• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Benji! Good to meet you, dog"

Jeremy Igo

I'm a big picture kind of guy.  I don't have time to get into the X's and O's of play calling although I enjoy reading comments from those that do.  That being said, my logic circuit board made a decision that getting rid of Smitty and losing money doing so meant that his skills on the field weren't as big of an issue in the decision.  Then, following that logic, I had figured that there must be something "off-field" that was pushing this particular decision.

Once again, logic determines things in my mind.  We lost money getting rid of Smitty.  You don't do that without a big reason.  I don't know what goes on in the locker room, but I do know Smitty has a history of acerbic behavior to his team mates.  Occams Razor told me that the decision had more to do with locker room behavior and personal differences.

And this was *before* I read the articles about his belittling his fellow WR's.  After reading them, I was OK with letting him go.  NO player is going to come before the Panthers TEAM.  

The logical conclusion is that he was cancerous to the locker room.  Gettleman is not afraid of making the hard decisions.  I WANT general managers like that.  I DON'T WANT another GM like Hurney.  Gettleman looked at the situation without any rose-colored glasses and realized that Smitty was detrimental to the TEAM.  And he made the hard call.  Kudos to him.  He must have some awfully big balls underneath those awfully drawn up shorts...

It still doesn't make sense that we got rid of him. We are now seeing that it was either Cam or Shula that hindered his production. He looks younger than ever and is putting up consistent beasty numbers.

It's not Cam that was holding him back.  Smitty was close to career numbers the first year Cam got here.  Hm.  What else changed since then...I wonder....

Archived