• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cards, Clearances, Challenges and Chances. The General Soccer Information Thread

C47

You can receive a penalty kick if a defender deliberately touches the ball inside his own penalty box. If the ball touches the defenders hand then it becomes a judgement call. Did the defender make himself bigger by extending his arms away from his body? It's a judgement like all penalties. Sometimes refs will allow you to be more physical inside the box, it's a dicey situation.

Yellow cards are given for making a "professional foul" that breaks up an attack. It's a judgement call like all fouls. You can also get a yellow card for a reckless tackle that is likely to injure an opponent. You can also get a yellow for persistent infringement which is committing an excessive number of fouls.

You can get a straight Red for denying a sure goal scoring chance. Say a guy is one on one with the goalie and the defender brings him down from behind. You can get straight Red for a hand ball that denies a clear goal scoring chance. You can get a straight Red for an extremely dangerous tackle, most commonly for scissor kick tackles and studs up tackles. You can get a Red for violent behavior such as head butts, punches, biting (i can't believe I have to type this) and kicks.

Things like disrespectful language, removing your shirt, simulating injuries, flopping, time wasting, and other forms of bad sportsmanship result in yellows. Sometimes if the language is racist in nature you will see a Red.

So a combination of any 2 yellow card offenses in the same game will result in a yellow/red ejection and suspension from the next match. Ejected players cannot be replaced. Sometimes refs will be more lenient with the 2nd yellow because playing 10v11 ruins the game. Managers can receive cards too.

There is also "accumulation of cards". If you get 2 yellow cards in the World Cup you are suspended for the next game. It doesn't matter if the cards are in different games. If your team makes it to the semifinals, accumulation resets. It is impossible to miss the final due to accumulation of yellows. You can still miss via yellow/red or straight red suspension.

I think the two yellows is ridiculous especially as quick as some of these refs are with yellows. At the very least it should reset after the group stage. If jones gets a yellow against Belgium and we advance, we're in trouble. Not like it would matter against Argentina

I think the two yellows is ridiculous especially as quick as some of these refs are with yellows. At the very least it should reset after the group stage. If jones gets a yellow against Belgium and we advance, we're in trouble. Not like it would matter against Argentina

I heard them say in one of the games that the accumulated yellows will reset after the quarters.  Does that include yellow received in the quarters?

I agree that it is silly that Group Stage carries into Ro16.  It should only count in consecutive games in my opinion.

I would recommend that we pin this topic so that it does not get pushed down with new threads.  It will do those new to soccer no good if they cannot find the thread

Agree, but that would require cooperation by the mods. 

There is also "accumulation of cards". If you get 2 yellow cards in the World Cup you are suspended for the next game. It doesn't matter if the cards are in different games. If your team makes it to the semifinals, accumulation resets. It is impossible to miss the final due to accumulation of yellows. You can still miss via yellow/red or straight red suspension.

Also...as for the offside explanation earlier...you measure from when the ball is struck...so if you are onside and your team mate kicks the ball, you can get as far behind the D as your speed will allow.

Archived