• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Al Wallace said Cam Newton will never be a franchise qb

Ruff

What's funny is how most everyone on this board blames 99% of Cam's poor play on everything but Cam. While the number should be more like 65%, it needs to be known that this organization will never and currently can't give Cam what he needs to allow him to play at a superstar level. In other words, there will always be excuses for Cam because we'll never have a perfect team to surround him with.

Cam isn't elite.

Cam is very good.

I can't stress enough that fans are SO in need of having a stud QB to root for that they overlook what I just typed. As soon as you can realize that he's not a superstar on the field, the sooner you'll realize that paying him a top salary is a HUGE gamble. Since this team can't cover his faults, his faults will continue to shine. Now, if they want to pay the man a fair amount to stay here ... great. He'll win some games for us, he'll lose some games for us. The rest of the team will do the same. But at least we won't have to regret him doing so with such a massive contract.

I know you guys love Cam. I know you think he has the highest ceiling of any QB in the history of the NFL. I know you think if it wasn't for Andrew Luck, he'd be the best young QB out there. But the fact is the supporting cast around him will continue to be sub par, you'll continue to always blame that supporting cast and never blame Cam, and you'll continue to wallow in the SUCK that is this team.

DG needs to be smart. Overpaying someone who isn't elite isn't smart.

I'm fine with Cam staying here. But I wouldn't break the bank for Jay Cutler, Kaep, Dalton, RGIII, or Foles either. Cam has not earned the money.  

so your not willing to give big contracts to quarterbacks who aren't elite? if that is the case then you would have a revolving door of quarterbacks in this league. by your logic only Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Andrew Luck would get paid big contracts. that is not how the nfl works.

those 5 quarterbacks have combined for a total of 6 super bowls and 3 in the last decade. put those numbers up against non-elite quarterbacks like ben roethlisberger, eli manning, joe flacco, and russell wilson. those quarterbacks have also combined for 6 super bowls. eli manning is a perfect example. when he had the right team around him he was able to go out and win 2 super bowls. the team he has now doesn't have the talent it did and he has been mediocre over the last couple of years. to say that the team will never be able to put a quality team around him is absurd. if david gettleman can't put a team around cam that only players like brady, peyton, rodgers, brees, and luck could win with then he should be fired. i don't know how you can sit here and definitively say 5 years from now the team around him will be subpar. you stated he isn't elite but he is very good. the fact of the matter is that very good quarterbacks in this league can win super bowls. 

so recap

Elite Quarterbacks= 6 Super Bowls

Very Good Quarterbacks=6 Super Bowls

Cam still can't hit opens receivers, use proper footwork and step up into the pocket. Damn you Shula!

This video of Cam doing all that with ok blocking and avg.. weapons says

you don't know what the fug your talking about..

Go try and be a Curling Analyst because you sure aren't a QB Guru....

Well 99% people have seen Cam perform well for 3 years with avg. talent around him..

We would like to see what he could do with above avg. talent around him..

99% of people can see this isn't even below avg. talent we have around him now...

And all the QB you named at least were giving a shot to prove who they are with talent around them...

Can you say the same for Cam..

What he is saying if you pay him what he wants you won't have much to work with in the wallet to pay other top notch talent. Thus a bad cycle of what ifs and it being someone else's fault.

Like having nice rims on a Pacer.

Your opinion holds the exact same weight as anybody's opinon on here.

And I didn't know I had to join the Huddle 6 years ago to be considered a real fan. You people crack me up. You're just reaching for stuff now.

No you can't act you're the real fan and only join the teams most used MB in the off-season of the 20th year of existence...

And like most people we want to know what was coming out of your mouth last year when this team was winning .....but OH no...... You weren't here last year...(LIke most trolls weren't)))

What he is saying if you pay him what he wants you won't have much to work with in the wallet to pay other top notch talent. Thus a bad cycle of what ifs and it being someone else's fault.

Like having nice rims on a Pacer.

The team put itself in that situation by not putting talent around him earlier (like EVERY OTHER TEAM THAT DRAFTS A QB)..

But lets be realistic

Cams Numbers and 2 pro-bowl nods not to mention his marketability and national attention he brings to the team...

Already Says he deserve the money...

Put Cams numbers against any QB in there 1st 4 season in history he's top 5 in every thing..

Cam has already proven he belongs.

If the point is he will never be as good as Manning or Brady than that might be true.

But he has proven he is a QB that we can win with and when healthy is a dynamic playmaker.

He is not yet, and may never get to the point that he is the guy you can throw out there with just about anyone and expect him to carry the team every single week.

But he also isn't a dime a dozen QB. He has immense talent. With the right coordinator and supporting cast he can be a great player.

He is still developing. But he is a guy we can win with, and win big right now IMO.

It is important to bring in a new offensive staff, as it has become clear they have brought him along as far as they can take him. Time for a new set of eyes.

Who do you have in mind?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24754866/after-further-review-cam-newton-is-making-the-evolution-to-an-elite-qb

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11964854

Two people who know a lot more football then you speaking about how Cam has made improvements out of college. John Clayton goes as far as saying Cam is a franchise quarterback. You also have zero evidence of Cam having leadership issues. That is just completely made up and assumed because the team is struggling. I have not heard 1 negative comment about Cam from his teammates. 

You mention all his flaws and make it seem like he's an awful quarterback. It is funny that the guy with this many flaws and this awful of a player had the best rookie year ever and led his team to 2 seed last year. Again there is also no proof you followed this team until this offseason so you may have missed that. He has also put up touchdown numbers that only Dan Marino and Peyton Manning put up in there first couple seasons. Pretty amazing for a guy who is absolutely not a franchise quarterback, overthrows way too much, holds on to the ball too long, has leadership issues, can't read defenses, has no touch, 0 pocket awareness, awful footwork, and awful mechanics. 

Do you actually think if I was a bandwagon fan that I would still be here during this season? I wish I could tell myself that I was a bandwagon fan so I can stop wasting my damn money on this team.

Also, there are a lot of football analysts that know a lot more football than you that say Cam is regressing. And all of those stats are all fun and good, but the fact is, Cam is 28-31-1 since entering the league and still has major issues regarding his QB traits. If you can't admit that, then there is no reason arguing with you. I hope Cam does turn into this "elite" HOF QB you all keep talking about so we can win some godamn superbowls for once. But I highly doubt it, ESPECIALLY if we overpay for an average QB.

No QB in the history of the league has been successful

1. With a Horrible OLine

2. No consistent running game

3. a Lack of pass catching option 

4. A Play caller who has never ran a top 15 offense

5. Breakdown and non-consistent play by other parts of the team (Defense Special team))

This is all Cam is playing with this season...

Do you actually think if I was a bandwagon fan that I would still be here during this season? I wish I could tell myself that I was a bandwagon fan so I can stop wasting my damn money on this team.

Also, there are a lot of football analysts that know a lot more football than you that say Cam is regressing. And all of those stats are all fun and good, but the fact is, Cam is 28-31-1 since entering the league and still has major issues regarding his QB traits. If you can't admit that, then there is no reason arguing with you. I hope Cam does turn into this "elite" HOF QB you all keep talking about so we can win some godamn superbowls for once. But I highly doubt it, ESPECIALLY if we overpay for an average QB.

If you were a troll you would be.........JMO

It's funny, Luck and Wilson overthrow their receivers all the time but Cam is apparently special. He isn't allowed to. :lol:

Every QB misses throw, overthrows and underthrows ..........

Cam is the only one not allowed to do so...

He also has to make Un-drafted Olinemen into the Wall of Dallas or The Hogs..

Good god, some of you have real short memories or are closet Cam-Haters. Cam bailed our defense several times last year AND was praised for his pocket play earlier this season.

GTFO.

Cam had the most incredible rookie season in NFL history.

Cam was effecient last year and led numerous game-winning drives. He even out-dueled Mrs Brady on MNF.

Cam looked like an elite pocket passer the first few weeks this season and looked like a man playing against boys against Cincy as he carried his entire shitty team on his back. ESPN even declared Cam the early season MVP front runner and slurped him, declaring Cam the future. Then the injuries piled up on the OL, Cam took massive beatings, Rivera went full retard & the season flushed away.

The result? Closet Cam haters are finally able to come back out & bash him again. Don't mind them, they've been waiting for a very long time & have a bunch of pent up frustration to unleash.

Since 2011...

Panthers win- DEFENSE CARRIED US!!!!

Panthers lose- LOL CAM SUCKS ASS!!!!

He's already a Franchise Quarterback. How can you not be something you already are, Al?

Jake was his Franchise Quarterback and he wasn't exactly known for his great decision making. But it helps if you're throwing to a prime Smitty and dependable Moose backed by and a good run game.

How many times did Jake just throw up anything in Steve's direction and Smitty came down with it? Great decision making tho!

Archived