• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the steve smith post

nickzz

If he never wins the Superbowl, his chances are pretty low I think. If he ranks in the top 3 receivers in the league this season and maybe one more, and gets to the playoffs it will be close. I have been watching NFlL football for 30 years and Smitty is a rare, almost uncanny, athlete.

This organization is lucky to have a player like Smitty ( despite the anger management issues). The article puts Smitty's career in context based on the QB. Obviously, Delhomme had the most success. He does have a pretty good connection with Cam. I think he needs at least 3 more seasons as a starter before he considers hanging up the boots.

There's a whole bunch of WR's who haven't won the Superbowl but i'll leave this list with his contemporaries.

Steve Smith -        8 Games -  5 Playoff wins.  47 receptions - 782 Yards 16.6 YPC 7 TDs / 45 rush Yards - 1 TD 

Larry Fitzgerald -  6 Games -  4 Playoff wins.  42 receptions - 705 Yards, 16.7 YPC 9 TDS

Andre Johnson -   4 Games -  2 Playoff wins.  25 receptions - 358 Yards, 14.3 YPC 1 TD

last thursday watching him toss Cary Williams to the ground like a bitch made me stop and think, wow I am really going to miss this guy. I think we can take him for granted because he is just always around... I couldn't even imagine watching this team without 89 out there.

One thing that may help smitty's hof case is his return touchdown total. Keep in mind smitty has four career punt return Tds and 2kickoff return Tds.

I'm not sure where other receivers in the hall rank on the return list but it can only help 89's case.

Another note about smitty. He is currently the active leader in the nfl for all purpose yards and is 18th all time.

If he amasses 2400 more yards (800 yards per season) over his next three years he will finish his career at 9th all time for all purpose yards.

Only trailing these names: Jerry rice, Brian Mitchel, emitt smith, Walter Payton, Tim brown, Marshall Faulk, Barry sanders, and ladanian Tomlinson.

Pretty stout company.

If Smith wins a ring he wont be a consideration, he'll easily get in.  Easily the best career highlight reel of any football player, top tier stats, garners oodles of respect from his peers and colleagues, as threatening of a ball carrier, blocker and return man as he is a receiver and jumped over numerous hurdles and naysayers to get to where he got.  Without a ring, he's got a shot at making it, but a ring will guarantee a bust in canton.

Archived