• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for any golfers...GPS units?

dos poptarts

My dad dropped a big hint (gee, could it be Father's day soon and that I'm about 2 months late on his BD present) that he saw some watch and handheld GPS units and thought they were pretty cool.

He has an iPhone so I guess there should be apps that as well, but I think a separate unit would be better.

Anyone have any experience...any preferred brands (Garmin, Izzo, Callaway, GolfBuddy).

And it has to work with any courses in the Charlotte - Pineville - Mint Hill areas.

thanks.

I have always used and app on my iphone but I always seems to run out of battery life so a seperate unit would be nice for that reason. I would say you should probably get a feel of whether he would prefer a watch or a handheld and go from there. There are plenty of review sites out there but what I would do is search for golf GPS units on Amazon and just read the reviews and ratings. That should give you a good idea of features, ease of use, value, etc.   Then pick out 3 or 4 of them and do some more idividual research. There are a bunch to chose from so hopefully you will get a couple of people on here who have one and highly recommend it.  

The watches are relatively new to the golf range finder arena and they all run between $150-200 Garmin, Bushnell, IZZO, etc).

Most of the hand-held models (Bushnell, Callaway, Laser Link, etc.) are pretty steep starting at around $250 and going up...

I don't use them, opting for the markers on the course; don't play but once or twice a week. If I were playing more often on a variety of courses I wasn't familiar with, I'd make the investment.

If I were you, I'd ask which he'd prefer, the hand-held or the watch. It makes a huge difference as I know a lot of players who take their watches off when they play because they find them uncomfortable.

And the best place to read up on all of them- TGW.com. They're listed under the "Accessories" tab.

I have the Callaway upro. It's one of the older models but It is very easy to use. It has all of the courses but you have to go online and sync them to the device. It has a built in scorecard as well with the ability to track fways, greens, and putts. I'm sure the newer models are much more fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

More devices to slow down play...Ugh. Now the ones built into the golf carts? Those are sweet.

I'm with you on the slow play. 3 of us played yesterday and on the back 9 we were behind a 2 some and I swear the one guy would take a variety of 10-12 practice swings then step away and do it all over again before hitting the ball. He did this on every shot.

I rarely lose my cool on the course (except at myself) but I couldn't take it anymore. I left the tee box and drove up to the guy in the fairway and asked what the H*ll he was doing and he said he was taking his time because there are 8 people in front of them that were holding up play and it wasn't them.

I decided to call BS and without saying anything I just drove up to the next tee box to find the other group walking off the green of the next hole which was a par 5. There was no one between that group and the two of them back in the fairway of the other hole.

I drove back by the guys and went back to the tee box to tell the guys I was playing with that I was done for the day (We were on 15).  My friends were like "oh sh*i...ths isn't going to be good".

I drove up to the green and waited for these 2 jackoffs to get done and I told them I was going to ride with them to the next tee box so they could show me these big groups of people holding up play. Of course they refused because honestly I was acting like a deranged a$$hole so why would they?

Instead I cussed them out and called them out on their BS in a tirade that was much like that of Mike Gundy's "I'm a man, I'm 40" speech (In fact I may have even said that)  and then  I took my ball and went home.  

Yes I acted like a little bitch, but I don't drink on the golf course anymore and that can make any man irritable on a 90 degree day. Besides, my friends said their pace of play greatly improved after that.

Thanks for listening,

J Rock

I have the Callaway upro. It's one of the older models but It is very easy to use. It has all of the courses but you have to go online and sync them to the device. It has a built in scorecard as well with the ability to track fways, greens, and putts. I'm sure the newer models are much more fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Interesting, but I think I'm going to have to go on youtube to see some in action. Ease of use...etc...

And some require subscriptions....ugh. Not going that route.

and it has be to simple to use....very simple and hopefully durable.

I use Sky droid. its free and pretty accurate

"Dad, I know you wanted a handheld or watch golf gps but the guys on the Huddle convinced me to just download a free app to your phone instead. Thanks for all you have done for me over the years!!! "

Love,

Your cheap ass son

"Dad, I know you wanted a handheld or watch golf gps but the guys on the Huddle convinced me to just download a free app to your phone instead. Thanks for all you have done for me over the years!!! "

Love,

Your cheap ass son

Hey dad...glad I could repay everything you've done for me in a materialistic way.

Archived