• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smith Perspective: A Voth-man prophecy

SCP

Depends on whether or not you value tact, not everyone does.

I still think we should have extended Cam before we handled this situation with Steve Smith the way that we did. My concern is how this will affect not only signing our own players, but future FA that we may try to bring in. Other players are seeing this unfold, not just fans.

This is a guy under contract. Our only receiver under contract. If we treat him this way, what does that say?

Like I said, the way he does business is fine for 99% of the other players. You don't need tact to cut a 2nd string linebacker. But Steve Smith deserves better than the way his time in Carolina is ending, and Gettleman is solely to blame. Whether he values tact or not, you need to know when to tread lightly. Dangling the best player in franchise history as trade bait...especially one that has a history of punching people in the mouth...goes beyond lacking tact. It's just plain stupid.

I agree with needing more tact, but using him for a trade is a business decision, one that makes sense. I don't fault DG for trying to get some compensation for Smith, he still has to build a winning team.

I love Smith, but he forced DG's hand when he said he would NOT take a pay cut.

I still think we should have extended Cam before we handled this situation with Steve Smith the way that we did. My concern is how this will affect not only signing our own players, but future FA that we may try to bring in. Other players are seeing this unfold, not just fans.

This is a guy under contract. Our only receiver under contract. If we treat him this way, what does that say?

You don't think the other players know it's a cut throat business? Of course they do, that's why they hold out, try to get everything they can while they can. I doubt very seriously this deters any FA's.

You don't think the other players know it's a cut throat business? Of course they do, that's why they hold out, try to get everything they can while they can. I doubt very seriously this deters any FA's.

Generally players have more than one option that they can consider. If they can go to a contender, or come here, different things factor in. Most players want at least a somewhat long term commitment. Here we have a player under contract, and don't want to honor it.

I agree with needing more tact, but using him for a trade is a business decision, one that makes sense. I don't fault DG for trying to get some compensation for Smith, he still has to build a winning team.

I love Smith, but he forced DG's hand when he said he would NOT take a pay cut.

I don't disagree with cutting or trading Smith, it's just the way it all went down.  Smith had to hear his time in Carolina might be up through social media.  Gettleman vaguely mentions in the past tense that Smith has had a great career at his only press conference.  He could have been clear with his intentions "We're considering parting ways with Steve Smith but we haven't made a final decision yet.  I plan to speak with Steve about it directly" would have been excellent.  At the very least "I have not yet spoken to Steve and I have no comment on the situation" would have sufficed.  Gettleman treated Smith like he was just another joe on the team which he is definitely not.  Cutting/trading him is one thing but not even showing him the respect of telling him directly he might be cut is pretty low.

Generally players have more than one option that they can consider. If they can go to a contender, or come here, different things factor in. Most players want at least a somewhat long term commitment. Here we have a player under contract, and don't want to honor it.

I don't want to honor most of the contracts Hurney handed out, that included Delhomme as well.

I don't disagree with cutting or trading Smith, it's just the way it all went down. Smith had to hear his time in Carolina might be up through social media. Gettleman vaguely mentions in the past tense that Smith has had a great career at his only press conference. He could have been clear with his intentions "We're considering parting ways with Steve Smith but we haven't made a final decision yet. I plan to speak with Steve about it directly" would have been excellent. At the very least "I have not yet spoken to Steve and I have no comment on the situation" would have sufficed. Gettleman treated Smith like he was just another joe on the team which he is definitely not. Cutting/trading him is one thing but not even showing him the respect of telling him directly he might be cut is pretty low.

I agree with you, I think when the decision was finally made is a factor as well. He remained noncommittal, for the most part.

I don't want to honor most of the contracts Hurney handed out, that included Delhomme as well.

The best option for this thing with Steve Smith should have been to rework his deal. From what it sounds like, we are hellbent on moving on from him no matter what. I don't think this really compares to Delhomme, Steve Smith could still be very productive, even at 35.

How often do non-rookie deals go fulfilled?

Not very often. How is this different than Ware in Dallas, Peppers in Chicago or a player holding out until they get a new contract?

The best option for this thing with Steve Smith should have been to rework his deal. From what it sounds like, we are hellbent on moving on from him no matter what. I don't think this really compares to Delhomme, Steve Smith could still be very productive, even at 35.

Steve said he wasn't willing to redo his deal.

Really though, this whole thing could have been done with a little more class. That's what bothers most people.

In the interest of level headed, intelligent football conversation I'd like to ask you a question, as I respect everyone's opinions but would like to weed out those that are being emotional from the nut jobs. This is not necessarily to you specifically Red, but to AceBoogie and anyone else here that thinks Gettleman is some sort of New York bully throwing his weight around. So here goes.

If you were Gettleman, how EXACTLY would you have handled this "situation"?

When giving your answer please give it some logical thought and take into consideration the following factors:

1. Being asked on the spot about Steve Smith's 2014 status with the team, without notice, and without having been given a chance to notify Smith.

2. Having a sit down with Steve Smith, laying out the situation at hand, and explaining to him he must take a pay cut for the team to be successful in 2014 and beyond.

3. Steve Smith refusing to take a pay cut.

4. Having Steve Smith going on the radio adding fuel to an already combustible situation.

5. Being a GM, you need to do what you feel is best for the long term success of the team.

When you reply please give thoughtful answers and explain why you approached it the way you did. Feel free to elaborate, I will not give a childish TL;DR back at you. I will have a rebuttal on if I agree with your strategy and if I don't, I'll explain why. I'll tell you in what is only my opinion, what I think would happen both with the media and fanbase based off the decisions you've made and we'll go from there in a civil debate.

Because I'd genuinely like to know how people feel that want to burn Gettleman at the stake, and why specifically they feel that way.

Let's debate.

How often do non-rookie deals go fulfilled?

Not very often. How is this different than Ware in Dallas, Peppers in Chicago or a player holding out until they get a new contract?

Well, poo like this is exactly why players holdout, and I really can't much blame them for it.

But isn't that the case for every player in the NFL that gets cut or released? It happens on every team, every year. Contracts don't mean much in the NFL, guaranteed money does.

*Edit* - JOAT beat me to it.

Here's I would have handled it. Once I knew where we were financially I go to Steve and ask him to restructure for a more cap friendly deal. Before he answers I lay out all the options A. Restructure B. Trade C. Cut/Retire

The conversation has to take place though, on the phone or, my preference, face to face. You need to be diplomatic about it to a degree, sell him on the perks of staying at a reduced rate, but if he doesn't go for it at that point at least you made your case, upfront and honest.

Archived