• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you are interested, more statistical evidence that offense actually wasn't that big of an issue

teeray

We'll see - the playcalling looked an awful lot like what Shula has always been known for, which is part of why so many are concerned.  Maybe it was exactly what should have happened, but for once, I'd like to actually beat a decent team handily.  Ah well, I think this team has potential still, I just fear that Shula isn't going to be able to adjust to what other teams are doing.

well said and very much agreed.

I would like for you to do this after every game, win or lose. I think it would be good to see how it fluctuates and can use as a tool to measure our success.

I'll try.  I usually do some statistical stuff about some of the stats after the games, even if it is just listing off where we stand.

It might not be exactly like this, but it will be similar.

I was a BIG Shula skeptic but I have to say overall I was pleased with the play calling. 

The only thing I had an issue with was the 3rd and 2 on the 1st drive. We were gashing SEA on the ground and Shula lines up in a SG formation and calls a passing play. I dont mind passing IF the defense is stacking the box but for christ sakes do a play action pass or an option with Cam and Deangelo. 

One other thing, I wish we would go to a more zone blocking running game. I think it gives the RB more options and is harder for the defense to defend. 

I feel like all of these analyses are forgetting tempo.  Our offense was deliberately running as few drives as possible by soaking up as much clock as possible.  that's fine, but that's a particular playstyle that will mean fewer drives, and thus we will need to maximize our opportunities. 

either way, we didn't get it done, 7 points isn't going to cut it, and while our average yards per drive may be fine, I think the fear that this is just Shula-as-we-know-him is justified.  I don't think we should kick him to the curb but I also think it makes sense we'd be concerned at this point.  We'll see how he adjusts.

Agreed, the pace of this game dicated NO/FEW MISTAKES. There were two turnovers by the Panthers. Then add on the 15yrd penalties.....tada low points. Especially in a low possession game. If you know your team is going to screw it up alot (Al's Raiders) you probably want to go full throttle. Much like college offenses with less talent. Go spread and ring up 18 drives w/500 yards of offense and still probably lose. But by gosh, your stat sheet looks gaudy.

I like HC Mike Smith because the Falcons commit very few penalties. Not sure of their TO rate, but he's not giving away free yardage to the other teams during his tenure with the Falcons.

And to pull the only quip from Dom Capers I remember: Hidden yardage, if your opponent has a 15yrd better avg starting position than you for a game that's 150 yards of less work on a 10 drive game they have to do to get TDs. 150 yards of hidden yardage. (SEA-CAR game had nearly same avg starting position IIRC)

the problem is nobody can reconcile being a good offense with only seven points put on the scoreboard. that's because few people stop to consider the difference between performance - as it pertains to ability - and efficiency. in terms of raw ability to move the ball it looks like we performed great, as highlighted by OP. we were, however, terribly inefficient by turning the ball over or choking just shy of scoring range.

therefore: if you believe that guys will always drop balls in critical moments or fumble in the red zone all but one time during every game, then yes, hysteria is justified. if you think these things will be fixed, then, well, you can assume this offense will pay dividends.

time will tell

Bump and answered.

Archived