• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 3 players Hurney traded up for

JJman

I highly doubt JR has ever said look into this guy or that guy when talking about the college draft. And Cam wasn't mocked number 1 until a week and a half before the draft. When the media finally got hey that we had done all the extensive back ground work on him and knew he would be the pick. If it was like you said why wasn't contracts already negotiated like most number 1 overall picks were before the draft. At least talks would have begun but they weren't. Again it's crazy for you to have fabricated in your mind that Cam was a clear cut pick or JR had any prior action into him before Hurney.

Hurney made a lot of mistakes which he deserves credit for. But he also gets props for the Cam and Luke pick which neither were easy.

Again you would have to wonder why did they spend so much time looking into Cam if every pundit and scout was saying this guy sucks so bad, it hurts?  No way would they waste so much company time looking into one guy, if it were not approved by the boss.  Also, if other QBs like Gabbert and Locker were rated so much higher then Cam, why did Locker go 8 and Gabbert go 10?  I guess other teams didn't buy into all the loaded crap that is the media it seems.  Cam was the pick if you were going QB at number one.  Also like someone mentioned as well, you had the rookie wage scale.  So here's another reason why I don't give Hurney much credit if any for drafting Cam.  Every other team would have made the same decision had they been in our shoes that year.  On this site, there were a lot of people against Cam, but majority here (It wasn't overwhelming majority) were actually for Cam because of his ceiling concerning talent and just about everyone was for drafting Cam if it came down to picking a QB at 1.

I do give him credit for Kuechly.

Some of the decisions to trade away future picks bother me more then some of the actual picks.

Here is an interesting article that looks at the 2010-2012 drafts over a 3 year period. Hurney actually looks decent in this study.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/3/18/4098882/2010-2012-nfl-drafts-team-by-team-draft-success-in-first-three-rounds

I think some will be surprised that the average number of "primary starters" that a team gets from a draft class is 2.4.

What makes it even more surprising is that their definition of a primary starter is a player that starts at least 8 games over a 3 year period. Under this criteria LaFell and Luke are both considered successful picks and counted the same for the study.

I would love to see the same study but where they divide the starters between elite and primary. In reality a below average starter can usually be replaced fairly cheaply in free agency. An elite starter such as Luke on a rookie contract is huge for a franchise.

Another interesting note of this study is that once you reach the third round you have a better chance of missing on a pick then being successful.

Archived