am I going to be greedy. Jefferson is one of the top or better big man in the league. At this point I don't really care if he's a liability on defense. His size and offense would bold well with Biyombo protecting the rim. Its been pretty tough for this franchise to find a big who can put some points up on the board, so Im definitely not complaining unless you want 5PPG from Biz. Jefferson would probably be the best player to ever player for the Bobcats and would be a great piece to build for next year with. Also to mention, we'd still be pretty bad.

...and who knows.  Maybe we still get one of Wiggins, Parker, Randle, or Gordon.  I think all 4 of those guys are going to be STARS in this league, and if we land one of them, and have Jefferson along with 2 other 1st rd picks and decent cap space, the Charlotte Hornets will be right back to contending.

Kemba

Wiggins

MKG

Zeller

Jefferson

Sessions(re-sign)

Henderson

Taylor
Draft Pick/FA

Biyombo

Say what you want about the weaknesses of that potential team, but I think it can grow into one of the best in the East. 

Archived