• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2014 Oscar noms

Dpantherman

Oh, this thread has already been made. Cool.

Fruitvale Station and Inside Llewyn Davis both got shafted on so many levels.

Regardless, I've only seen 8 movies from 2013 so far (still catching up day by day) and only 3 were Oscar noms I think. This is how I rank them and their actors.

1. Fruitvale Station
  2. Inside Llewin Davis
  3. Dallas Buyers Club
  4. This Is The End
  5. Captain Phillips
  6. The World’s End
  7. Warm Bodies
  8. Spring Breakers

Best Actor

1. Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
  2. Michael B Jordan (Fruitvale Station)
  3. Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewin Davis)
  4. Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)
  5. Simon Pegg (The World’s End)
  6. Nicholas Hoult (Warm Bodies)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
  2. Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
  3. James Franco (Spring Breakers)
  4. James Franco (This Is The End)
  5. Michael Cera (This Is The End)
  6. Steve Zahn (Dallas Buyers Club)
  7. Paddy Considine (The World’s End)
  8. Jonah Hill (This Is The End)

With all of that said, I still have yet to see 12 Years A Slave, and I plan on watching it tonight, but Chiwetel Ejiofor must've been ridiculously incredible if he is viewed as a favorite over Matthew McConaughey.

McConaughey and Leto both turned in some of the greatest, most convincing performances I have ever seen out of actors. Just incredble.

Shoutouts to Michael B Jordan and Oscar Isaac for putting in amazing work in their respective movies too though. It's crazy how strong the Best Actor category is this year, because any other year, either of those two performances would be contenders.

Leo better get his fuging oscar this year.

He couldn't have picked a worse year to try and win the Best Actor Oscar. He's been gypped in the past undoubtedly, I have no idea how he didn't win a couple of those years, but I don't see how he can win it this year. Still haven't seen the movie though.

Tom Hanks being snubbed as he did a great job in Captain Phillips. 

Ehh... It was a strong year for actors. I'd put a couple of other guys in before I dropped him in.

Barkhad Adbi will likely win Supporting Actor with Hanks not on the list for Best Actor. Adbi was great in Captain Phillips, he even ad-libbed some of the script and it was left in the movie.

Having been to Somalia and met some of the people from that country (who knows, some of them may have become pirates), the entire cast of pirates in that movie was exceptional.

I have seen seven of the nine movies, still need to see Philomena and Her.  I have to admit, I have not been impressed at all this year.  Some of them were good but none were great.  American Hustle was the best of the bunch.

Despite my disappointment in the films themselves, the Best Actor category is about as strong as you can ask for, all five did an exceptional job, not sure which one I would vote for out of Dern, McConaughey, and Bale.

I really hope both Leto and Lawrence win.

Barkhad Adbi will likely win Supporting Actor with Hanks not on the list for Best Actor. Adbi was great in Captain Phillips, he even ad-libbed some of the script and it was left in the movie.

Agreed that he and the other Somali actors did a fantastic job. With that said, I don't see how anyone can beat Jared Leto at this point.

SOS i agree Leo picked a really bad year. Matt M finally wins. He put in the work and was transformative.

Leto gets his.

Cate will not be denied for Blue Jasmine.

Jennifer Lawrence I thought did an insanely good job in Silver Linings. Have not seen Hustle yet but have heard good things. But she is young and already won so the Oscars will pull a BCS bowl move and pick someone else.

Best Pic will go to 12 years and best Dir to Gravity. Sort of like last year with Argo.

Personally I'm not a fan of 10 films for Best Pic. 5 is a solid upper echelon shelf that it should be. It means something when you get that Best Pic nom.

I thought Jennifer Lawrence did a good job, but it didn't scream Oscar to me. I actually thought Oprah would have gotten a nomination for the Butler. It was great, but she really did carry that film.

I'm going to watch Dallas Buyers soon, then probably The Wolf of Wall Street and 12 years a Slave.

Finally watched 12 Years. Solid movie, but I honestly expected better. Something was missing... I can't explain it. I think I'm gonna drop it in 3rd so far, behind Fruitvale Station and Inside Llewyn Davis, but ahead of Dallas Buyers Club.

As someone else has already said in this thread, I've found that a lot of the top films have been "mehh", but the acting this year has been spot on.

In my little rankings, I'll drop Chiwetel Ejiofor in 2nd, behind McConaughey and (not far) ahead of MBJ.

As for Michael Fassbender, I decided to drop him just a smidge ahead of Jared Leto, if for nothing else than for more screentime and the rage that he had me fully believing in.

Also, shoutout to Paul Dana who did an incredible job in his very short amount of screentime. I've got him 5th so far, just behind Barkhad Abdi and James Franco in Spring Breakers.

Archived