• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Independence Thread

FuFuLamePoo

I was going to suggest they should do relegation, but then I saw they have MLS "B" teams. I guess it could still work. But having Galaxy vs Galaxy II would be a bit odd.

The tie-in with MLS teams is pretty interesting though. Thanks for posting.

That Independence/Battery rivalry is about to be huge!! ;)

Well that blows that the stadium won't be ready in time. I feel like this happens way to often in semi-professional sports. I'm unsure if Bojangles Colisuem will be ready for the Checkers by October.

Any way, here is an article on the state of the Independence.

Link: http://www.uslsoccer.com/common/mobile/mobile.html?jobid=72011&nogames=#a854551

The Independence have also signed their first to players (former Eagles).

Link: http://www.uslsoccer.com/common/mobile/mobile.html?jobid=72011&nogames=#a855488

I'll be ticked if the flop that is the NASCAR HOF delays the city in approving the renovations since they just got burned, although I'm pretty sure that's already a go.

Charlotte has a recent history of expansion franchises in tiny leagues either falling through before they even take the field or lasting one or two seasons before relocating or folding. The USL and this team seems like a much more reputable venture than any of those recent failures, but these delays hinder what could be a big get for the city in the long run.

As old as Memorial is, size and location wise (20K capacity, in the middle of Charlotte) it's the perfect venue for this team, provided of course it's given some modernizing. TransAmerica would make a fine temp home for a year, but with lack of beer sales and the campus being on the outskirts of Uptown, it could be a Greensboro/Hurricanes situation. The Hounds use Memorial, so why would it be an issue for the I's?

I'll be ticked if the flop that is the NASCAR HOF delays the city in approving the renovations since they just got burned, although I'm pretty sure that's already a go.

Charlotte has a recent history of expansion franchises in tiny leagues either falling through before they even take the field or lasting one or two seasons before relocating or folding. The USL and this team seems like a much more reputable venture than any of those recent failures, but these delays hinder what could be a big get for the city in the long run.

As old as Memorial is, size and location wise (20K capacity, in the middle of Charlotte) it's the perfect venue for this team, provided of course it's given some modernizing. TransAmerica would make a fine temp home for a year, but with lack of beer sales and the campus being on the outskirts of Uptown, it could be a Greensboro/Hurricanes situation. The Hounds use Memorial, so why would it be an issue for the I's?

the way it is now memorial stadium isn't wide enough for a soccer pitch, i think

So first game is at Uncc? Where else would they play?

That is pretty much the only viable option that I can think of.

Means no alcohol though.

Also assuming it means they're playing on UNC CHarlotte's soccer field. The football field is artificial turf and I don't believe it i the kind of turf that is FIFA approved or soccer.

Archived