• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hayward agrees to sign

It's not our place to call and ask about the sign and trade. We just want Hayward.

We put the ball in their court with this offer.

They very well could've been bluffing and may not want to match this, so their best interest would be to ask us for something in return for him.

Which is great for us because it gives us the amazing opportunity of clearing cap before he actually signs.

Cho is playing hardball and I love it.

There isn't gonna be a S&T. Charlotte would've initiated it & they showed no interest in swapping assets with Utah, as they never even contacted them.

Once Hayward signs the offer sheet at 12:01AM Thursday, Utah cannot do a S&T with Charlotte or anyone else. Their only option will be to either match the offer or let him walk.

No, Henderson is the only thing you would offer. We don't know what Cho would offer because we don't know who else Cho believes he could get if he secures Hayward.

All it takes is signing one big name and having the money to sign another one, and you'll get more interest from the other ones. What would you give up to accommodate a Stephenson or a Gasol if you're able to actually get Hayward, clear some space, and they all of a sudden show some interest?

That's how Cho is thinking. You're thinking like a fan, which means you're failing.

Cho isn't moving any of the numerous young assets he hand picked to assemble this roster so he can sign an overrated nutjob or an aging, pricey big man.

Well, we can't really make an offer to a guy like Lance Stephensen until we find out if Jazz are matching.

Basically any of the bigger free agents we may want to go after, we will have to wait and see what the Jazz do first

Other then Lance (who I don't know if I want truly) who else do we really want that we will miss out on?

There isn't gonna be a S&T. Charlotte would've initiated it & they showed no interest in swapping assets with Utah, as they never even contacted them.

Once Hayward signs the offer sheet at 12:01AM Thursday, Utah cannot do a S&T with Charlotte or anyone else. Their only option will be to either match the offer or let him walk.

That's why we gave them one day to talk sign and trade. There's an entire day to get something done. I really don't think you understand. He won't sign at 12:01.

You sound butthurt that we made this deal and like you are wishing they'd match.

That's why we gave them one day to talk sign and trade. There's an entire day to get something done. I really don't think you understand. He won't sign at 12:01.

You sound butthurt that we made this deal and like you are wishing they'd match.

Yeah, Charlotte offered now because they want Utah to call & ask them to give away assets.

It isn't so Hayward doesn't go somewhere else & get an offer or anything.

Yeah, Charlotte offered now because they want Utah to call & ask them to give away assets.

It isn't so Hayward doesn't go somewhere else & get an offer or anything.

We could open up more cap with a sign and trade. It's so simple if you think about it. Players that YOU think are assets, may not be assets to our FO.

Cho isn't moving any of the numerous young assets he hand picked to assemble this roster so he can sign an overrated nutjob or an aging, pricey big man.

Yet you don't think paying Hayward $63M is overrating him? Interesting.

Max deal = superstar. Hayward is no superstar.

"Of course" Hayward deserves as much as he can get, right? Anyone here who was freaking out last season over Jefferson's $13.5M per that isn't upset over Hayward's number is a hypocrite, or worse.

Not all max contracts are equal. This one pays Gordon Hayward $15 million a year. The one LeBron, Melo, and the like will get will be upwards of $20 + million a year. Still an overpay, but this is another common misconception and why I hate the term "max deal."

I think it has something to do with years of service but I'm not sure. Look it up. I'm sure Zach Lowe has an article out there that explains it.

Yet you don't think paying Hayward $63M is overrating him? Interesting.

"Of course" Hayward deserves as much as he can get, right? Anyone here who was freaking out last season over Jefferson's $13.5M per that isn't upset over Hayward's number is a hypocrite, or worse.

You're wrong on a few topics here. People hear the term "max deal" and lose their minds. If we had signed him for $14.8 million then a lot of people would have been like well that's probably close to market value because the Jazz wanted to give him $12 and he didn't take it. The fact that it's a bit more than that at $15.8 million makes people lose it. Not all free agency periods are the same. Sometimes players run into situations where it's good that they came into free agency when they did and sometimes players run into bad situations and get less. Jefferson ran into a bad situation last offseason and still pulled out a pretty good deal for himself here. In this situation, Hayward holds all the cards. Probably the best free agent available that isn't in the Big 3 and he's getting paid like it. It was a good move by his agent to get him on the market. Bottom line.

Secondly, I was mad at the Jefferson deal when I first saw it because it represented the end of our rebuild and I think we ended our rebuild before we started it. We needed a high pick in this last draft and we didn't get high enough. But now that the past is the past and the Hornets are trying to build a team for the right now, we need to start spending some cash to make that happen. That's why I think this move was the right move. It would have been the same way had we done the two moves in reverse. If we signed Hayward to $13.5 last season I would have said that was stupid, but not today. We're trying to compete in a weak conference and with all the things up in the air right now it's a good time to scoop up the best of the second tier talent.

You have to pay to play in this league and even though Hayward might not look like a max player on paper, in this free agent period he's a max player because the options are limited and the money is there for a lot of teams to spend. It's either make competitive offers or do nothing at this point. I prefer we sign guys that can help this team even if it takes a few extra million a year. This is a critical point for this franchise. This upcoming season could make or break Charlotte's legitimacy as a market if we can't get people excited about this team. The time is now. We can't take a back seat and hope next year the free agent crop is better because there's no guarantees that's going to be the case.

You're wrong on a few topics here. People hear the term "max deal" and lose their minds. If we had signed him for $14.8 million then a lot of people would have been like well that's probably close to market value because the Jazz wanted to give him $12 and he didn't take it. The fact that it's a bit more than that at $15.8 million makes people lose it. Not all free agency periods are the same. Sometimes players run into situations where it's good that they came into free agency when they did and sometimes players run into bad situations and get less. Jefferson ran into a bad situation last offseason and still pulled out a pretty good deal for himself here. In this situation, Hayward holds all the cards. Probably the best free agent available that isn't in the Big 3 and he's getting paid like it. It was a good move by his agent to get him on the market. Bottom line.

Secondly, I was mad at the Jefferson deal when I first saw it because it represented the end of our rebuild and I think we ended our rebuild before we started it. We needed a high pick in this last draft and we didn't get high enough. But now that the past is the past and the Hornets are trying to build a team for the right now, we need to start spending some cash to make that happen. That's why I think this move was the right move. It would have been the same way had we done the two moves in reverse. If we signed Hayward to $13.5 last season I would have said that was stupid, but not today. We're trying to compete in a weak conference and with all the things up in the air right now it's a good time to scoop up the best of the second tier talent.

You have to pay to play in this league and even though Hayward might not look like a max player on paper, in this free agent period he's a max player because the options are limited and the money is there for a lot of teams to spend. It's either make competitive offers or do nothing at this point. I prefer we sign guys that can help this team even if it takes a few extra million a year. This is a critical point for this franchise. This upcoming season could make or break Charlotte's legitimacy as a market if we can't get people excited about this team. The time is now. We can't take a back seat and hope next year the free agent crop is better because there's no guarantees that's going to be the case.

Regarding the Al Jefferson signing and the rebuild, that team as constructed the previous season won 20 games under Mike Dunlap. The addition of Zeller and Clifford alone would have probably increased it to 30 wins or maybe a few more. Basically, we would have been too good to tank even if we wanted to and still would have probably ended up in the spot we did at nine thanks to the Detroit pick. Adding to the good fortune was that we got a guy mocked in the top 5 with that pick.

We were able to draft like a rebuilding team AND go to the playoffs. That's a great all-around season.

Archived