• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets vs. Wizards Preseason Game Thread

Liminy

MKG is the perfect fit for this team.  It'll show this year when Big Al, Lance and Kemba have all the attention of the opposing defense.  

We don't need him to fill it up, but just hit some shots, keep the D honest.  He's a great finisher at the rim, as he displayed against the Heat.  He's a great hustle player, and he's only getting better. 

To give up on a guy thats 21, with the motor he has, and the teammate he is, is downright stupid.  He was a project coming into the league, and everyone saw.  It's year 3 for him. Rule of thumb is to give a guy at least 3 years to figure it out.  And over the course of the first two years, he's shown flashes as to why he was the number 2 pick.  

Last year in the playoffs, when MKG wasn't on the court, the defense suffered tremendously.  I noticed every time MKG was on the bench, the Heat would go on a big run and change momentum completely.

I don't agree with the Scottie Pippen comparison, but at the same time, give MKG some time.  Really. Two years, minus a handful of games because of his broken wrist, should not define a player.  Imagine if the first two years of Rivera defined his reputation.  

No I'm 29 years old and played AAU, HS, and college basketball. 

No, Hayward with an "a" is a small forward that has ball handling ability.  He cuts to the basket, takes short corner 3's, and is adept at low post entry passes from the short perimeter. 

Once again...Hayward in certain rotations would have played the 2 spot, namely while MKG was in the game.  Seeing as how the only position MKG will ever play on offense is a 3. 

Hayward would have started at SF.

Well, spoiler alert: Gordon Hayward isn't on the team.

Omega Atrocity was excited about the interest in this part of the forum after the Sixers game and hoped we developed more Panthers-esque threads so good job to everyone who has participated in this one so far.

Now all we need is to devolve into personal insults, though neckbeard is walking that line already with the teenager comment so good job, neckbeard.

MKG is the perfect fit for this team.  It'll show this year when Big Al, Lance and Kemba have all the attention of the opposing defense.  

We don't need him to fill it up, but just hit some shots, keep the D honest.  He's a great finisher at the rim, as he displayed against the Heat.  He's a great hustle player, and he's only getting better. 

To give up on a guy thats 21, with the motor he has, and the teammate he is, is downright stupid.  He was a project coming into the league, and everyone saw.  It's year 3 for him. Rule of thumb is to give a guy at least 3 years to figure it out.  And over the course of the first two years, he's shown flashes as to why he was the number 2 pick.  

Last year in the playoffs, when MKG wasn't on the court, the defense suffered tremendously.  I noticed every time MKG was on the bench, the Heat would go on a big run and change momentum completely.

I don't agree with the Scottie Pippen comparison, but at the same time, give MKG some time.  Really. Two years, minus a handful of games because of his broken wrist, should not define a player.  Imagine if the first two years of Rivera defined his reputation.  

I don't think we should give up on him unless a great trade came our way. Not by a long shot, but like you said he's 21 and he still has a lot of growing to do.  It might further his development if he's a heavy rotation player.  He just has to shoot better. Ultimately basketball is about getting the ball into the hoop.  Once (if)he fixes that jumper....start him.

I don't think we should give up on him unless a great trade came our way. Not by a long shot, but like you said he's 21 and he still has a lot of growing to do.  It might further his development if he's a heavy rotation player.  He just has to shoot better. Ultimately basketball is about getting the ball into the hoop.  Once (if)he fixes that jumper....start him.

I think if he wasn't showing signs of improvement, and wasn't actively trying to improve his game the way he has been doing, it'd be worth it to trade him.  

Think about how deep we are on the wing

MKG, Lance, Hendo, PJ, Gary Neal

I think in some cases, Clifford could put out Kemba, Lance, PJ, to make up for that lack of shooting threat.  Not to start, but just a part of the rotation.  

I really do think the ability to score from the wing with PJ and Lance, will definitely create more floor space for MKG to drive to the bucket.  

I think if he wasn't showing signs of improvement, and wasn't actively trying to improve his game the way he has been doing, it'd be worth it to trade him.  

You hit the nail on the head. He IS improving, even if the jumper doesn't look as good as it should be.

In comparison to last season, it's light years better.

Think about how deep we are on the wing

MKG, Lance, Hendo, PJ, Gary Neal

I think in some cases, Clifford could put out Kemba, Lance, PJ, to make up for that lack of shooting threat.  Not to start, but just a part of the rotation.  

I really do think the ability to score from the wing with PJ and Lance, will definitely create more floor space for MKG to drive to the bucket.  

I agree.  We're very deep at the wing position.  Another reason why Hayward was offered to play the 3.  Our shooting has gotten better as a team.  Clifford does have a lot of rotation options.  We have a chance to be really good offensively especially when we spread the floor.  The Hornets are exciting this year because of it.  I just think some of that slows down when MKG is in the game.  It's like a soccer team who has 11 guys when they don't have the ball, but a constant red card when they do.

I agree. We're very deep at the wing position. Another reason why Hayward was offered to play the 3. Our shooting has gotten better as a team. Clifford does have a lot of rotation options. We have a chance to be really good offensively especially when we spread the floor. The Hornets are exciting this year because of it. I just think some of that slows down when MKG is in the game. It's like a soccer team who has 11 guys when they don't have the ball, but a constant red card when they do.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. MKG is still a threat when he gets the ball. Its not like he's a non-factor

This thread turned into a wet blanket real quick

---------------------------------

As for the game

Our starters looked good. we were getting beat early because our 2nd unit. at one point i think I saw a lineup of Pargo Roberts Neal Zeller Biz. And the earth fell off it's axis.

But in the 2nd half we really went down low to Al and everything started working everywhere else. pj hit a couple 3s. Kemba had room to work. Zeller even gobbled up a few offensive boards and put backs. Also our D stepped up and we really forced the issue.

One thing I have noticed, and this isn't ground breaking news, but Zeller plays so much better with Al than with Biz. Zeller has no confidence on offense, and to match him with someone who is inept on offense isn't good. teams can just key in on our guards.

I remember in the Detroit game, Lance working and getting Zeller a wide open 18 footer and yelling at Cody to take it. But he hesitated, looked for a pass and then put the ball on the floor, drove to the basket and forced a tough shot. I hope Clifford can help him out.

Lol. Hell no.

I believed that comparison pre-draft.

Now, you gotta be kidding me.

Still a fair comparison, He's got another 2-3 years of development before he reaches the Age of Pippen in year 2/3 of his career. MKG's defense, rebounding and transition game are all Elite or near elite levels. 

Archived