• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has this week calmed your Gettle-fears?

mav1234

As far as the roster itself, I was a little worried when we didn't land Nicks, because I think he could have been a key part of our passing game for years to come, but I'm pretty happy with our FA acquisitions. I think most of us knew we'd be losing a lot of FA this year and have to pick up more from the bargain bin, and tbh I'm pretty happy with our signings so far.

all the chances of acquiring Nicks went out the window w/ the release of Smith. I think he literally changed his mind THAT night lol

Gettleman's cap magic is the same stuff that GMs around the league routinely do--they all have staff to help them with options.

The draft gave us three pretty good players, and he did a great job finding talent on the cheap, but then he let most of it get away.

I think he's doing a good job setting up the defense to be great for years to come.   And I kind of expect him to go heavy on the line in the draft, and stay with the BPA approach.  It won't surprise me a bit if we don't get a receiver on the first day, but if Cam has protection we'll move the ball even with scrubs outside.  And it will be a ton of fun to watch the Huddle explode if we don't, so there's that added benefit.

So far, the only thing that I really don't like about him is the way he treats players.  Aside from Star, he's rarely said anything to make you think he feels close at all to them.  That's a big change from how things were done before he got here, even before the bad contracts started.  And it's not one I'm particularly fond of.  Still, I would rather have someone who's great at finding quality depth than someone who's good at making our stars feel like family--that can be left to the coaches.

Dream scenario where no one can bash Gettleman. Sign Britt and Thomas. Pray Lewan falls with these charges and grab that WR frm Vandy in the second.

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

FB: Mike Tolbert

WR: Kenny Britt

WR: Jordan Matthews

Slot: Jerricho Cotchery

TE: Greg Olsen

LT: Taylor Lewan

LG: Amini Silatolu

C: Ryan Kalil

RG: Nate Chandler

RT: Byron Bell

DE: Charles Johnson

UT: Dwan Edwards/Kawann Short

NT: Star Lotulelei

DE: Greg Hardy

SLB: Chase Blackburn/AJ Klein

MLB: Luke Kuechly

WLB: Thomas Davis

CB: Antoine Cason

SS: Roman Harper

FS: Charles Godfrey

Nickel: Terrell Thomas

CB: Melvin White

I mean this team is better than last year. No doubt.

Yuck at the right side of that line. We need to upgrade RT and RG. 

I do not have any fears about Gettleman but I do have concerns about the 2014 Carolina Panthers.  We had some major holes at WR, DB and on the OL.  I feel at this point are WR/DB have not improved since last year and the line is clearly worse.  I realize that with the cap mess it is the draft and not FA where the major fixes will have to happen but he better hit all his picks.  If he can fix the OL then I think we can survive mediocrity elsewhere but the current crop there worries me.

The biggest reason I am concerned about '14 though is we still have Shula.

After a tumultuous beginning to free agency, things are looking up for our Panthers, with the signing of Cotchery and the reported deals with Underwood and Cason. This shores up two of the three positions most of us were most concerned with, with good veteran presence and upside, giving us a little room in the draft.

So given these signings, are you a little less worried? Is it time for "Gettlemagic" to return to non-sarcastic usage? ;)

Huh?

Archived