• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

T - minus

CanadianCat

You are 100% correct. I believe he is referring to the 7/15 deadline of restructuring franchise tag signees. If we don't restructure Peppers by Wednesday (long term deal) we can not restructure for 09 and we are stuck with the big hit.

sorry, ya thats what im talking about. the FO needs to work this deal out, cause we're going to need the space to sign the rookies.

Used to have a window for that NCbobcat. I thought so too. Apparently they revised that out of the CBA when they did the emergency extension in 2006. Props to carpanfan96 for pointing out my erroneous assumption in another thread.

I think it's less complicated now, then before when it had all the extra by rules and crap in it. Like if you sign this player from this day to this day his tag stays with him, but from this day to this day it doesn't.........

Now it's fairly simple, you have a set date to give the Tag out by and a set date to get a long term contract done. While the player has a set date to sign his Tag tender by.

is there a time on the deadline? meaning is it the 15th at midnight, or some other time?

If I remember correctly it's July 15th period. I don't know if it's got a time deadline on it or not. most likely given the rest of the Formats the league uses for time lines then I'd say Midnight on the 15th.

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew teams used to be able to extend at any point...no matter the scenario, but I guess that's changed.

I'm thinking that the team plans on giving Peps his payday and negotiates a new deal after the season. The reason is, I feel that Peps may or may NOT be in the future plans beyond 2009 depending on what happens this year.

Issues ranging from Peps performance, Brown's development, Super Bowl win, to cap space. I think it's not a done deal that the team is 100% committed to Peps in 2010.

The deadline according to the CBA is 4PM on July 15th.

The key text comes from Article XX, Section 2(k) of the CBA: "Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club's last regular season game."

I'm thinking that the team plans on giving Peps his payday and negotiates a new deal after the season. The reason is, I feel that Peps may or may NOT be in the future plans beyond 2009 depending on what happens this year.

Issues ranging from Peps performance, Brown's development, Super Bowl win, to cap space. I think it's not a done deal that the team is 100% committed to Peps in 2010.

Interesting point of view and it makes for good conversation in an otherwise boring time of the year.

On the otherhand, I would argue that it is in the team's best interest to sign him to a long term deal

1. Leverage is currently leaning to the Panther's FO.

Because there was a lack of interest Peppers (and his agent) eventually came back to Carolina. They may be realizing that the grass is not any greener on the other side.

2. Peppers is an elite player

Why not lock him up if you can get him. Granted he seems like he takes plays off, and lacks enthusiasm from time to time but he is still a beast and the team is much better with him on the line. Letting him walk after 2009 leaves a hole that you need to fill and gambling on Brown, Johnson or (Insert whoever here) to live up to that is a big gamble.

3. 2009 Cap Space

If we could carve out a couple mil we might be able to sign some much needed experienced depth to the OL/DL

Archived