• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam threw for 280+ yards and........

Udogg

Comment from Football Outsiders

What kind of effect has Kelvin Benjamin had on the Panthers' offense? Brandon LaFell led the team in 2013 with six receptions on deep passes. In two pro games, Benjamin already has five receptions on deep balls, including two against Detroit this week. Newton through seven deep balls against the Lions, completing four of them for 87 yards.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2014/week-2-quick-reads

I don't think Carolina is becoming pass-first so much as balanced and well-rounded. The preference is absolutely to run and control the clock, but now the team is built to win through the air with a similar small-ball, clock-eating philosophy should teams be able to stop the run. This is a great yin to the yang of a stifling defense.

The offense will eventually re-build explosive capabilities, but for now Cam is doing a fantastic job of playing within the offense with the talent that the team has. Carolina is a very dangerous team.

It's all relative in my opinion.  The opposing team knows Cam will get his rushing yards and they must prepare for it.  He's no Michael Vick by any means, Cam is more well rounded and wants to throw the football first therefore limiting hard hits.  

Cam is special, once in a lifetime QB and he's doing it without being put on a throne and he wouldn't have it any other way. 

I think the offense (smartly) took what the defense gave them, especially as the game progressed.

However, I do agree with you--unlike most Panther fans--that Cam will throw the ball more often (or accumulate the yards) this year. The running game sucks. And hopefully the OC will finally realize that. Plus, if defenses give you the pass, you gotta take it, to loosen up the run game anyway, especially when the run game can't be established on it's own.

Ultimately, if/when they pay Cam Bookoo dollars, and get those expensive RB's off the books; yes the team will throw more. They would have to.

For some unknown reason; many Panther fans believe, just cause you throw the ball, doing that can't complement a good defense and/or be a ball control offense. Of course it can, in so many ways.

This year, they're better receivers present who can help Cam by actually catching the ball as well.

Last year was last year, anyway. Most people assume, what the Panther did last year, they'll do this year (particularly on offense). Not necessarily. New receivers, a potentially healthy Stew, how defenses play you, which teams your playing, and game situations (such as against Detroit) will determine that.

Though the national media killed the Panthers receicing core. One can argue, that the Panthers strength, is Cam, Olsen, KB, Avant, JCo and the pass game, over Stewart, DLo, and Tolbert, till proven otherwise.

We'll see how this year develops?

Our RBs don't suck. They fought for those 1 yard gains last game because the type of run plays called and the level of the run blocking was atrocious.

we won the game. .........

This makes only the 3rd time (the other 2 were in 2012 Philly and Atlanta) that Cam has thrown for 280 yards and we have won the game.  Not coincidentally no picks were thrown in either game.   

Is our inability to run the ball effectively because we are in the transition to becoming a pass first team?  Is this what our identity going to be after Dwill and Stew are off the books?   I don't forsee another big name RB being here going forward.  It seems to be the strategy is the boost the O-line and D-line.  Pay the QB and the skill guys on defense and have maybe 1 high paid WR.   

What do you guys think?

Defense and no turnovers. 

We are not transitioning to a pass first team. We tried to run the ball in the 1st quarter and got stonewalled every time. 

We started passing a lot because we had to. Our run blocking is atrocious. 

I am just glad Shula realized the run wasnt working (even though it took him 1 or 2 quarters) and started to open things up. 

Cam is very dangerous from the pocket. He can sling bullets with accuracy and he'll go through his reads and hit the open man, even with pressure in his face. It seems every time a team loads the box and dares Cam to throw, he torches them. And that goes all the way back to his debut vs Arizona.

Media can clamor all they want about Luck being pro ready and the future of football. Watch the games, Cam is a better pocket passer. And he's the most dangerous running QB in league history.

As Tolbert said, he's destined for greatness.

Is it just me, or did it look like Cam has changed his throwing motion a tad? He looked a lot more fluid throwing and was the most accurate I have seen him. Also, that ankle injury might have been a blessing in disguise. He was reading that defense and finding the open zones.

One thing though, Cam has not quite been the same in being able to escape a collapsing pocket or pressure. Atleast not a good as he was his first 2 years.

He's recovering from major ankle surgery and broken ribs. He isn't really Superman, he's still human. He'll be as explosive as ever after he has a few weeks to recover.

IMO, what I believe is taking place this year, is that "it all clicks" moment with Cam! Let's think about this with a little perspective, Cam played/started 1 year of major college football, compared with with guys like Luck, Rodgers, Manning who all had multiple years starting in a big time program. Now they say the tell-tell year for an NFL QB is year 3, we saw Cam make tremendous strides last year in becoming an NFL QB, but with about half the total big time football experience as the other guys had to this point in their own individual careers and with the majority of his "baptism by fire" coming in the NFL the best league in the world! Most players get a chance to learn/grow in college, Cam basically got thrown to the wolves, and came out leading the fuggers!

Is our inability to run the ball effectively because we are in the transition to becoming a pass first team?  Is this what our identity going to be after Dwill and Stew are off the books?   I don't forsee another big name RB being here going forward.  It seems to be the strategy is the boost the O-line and D-line.  Pay the QB and the skill guys on defense and have maybe 1 high paid WR.   

What do you guys think?

in the case of the Detroit game, they were 100% wanting to take away the run game.  that is why we ran so many playaction passes and passed so much.  it will be a week-to-week affair, but it is at least nice to know we can exploit a defense that concentrates on the run by passing the ball.

Archived