• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's new weapons

Unless he has the final say that doesn't mean much.

He can put as many suggestions in the suggestion jar as he wants but unless Shula bites his ego then it won't matter because only one guy is calling in plays through the head-set on Sunday.

Shula literally has no ego. this isn't chud.

If you don't change your ways after what you're doing has failed then you have an ego.

I.E. Rivera... It just took him until his job was on the line to bite it.

shula called better games as the season progressed i.e. doesn't have an ego

i.e. listened the the players likes and dislikes at practice and put it in the gameplan.

i.e. allowed cam to create plays himself

yea sure sounds like an ego. ramsdell is going to help whether you believe that or not.

Several game winning drives. Got it done when it mattered. I'll take that over stats any day.

We'll see a better shula now that we have a good interior line to run the ball and we have WRs that suit what we wana do. You know, guys that aren't 5'9 and we have receivers who can catch the ball ( lafell Ginn had the dropsies)

Shula had but a small part in those game winning drives. Explain to me what our offense was like the other 3/4s of the game. I give shula the benefit of the doubt and I think he does deserve another chance but if our offense continues to be lackluster I do hope he gets replaced

shula called better games as the season progressed i.e. doesn't have an ego

i.e. listened the the players likes and dislikes at practice and put it in the gameplan.

i.e. allowed cam to create plays himself

yea sure sounds like an ego. ramsdell is going to help whether you believe that or not.

Please give examples... from what I saw our defense won us a ton of games with a very poor offense.

Shula continually called plays on 3rd and five that requires the receiver to run ten yards instead of six, Shula continually tried to run the ball up the middle when our success was coming outside the tackle's, Shula continually abandoned the running game in the 2nd half of games which led to many three and out series'.... need any more examples.

Just because you THINK the result will be different doesn't mean it will... i.e. Ego.

Oh and lol at letting Cam create plays for himself... There was only one game where most of the fan base reacted saying "he's finally letting him be himself" and that was in the second game against Tampa.

Please give examples... from what I saw our defense won us a ton of games with a very poor offense.

Shula continually called plays on 3rd and five that requires the receiver to run ten yards instead of six, Shula continually tried to run the ball up the middle when our success was coming outside the tackle's, Shula continually abandoned the running game in the 2nd have of games which led to many three and our series.... need any more examples.

Just because you THINK the result will be different doesn't mean it will... i.e. Ego.

break it down

what games are you talking about? give examples. against weaker defensive competition we dominated offensively. it was the better defenses that gave us trouble. wanna know why? because they are the best defenses in the league and we severly lacked talent.

i agree shula called long winded play calls particularly at the beginning of the season (particularly the cardinals atrocious play calling after the first drive/ the bills game)  he occasionally did it towards the end but overall called decent games (clock control with our talent deficient offense get the defense off the field as much as possible, work within the talent of the team).

why do we see differently on this? i honestly don't know.

by all accounts shula is a player friendly coach who listens to differing opinions. i dont know how you got ego from everything that has been said about shula. and when he allows Cam to design his own plays (this is not a joke) and in practice picks 5 to 6 plays the players like and execute well into the gameplan.

sounds  like he realizes 5 minds are greater than 1; which would mean ego-less.

your turn...

break it down

what games are you talking about? give examples. against weaker defensive competition we dominated offensively. it was the better defenses that gave us trouble. wanna know why? because they are the best defenses in the league and we severly lacked talent.

i agree shula called long winded play calls particularly at the beginning of the season (particularly the cardinals atrocious play calling after the first drive/ the bills game) he occasionally did it towards the end but overall called decent games (clock control with our talent deficient offense get the defense off the field as much as possible, work within the talent of the team).

why do we see differently on this? i honestly don't know.

by all accounts shula is a player friendly coach who listens to differing opinions. i dont know how you got ego from everything that has been said about shula. and when he allows Cam to design his own plays (this is not a joke) and in practice picks 5 to 6 plays the players like and execute well into the gameplan.

sounds like he realizes 5 minds are greater than 1; which would mean ego-less.

your turn...

You can have an ego without being prideful. I think that's where we differ. I think you're associating the word ego with pride as in what a player may have as where I'm associating it with unwillingness to change (what a coach may have) You can be well liked an unwilling to change and still have an ego (i.e. Rivera again).

In my opinion Shula might not be willing to change the way he calls plays because he's stuck in the status quo. I say this because he calls games almost identically to the way he called them in Tampa.

You have Cam Newton along with the second best defense in the league... you can afford to play up-tempo once in awhile and then change it back to a ball-control offense (i.e. the Saints).

Games such as the second Saints game (yes we won, but that was due to Cam being Cam, the play calling was horrible the entire game), the playoff game (we drove down the field with a mix of run and pass plays on the 49ers and then went completely to a pass first offense and got blown out), you mentioned the AZ game (Shula made no adjustment to AZ bringing the blitz damn near every play), the game against Miami (another poorly called game that we we lose, unless Newton doesn't get hit out of bounds and we pick up the extra yardage). We can't afford to have these types of games next year because our schedule is full of teams that either have great offenses or great defenses. The days of playing the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Rams etc. are done. We're going to have to either score enough points to keep up with these high octane offenses or somehow manage to put up enough points to beat these great defenses.

Agree with all points in op except ol. The interior may be slightly improved at best. But we lost a lot with Gross retirement. WR is vastly improved. Top to bottom. Benjamin will be a 1000 yard double digit TD guy. Fit meets need. I expect 600 and 8, but the usage/targets will say 1100 and 12. I feel the guy capitalizes. Benjamin will draw a top corner, but that corner will be physically over matched.

You can have an ego without being prideful. I think that's where we differ. I think you're associating the word ego with pride as in what a player may have as where I'm associating it with unwillingness to change (what a coach may have) You can be well liked an unwilling to change and still have an ego (i.e. Rivera again).

In my opinion Shula might not be willing to change the way he calls plays because he's stuck in the status quo. I say this because he calls games almost identically to the way he called them in Tampa.

You have Cam Newton along with the second best defense in the league... you can afford to play up-tempo once in awhile and then change it back to a ball-control offense (i.e. the Saints).

Games such as the second Saints game (yes we won, but that was due to Cam being Cam, the play calling was horrible the entire game), the playoff game (we drove down the field with a mix of run and pass plays on the 49ers and then went completely to a pass first offense and got blown out), you mentioned the AZ game (Shula made no adjustment to AZ bringing the blitz damn near every play), the game against Miami (another poorly called game that we we lose, unless Newton doesn't get hit out of bounds and we pick up the extra yardage). We can't afford to have these types of games next year because our schedule is full of teams that either have great offenses or great defenses. The days of playing the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Rams etc. are done. We're going to have to either score enough points to keep up with these high octane offenses or somehow manage to put up enough points to beat these great defenses.

In your third paragraph (sorry cant bold on phone) you made a good point about playing up tempo offense. Our offense was the most fluid when we ran it and cam seems more comfortable in that type of offense. He also excelled in college in an up tempo offense, coincidence? I think shula lacks the killer instinct most other offenses in the nfl have

I agree kinda...

I think we would be foolish to think that our o-line is as good as it was last year. It will be much worse. You cant let your franchise probowl left tackle retire and not replace him.

Other than that, spot on.

Most of the carolina steve smith fans (as oppossed to actual fans of the team) are still living in the Jake Delhomme/John Fox era of 'feed the stud' where you through a jump ball to Smith every other play.

Cam changed the game in Carolina. We have a franchise QB that actually spreads the ball around instead of throwing hail marys at Smith all day.

Cam is elite when it comes to spreading the ball around in the passing game... so he needs more than one WR. Smith making 20 bajillion dollars a year was an impediment to bringing the other peices of the puzzle that Cam needs to get us a lombardi.

Um... We didn't save money by cutting Steve Smith

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived