• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis restructures to create $3.25M in new cap space

PantherFeez

I'd rather get 2 good WRs, and 1 starting OT than 1 Hardy. Paying $30m for 2 DEs is retarded... Didn't we learned that with Williams and Stewart?

It's really not the same thing.. DE is a position of way higher value than RB is. In addition they can both be on the field and make an impact every single snap on defense unlike our running backs.

I'd rather get 2 good WRs, and 1 starting OT than 1 Hardy. Paying $30m for 2 DEs is retarded... Didn't we learned that with Williams and Stewart?

Huge difference.

2 DEs play at the same time.

RBs typically watch each other play...i guess Hurney thought the Double Trouble leaping back bump was worth $100mil to retain!

It's really not the same thing.. DE is a position of way higher value than RB is. In addition they can both be on the field and make an impact every single snap on defense unlike our running backs.

Well damn i shoulda just kept reading instead of posting what you said..like immediately right after you said it.

Arsen does have a point tho. With QBs earning an all time high, it's very hard to have tons of money towards the cap dedicated to one position, even if it's DE.

Making it worse, is we have 2 RBs clogging up a ton of space.

I want to keep Hardy as much as the next guy but signing him to a mega deal, will probably do more long term harm than good. And from what we've see G-Man is a long term kinda guy.

Huge difference.

2 DEs play at the same time.

RBs typically watch each other play...i guess Hurney thought the Double Trouble leaping back bump was worth $100mil to retain!

Do you think Cam and Hardy deserve similar pay? Ask urself... Does Hardy makes as big of impact on defense as Cam does on offense?

Also remember that Kueckly contract is up in 2 years. He will get record breaking contract...

Perhaps Gettleman is freeing up space so that he can tag Hardy with a non-exclusive tag in hopes that someone (maybe the Browns) with expendable picks will grab him from us? Before no one would because they knew it was a bluff because we couldn't possibly afford the tag designation. Maybe it's to create some leverage?

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of exclusive vs. non exclusive tags, but it's a theory at least.

What does this accomplish? It keeps him on our roster this year but next year? We can void his contract at any point after 2015 and I'm sure that will trigger some sort of savings. Clearly Gettleman knows more about this than I do but it doesn't add up to an untrained eye.

They will likely redo his contract. Davis will be 31 and he spent last 3 years rehabbing. If healthy he can play until he's 35.

Perhaps Gettleman is freeing up space so that he can tag Hardy with a non-exclusive tag in hopes that someone (maybe the Browns) with expendable picks will grab him from us? Before no one would because they knew it was a bluff because we couldn't possibly afford the tag designation. Maybe it's to create some leverage?

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of exclusive vs. non exclusive tags, but it's a theory at least.

I think we're tagging Hardy but no way we're signing him and giving him $50m guaranteed with Cam and Luke contracts around the corner...

What does this accomplish? It keeps him on our roster this year but next year? We can void his contract at any point after 2015 and I'm sure that will trigger some sort of savings. Clearly Gettleman knows more about this than I do but it doesn't add up to an untrained eye.

??

It gives us some extra cap space to re-sign guys like Ginn, Gano, Mitchell, Wharton and Gross etc.

His cap # for 2015 was already going to be high and this move didn't really make that # significantly higher.

Pretty good move IMO.

??

It gives us some extra cap space to re-sign guys like Ginn, Gano, Mitchell, Wharton and Gross etc.

His cap # for 2015 was already going to be high and this move didn't really make that # significantly higher.

Pretty good move IMO.

Yeah maybe that is what Gettleman is after, relief in 2014. I personally would not put a 1/4 tank of gas in my Car If I was going on a long trip. On the other hand if a 1/4 tank got me into a state with cheaper gas it might be the smart move. Maybe it is something like that.

Archived