• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Neighborhood of the future!

Big A

This is part of Fridays 20/20 about neighbors that talks about some new use of technology. It show a website called Nextdoor.com where people can verify there location and put up their security cameras network address so others in neighborhood can view them, and it also lets people talk to each other. It limits the access to cameras and info by dividing it into neighborhoods. It looks really neat and they said the site has been growing exponentially and has helped solve and prevent many crimes also.

They also show a network camera that works great with site, but is really neat little camera by itself, the DROPCAM. It is wifi and takes literally 60 seconds to set up. Then you can put it anywhere and it only requires a power wire. It also comes with a free app to view it live over phone or any Internet device. A really neat feature is that it's got a motion detector, so it can be set to email or send you a video clip to your phone if motion sensor is activated while you're away. The camera is small and has great 720p picture quality. The only negative is that you can't record locally, it only records to cloud and cost money $9.99 a month for a 7 day memory and 30 day memory for $29 a month with cheaper yearly dates. On the other hand, my front door camera is set up the same way to send me a video clip when front motion is activated and alarm is armed (since it would mean I'm not home) but the equipment and time and programming to do that was thousands of dollars, this camera does it all for $149 retail.

LINK TO 20/20 CLIP:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/neighborhood-future-20325700

LINK TO REVIEW OF DROPCAM(review by CNet):

http://reviews.cnet.com/webcams/dropcam-hd-wi-fi/4505-6502_7-35529762.html

Dropcam_puck.jpg

I would never live in a fuging neighborhood. I would never want to be that close to a bunch of losers and their annoying kids. I'll stay on my 70 acres of privacy and let you nerds bumb elbows with your neighbors

This is how socially awkward kids are made.

This is part of Fridays 20/20 about neighbors that talks about some new use of technology. It show a website called Nextdoor.com where people can verify there location and put up their security cameras network address so others in neighborhood can view them, and it also lets people talk to each other. It limits the access to cameras and info by dividing it into neighborhoods. It looks really neat and they said the site has been growing exponentially and has helped solve and prevent many crimes also.

They also show a network camera that works great with site, but is really neat little camera by itself, the DROPCAM. It is wifi and takes literally 60 seconds to set up. Then you can put it anywhere and it only requires a power wire. It also comes with a free app to view it live over phone or any Internet device. A really neat feature is that it's got a motion detector, so it can be set to email or send you a video clip to your phone if motion sensor is activated while you're away. The camera is small and has great 720p picture quality. The only negative is that you can't record locally, it only records to cloud and cost money $9.99 a month for a 7 day memory and 30 day memory for $29 a month with cheaper yearly dates. On the other hand, my front door camera is set up the same way to send me a video clip when front motion is activated and alarm is armed (since it would mean I'm not home) but the equipment and time and programming to do that was thousands of dollars, this camera does it all for $149 retail.

LINK TO 20/20 CLIP:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/neighborhood-future-20325700

LINK TO REVIEW OF DROPCAM(review by CNet):

http://reviews.cnet.com/webcams/dropcam-hd-wi-fi/4505-6502_7-35529762.html

Dropcam_puck.jpg

this would only sound cool to a neighborhood full of alice's who want to join each others fap parties..

Archived