• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

USA vs GER

Win and in

Tie and In

Lose and:

1) Root for Portugal but if Portugal does win:

1b) Hope Portugal doesn't make up the current goal differential (up by 6) and

1c) I think we own that tiebreaker so they need to up us by 7

2) Hope that Ghana doesn't make up the goal differential and

2b) I think we own that tiebreaker as well

just got baked so not putting this in excel

Win and in

Tie and In

Lose and:

It is 5 and 6, not 6 and 7, but still, any points by Portugal on Thursday likely means Germany and USA move on.

As for a Ghana win and Germany loss we would need for them both to be by one goal, If either is by two goals then Ghana moves on.  If both are by one then it goes to Goals Scored which USA currently leads 4-3.  So if Ghana wins by one, USA loses by one but USA scores as many or more than Ghana they move on.

I think, not sure though, that if Ghana were to win by one and USA loses by one and Ghana scores one more goal then the USA still moves on because Goals Scored would be even and then it goes to h2h.  Could be wrong though.

Win and in

Tie and In

Lose and:

- If Portugal makes up the goal difference They would probably have the tiebreaker on goals scored since they would realistically need to beat Ghana 4-0.

- We would probably own the tiebreaker with Ghana as long as we scored at least one goal against Germany (assuming Ghana beats Portugal 1-0 or 2-1).

I think the Ego of Klinnsman and Low would make this game competitive. Although German's have efficiency engrained into them from birth. There is nothing efficient about risking a loss when a draw is more than enough.

I read some German articles and their veteran RB turned CDM Lahm said he expects the Americans to come out passionate. He sees Germany going through if they play to their abilities. Then it get's interesting. I'm paraphrasing as it was in German, 'We are keen to go through, and a draw would be enough'.

The worst part of drawing for me is Jermaine Jones. We have to play him. He's one of our most important players. He is going to be very passionate as he was shunned by the German Football Association. If he picks up even a yellow, we lose him in the round of 16.

I would not defend the Germans for 90 minutes. They will score. You saw Geoff Cameron was a ticking time bomb. I'd concentrate on getting players that can keep possession.

Zusi is maddening. 2 assists, several terrific passes. Then he gives away some of the sloppiest turnovers. He doesn't play well with his body, kicks at balls when he should be trapping with his chest. Just not ready for prime time. But this is America. We have to rely on people like this.

It would be no surprise to me if this game goes deep into the second half at 0-0. Even if we lose to Germany, we should be okay as long as we keep it within 1 goal. In that case though, it would be better for Portugal to defeat Ghana. Not unrealistic, but Ghana is probably playing better that Portugal at this point in the tourney. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ghana pulls off a 2-1 victory. That could put us in a difficult position.

We will need to have our best game so far on just 3 days rest after the sweltering swamp that is Manaus if we are to defeat the Germans. A tall task.

I like what Landon Donovan said about both teams playing for the tie. It's not cheating. It's calculated. It would be the ideal outcome for both teams, really. Germany May not want to commit 100% to get the outright win. We could make it very difficult on them and have shown the ability to score when tied or down 1. Playing to win this game could come around to bite them.

I expect us to be conservative and put 8 or 9 behind the ball. We will look to counter.

I would not be surprised if both teams play for the draw. What is the point in risking the loss? Consider that the US will likely face Belgium and will still be in recovery from Manaus.

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

Archived