• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cock Problem

Johnny Rockets

First of all....shame on you for opening a thread with this title. 

Anyway about a year ago I decided to trade in my bachelor lifestyle in the city of Charlotte and move out into the country. For those that know me personally, I know that may be hard to believe but it's true. Anyway, I live on about 2 acres of land with a few neighbors dotted about. Well a couple months ago a lone, small chicken showed up in our yard. It was actually pretty cool at first but fast forward a couple of months and now there are about a dozen that wander into our yard everyday/all day. All full grown chickens and one rooster. Now I know that they have done wonders with bugs, fire ants, etc but they also can do some damage. Our yard is meticulously landscaped especially around our in ground pool. It's kind of like a back yard oasis surrounded by mulch, palm trees, rose bushes, etc which was expensive to do and maintain.

The chickens have tore up all of the mulch around the pool and dug down into all of the rose bushes exposing the roots and the roses are beginning to show the signs of the damage. We have also found chickens in our pool. Our dog has killed a couple of them in the past which we felt bad about at first.

Without getting into all the details, the neighbors who own them are totally unresponsive to our requests to do something about this. Animal control says there is nothing that can be done because they are poultry. Now I don't like to kill animals and my GF can't stand the thought of it but I am at my wits end with this and am about to start taking care of them myself. When we contacted animal control, they said most people just talk to their neighbors and get the problem corrected or decide to make chicken stew.

Anyone have any good ideas about what else I can do and do you know if I am in my legal right to shoot them if it comes down to it? 

I could have written this post. We spent tons of money landscaping around our pool and building a relaxing back yard and our neighbors behind us got turkeys, roosters, chickens, goats and several dogs that made constant noise and brought racoons, rats etc. Because where we are disricted all us neighbors got together, had a hearing and animal control came and took all the animals away but the dogs.  Of course they still set off explosions in their back yard, shoot guns and mess with big loud car engines occasionally but it's better than it was. 

Good luck.

I could have written this post. We spent tons of money landscaping around our pool and building a relaxing back yard and our neighbors behind us got turkeys, roosters, chickens, goats and several dogs that made constant noise and brought racoons, rats etc. Because where we are disricted all us neighbors got together, had a hearing and animal control came and took all the animals away but the dogs.  Of course they still set off explosions in their back yard, shoot guns and mess with big loud car engines occasionally but it's better than it was. 

Good luck.

Yep very similar situation but it got resolved this weekend. 

*Update*

So just some quick background, this family is very strange. There are 12 kids living in this one house from ages 2-16 years. It's a blended family with the mom and dad having kids from previous marriages and also kids together. I have spoken to a few of the kids on several occasions and they are in the same clothes everyday, apparently don't bathe (I can't even describe the stench that comes off them), and are supposedly home schooled but am sure that is not the case because they all seem very slow. I do know that none of them go to school. The parent's themselves are very reclusive for whatever reason and will speak to no one.

So Saturday I ran out to the Harris Teeter and when I go back my GF had called the sheriff's department because she got fed up when she saw 6 chickens and a rooster all in our pool area tearing sh*t up again. The sheriff basically said the only thing we could do is take them to court for damages which we had no interest in doing. The deputy said he would go over to their house and explain the legal ramifications if their chickens damage property but that was all he could do.

Well about 15 minutes later we hear some arguing and the parents take off like a bat out of hell down their driveway and shortly after, about 5 of the kids were in our yard with feed getting the chickens to one area. Then they proceeded to break their necks and kill them all. We felt terrible especially since it was kids about 7-10 years old and even a young girl about 3 years old doing this. We figured the sheriff went over there and talked to them. About 2 hours later the sheriff stopped by and said he didn't make it over there because he got caught up with something at the jail. We told him what happened right after the initial call and he said that the call went out over the system and they probably heard that there was a animal complaint for their house over a scanner that they must have on a all times.I don't know what goes on in that house but one time a sheriff stopped by our house asking if we were missing any jewelry or tools because they found stolen property in one of the kids rooms and he said they had a half dozen turkeys living INSIDE the house. Strange family for sure.  

Anyway, Sunday there were no more chickens so problem is solved.

TLDR:

Called sheriff, Neighbors hear complaint over scanner, parents took off to avoid sheriff, kids killed all the chickens by breaking their necks.  

A huge red flag with that family. Huge red flag. I would consider finding good hiding places in your house for your valuables, keeping doors and windows locked, keep all yard tools under lock and key, making sure you have an alarm system monitored, etc. etc.

From experience neighbors like that are trouble.

A huge red flag with that family. Huge red flag. I would consider finding good hiding places in your house for your valuables, keeping doors and windows locked, keep all yard tools under lock and key, making sure you have an alarm system monitored, etc. etc.

From experience neighbors like that are trouble.

I know what you are saying Murph. It's weird because like I said, they are ALWAYS in the same clothes. The little girls are always running around wearing a fancy dresses, one looks like a wedding gown. Of course because they are in them every day, all day they are torn and dirty and to see a group of about 10 kids walking around the woods behind us with a bonfire behind them while wearing that stuff them really reminds me of something from Children of the Corn. 

Apparently my GF hasn't had any real issues with them in the 2-3 years they have been there so hopefully this is just a one and done deal but we will see. It's not the kids that concern me because I actually like them and feel sorry for them, it's the parents who I have never seen. They actually rent the house that they live in but the owner lives in NJ so I am sure he has no idea what is going on. Like the deputy told us after seeing that property, the owner would be pissed off to know how his $250k property is being treated. We are separated by a good bit of land and some woods and can't even really see their house so at least there is a barrier of some sort. 

Archived