• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Morgan Moses & Jeff Otah

Paintballr

Just wondering and hopefully someone can enlighten me....

We drafted Jeff Otah with the 19th pick in 2008, a pick that we even traded up to draft, he was a "road grader" known for his run blocking and potential ability to grow into a very dependable tackle for years to come. Everyone knows how that ended up but I dont really remember people on this board saying he was a reach or analyst saying he was a reach for the pick.

In my eyes (havent watched any games with Morgan except when he has played the Hokies) they are both built as similiar players

Morgan Moses

6'6" 314lbs (listed but I dunno if that's accurate)

5.33 40-yard dash

35" arm length

Jeff Otah

6'6" 330lbs

5.55 40-yard dash

(Cant find his arm length anywhere)

Whats different this year with the 28th pick compared to trading up and picking even earlier for a player of similiar build. Would most people not be happy for a player that was like Jeff but lasted in the leauge and was still playing for us?

Anyways look forward to Thursday because its going to be exciting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I'd say the other tackle, Cyrus Kouandjio is more similar to Otah.  The knee issues, big size but questionable technique.  I wouldn't draft him - I could honestly see them going defense - cornerback.  

It all comes down to the character of the person. 

Why can't any 5'9 WR be like Steve Smith?

Why wasn't Cam like Jamarcus Russel?

Height, weight, and speed is a factor for sure but it all comes down to the drive to be the best, the work ethic to get there, and will to continue when you get knocked down. 

Well when Otah was drafted he was off my radar. I searched him and found an ESPN guy that thought he had bust written all over him. He had some injuries in college and didn't come back as fast as possible. I could not tell you whom that guy was because he wasn't one of the big names, the video was internet only. But that was the only guy that really had strong negative opinions of him. Strong enough to call it a bad pick hours after it was made.

One difference is Morgan Moses is getting some hype at being a Left Tackle, Otah was a right tackle only prospect as I remember it. Another difference is just their personalities. If you listen to them give interviews Moses just sounds brighter and better educated. Jimmy Johnson always liked smart guys because he felt like he could motivate them. Guys like Jeff Otah aren't motivated by anything really. And I could be wrong about them, but that is the impression I got from media interviews.

My understanding is Moses has had weight problems and he is currently in great shape. One of the knocks on him is flexibility and agility. He said he's been training hard to improve it. Moses started 43 games in 4 years. 3 of those years were in the ACC, freshman year he was JUCO. Never had a major injury, just a couple sprains. Some people feel like he's not nasty enough to make it in the NFL.

So to me the conditioning and weight concerns are similar to Otah. The injury history is not similar. Byron Bell struggles with weight too.

Personally I don't like guys over 320 LBs. We have been burned as a franchise over and over by guys getting their knee scoped and missing the entire season. Jordan Gross was a guy that struggled to keep his weight on and he played a long and healthy career. Ryan Kalil has been a pretty healthy guy playing near the minimum requirements for his position. It's so tempting when you hear how big these guys are but they have to be able to move and endure with that weight grinding on their knees.

Just wondering and hopefully someone can enlighten me....

We drafted Jeff Otah with the 19th pick in 2008, a pick that we even traded up to draft, he was a "road grader" known for his run blocking and potential ability to grow into a very dependable tackle for years to come. Everyone knows how that ended up but I dont really remember people on this board saying he was a reach or analyst saying he was a reach for the pick.

In my eyes (havent watched any games with Morgan except when he has played the Hokies) they are both built as similiar players

Morgan Moses

6'6" 314lbs (listed but I dunno if that's accurate)

5.33 40-yard dash

35" arm length

Jeff Otah

6'6" 330lbs

5.55 40-yard dash

(Cant find his arm length anywhere)

Whats different this year with the 28th pick compared to trading up and picking even earlier for a player of similiar build. Would most people not be happy for a player that was like Jeff but lasted in the leauge and was still playing for us?

Anyways look forward to Thursday because its going to be exciting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Otahs problem was never his playing. I remember reading a "re-draft" piece a year after he was drafted and they still had is taking him (and stu).

He got hurt and for whatever reason (fragile body, work etiquette, bad luck? ) never made it back full strength.

If with can find a tackle that can matches Otahs first year for ten years. That is good value at 28.

We gotta stop comparing tackles to Jeff Otah...

If he is Lazy and injured how can you NOT!!!!????

Cryus didn't show up to the combine ready to perform.  To me that is lazy,  He has knee issues (though currently cleared) and we have even drafted him.

Call it anyway you want.  I compare Cryus more of a Otah than a Gross.

If he is Lazy and injured how can you NOT!!!!????

Cryus didn't show up to the combine ready to perform. To me that is lazy, He has knee issues (though currently cleared) and we have even drafted him.

Call it anyway you want. I compare Cryus more of a Otah than a Gross.

So much wrong with this post

So much wrong with this post

Pretty accurate actually.   I wasn't the one who showed up at the combine not ready to perform.  He was very lackadaisical and performed poorly.      Though Cyrus has been cleared it doesn't mean he didn't or doesn't have knee issues.

Would you buy something off the shelf if a piece was cracked but still worked?.  NOT HARDLY.    Why would you invest millions of dollars on a OT that has already had issues with his knees and is freaking lazy.

Otah injuries were only half the problem.  He was lazy and could care less about playing.  He got his millions and moved on.   I compare to Cyrus to Otah and always will.

You don't.   

Pretty accurate actually. I wasn't the one who showed up at the combine not ready to perform. He was very lackadaisical and performed poorly. Though Cyrus has been cleared it doesn't mean he didn't or doesn't have knee issues.

Would you buy something off the shelf if a piece was cracked but still worked?. NOT HARDLY. Why would you invest millions of dollars on a OT that has already had issues with his knees and is freaking lazy.

Otah injuries were only half the problem. He was lazy and could care less about playing. He got his millions and moved on. I compare to Cyrus to Otah and always will.

You don't.

Even more wrong with this post. Lol wow

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived