• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Head Coaching Candidates - My Shortlist

Ruff

Carolina reached out to Harbaugh but he wouldn't even talk to them. Why do so many people keep saying this garbage? Yeah, JR said he didn't know who JH was; he was being sarcastic. JH pissed him off.

This fan base is so dumb.

Richardson never said he reached out to Harbaugh. He did state that there was no contact between either parties.

I really like the idea of Kyle Shanahan, but I really have no clue who he'd bring in for his staff.

Raheem Morris would 100% be the defensive coordinator. He and Kyle are really old friends and have worked together for years. It was Kyle that pulled Raheem to Washington.

The name I imagine at OC would be Tim Brewster, former head coach of Minnesota in college. Was San Diego's TE coach before, has connections with Kyle, and wanted Kyle when he went to Minnesota.

None of these guys will be our coach. While I was perma-banned I often read all these silly threads about possible coaches and couldn't believe what I was reading and where some of you get your ideas. The main mistake everybody is making is thinking that the decision comes down to who Dave Gettleman wants. That is false. If you think Jerry doesn't have the main say, you are badly mistaken. Jerry WILL NOT hire a college coach and Jerry WILL NOT hire an offensive minded coach.

I think the pregnant dude is correct

#1 - Kyle Shanahan

Current Job: OC of the Cleveland Browns

Likely Choice at Offensive Coordinator: 

Tim Brewster

Likely Choice at Defensive Coordinator:

Raheem Morris

Chances of it Happening: High. Mr. Scot has already pointed out the link between Mike Shanahan/Kyle/and Gettleman based on previous experience with the Denver Broncos.

Read More: The Mastermind that is Kyle Shanahan

My personal feeling is, it doesn't really matter what Dave was doing in 1994 regarding our head coaching job.  Maybe as an area scout he'd have developed a relationship with someone from the Broncos' assistant coaches, but I don't think so.  That he would have a relationship with a 14 year old Kyle Shanahan might be something you'd have vetted with a PI before hiring Dave in the first place. 

Raheem Morris as a DC is not a good idea. Brewster, I don't see that much connection.  The youth of KS doesn't really wow me much, and his ability to put together a hardcore staff is something I'd really be concerned with. 

#2 - Gary Kubiak

Current Job: OC of the Baltimore Ravens

Why? Gary Kubiak is well-known in the NFL for his offenses, and his running game. A former head coach in the league, Kubiak knows what he's doing, after helping the Texans get some of the best records they've ever had, and draft players like JJ Watt. Kubiak is well-respected in the NFL, and is quickly expected to jump back to being a head coach (where he belongs) after a short-stint as Baltimore's offensive coordinator. Kubiak has revitalized Steve Smith's career in Baltimore, and is making back-up running backs like Forsett look like Pro Bowlers.

What He Would Bring: Experience and a know-how. There would be no learning curve for Kubiak. It would be a situation where he would come in right away and get to work.

Likely Choice at Offensive Coordinator:

Rick Dennison

Likely Choice at Defensive Coordinator:

Wade Phillips 

Chances of it Happening: Very High. Kubiak shares the same connection to Gettleman that Kyle Shanahan does, and would be the type of "win now" guy Gettleman could look for, where as he wouldn't have to worry about the growing pains with Kyle Shanahan.

Read More: Hiring of Gary Kubiak already paying dividends for Ravens offense

I like Kubiak.  This has a greater chance of being a Gettleman connection but again I doubt it.  They were very unlikely to even be in a war room together, at most they shared some scouting assignments in the offseasons. 

Wade might come out of retirement.  Dennison, I don't know the Ravens would let him out. 

#3 - Kevin Sumlin

Current Job: Head Coach of Texas A&M

Love him.  He won't come out. 

#4 - Jim Harbaugh

Current Job: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers

the nuclear option, it would probably work here.  Can't afford the picks or bucks, though.  Definitely a hit it and quit it guy, I like how you likened him to Larry Brown.  If you can get staffers like Roman, maybe.  BTW, Eric Mangini coaches defense, and I don't see the link to him.    Carolina showed legit interest in Harbaugh? (edit - read rest of thread, disregard that bit)

#5 - Hue Jackson

Current Job: OC for the Cincinnati Bengals

Why? Tough, strong-willed, but a guy who will go out of his way to develop young players, Hue Jackson is a lot of things, including a great coach. He has his quirks, but, a guy who has shown that his head coaching style works (he had as many wins in one season as Dennis Allen did in 2.5). He would be different than anything we're used to, especially coming off a decade of John Fox and Ron Rivera, but it would be a breath of fresh air.

I like Hue (and would love both that it's Coryell, and that Al Saunders would OC).  But, Hue's an asshole.  I don't know if it would play well around here.   Not against him as a minority interview.  

But (and not unlike Mr. Scot's "Gettleman's head coaches" thing), I appreciate the hard work on this.  Me disagreeing shouldn't get in the way of that, I just don't think that Buffalo or Denver stops really factor in hard to this thing.  That the Giants ones might push, say, Fewell in as a DC or position coach, sure, possible.   I don't know if I love that, but I could see it. 

Now, just to show that I have the ability to get my sh!t torn down too, here's what I believe: 

*I"d love to talk to Sumlin, or Malzahn, or David Shaw, but I know what the answer is. 

*Top guy on my list was Hugh Freeze till he got paid again.  Would he take it next year?  Sure.  Can he this year?  Not at all.  He's the top spread guy who, up to this week, was paid just low enough and not entrenched that a pro job would be enticing, and his version of the spread option is unique and innovative, but not weird like Leach or Holgorsen.   You can bring some staffers along and pair him with a vet DC like Dennis Allen, who he has no connection to whatsoever. 

*I'd talk to Todd Bowles. 

Before everyone pisses their pants because Bowles has the nerve to be a DC, he has assistant head coach cred, took the heat by cleaning up the Juan Castillo mess, and turned a good Cards D into a great one. 

*I respect Darrell Bevell but I'm not that interested.  Adam Gase makes little sense as a head coach. Jay Gruden might make someone an OK OC, but ehh. 

*Kubiak kinda fits.  He's nothing without a great DC, but a good defense is here.  If Kubiak is saddled with, say, Fewell, ehh.  I don't know.  But, he'd fix the line and the running game, and when the money backs are gone he'd find some 5th rounder who will wow you.  

*I like Tom Clements.  He's a bit older, and that's an issue.  He has Ben McAdoo who he could draw back from the Giants' debacle, which isn't sexy, but McAdoo took an opportunity and didn't see it as the red flag it clearly was.  No real clue on who Clements would pull as DC, but if I use the connections/history stuff you guys have, Jerry Grey.  Hell I don't know.  Ron Zook?  it's a negative that I can't resolve that, but he's who I like most right now. 

My personal feeling is, it doesn't really matter what Dave was doing in 1994 regarding our head coaching job.  Maybe as an area scout he'd have developed a relationship with someone from the Broncos' assistant coaches, but I don't think so.  That he would have a relationship with a 14 year old Kyle Shanahan might be something you'd have vetted with a PI before hiring Dave in the first place. 

Raheem Morris as a DC is not a good idea. Brewster, I don't see that much connection.  The youth of KS doesn't really wow me much, and his ability to put together a hardcore staff is something I'd really be concerned with.

No idea if Gettleman ever met Kyle, but I'd expect Kyle to get a look primarily for two reasons.  One, because he's got a good record as an OC and two, because he respects his father.

I like Kubiak.  This has a greater chance of being a Gettleman connection but again I doubt it.  They were very unlikely to even be in a war room together, at most they shared some scouting assignments in the offseasons. 

Wade might come out of retirement.  Dennison, I don't know the Ravens would let him out. 

Agree they might not want to lose Dennison if they're already losing Kubiak,  There are definitely a few decent OCs likely available or Kubiak could call his own plays (not sure he's ever done that as a head coach though).  Mike Nolan could be a DC option too.  I suppose it's even conceivable he could keep McDermott.

I like Hue (and would love both that it's Coryell, and that Al Saunders would OC).  But, Hue's an asshole.  I don't know if it would play well around here.   Not against him as a minority interview.

I like Ken Zampese as an OC option too.  Same deal as with Dennison, the Bengals might not part with him but it's worth a shot.  Definitely one of the best pedigrees available.

*I like Tom Clements.  He's a bit older, and that's an issue.  He has Ben McAdoo who he could draw back from the Giants' debacle, which isn't sexy, but McAdoo took an opportunity and didn't see it as the red flag it clearly was.  No real clue on who Clements would pull as DC, but if I use the connections/history stuff you guys have, Jerry Grey.  Hell I don't know.  Ron Zook?  it's a negative that I can't resolve that, but he's who I like most right now. 

Like Clements as well.  Bowles too.  I was looking at Jerry Gray also but in relation to someone else.  What about Winston Moss as a DC for Clements?

Thoughts on Pep Hamilton?

(1) Jim Harbaugh

(2) Bill Cowher

(3) David Shaw

(4) Kevin Sumlin

(5) Todd Bowles

(6) Hue Jackson

(7) Greg Roman

(8) Vic Fangio

(9) Dan Quinn

(10) Frank Reich

(11) Jim Tomsula

(12) Dave Toub

Chuck, you got yourself bant?

Love the list but Kubiak is probably most likely on that list if JR eats Rivera's big contract. That's a giant IF.

Harbaugh I think just comes from too strong of a bargaining position and JR won't pay what he'll get elsewhere.

Cowher does have.....ahhhh. never mind.

Most realistic options to me...

- Gary Kubiak

- Pep Hamilton

- Tom Clements

- Todd Bowles

Others I'd consider possible...

- Kyle Shanahan

- Frank Reich

- Darrell Bevell

- Dan Quinn

- Hue Jackson

- Dave Toub

- Brad Seely

Who I'd classify as unlikely...

- Jim Harbaugh

- Perry Fewell

- Tom Coughlin (as a coach, at least)

- Any of the college guys

- Any of the TV guys

- Any of the 'hot seat' guys

And under the category of 'no way in hell'...

- Anybody currently on the Panthers staff

Love the list but Kubiak is probably most likely on that list if JR eats Rivera's big contract. That's a giant IF.

Harbaugh I think just comes from too strong of a bargaining position and JR won't pay what he'll get elsewhere.

My old act is restricted from posting.

I like Kubiak and think that he'd be a good fit with Cam. However, I just don't think JR will want to hire a candidate with previous HC experience (except Harbaugh and Cowher; pipe dream). Kubiak was a mediocre HC; great OC.

Agree they might not want to lose Dennison if they're already losing Kubiak,  There are definitely a few decent OCs likely available or Kubiak could call his own plays (not sure he's ever done that as a head coach though).  Mike Nolan could be a DC option too.  I suppose it's even conceivable he could keep McDermott.

I like Ken Zampese as an OC option too.  Same deal as with Dennison, the Bengals might not part with him but it's worth a shot.  Definitely one of the best pedigrees available.

Like Clements as well.  Bowles too.  I was looking at Jerry Gray also but in relation to someone else.  What about Winston Moss as a DC for Clements?

Thoughts on Pep Hamilton?

I don't mind Pep.  It's this offense.  A lot of people won't like that, but I do.  With Harbaugh's staff (BTW, that would be a great hire for the 9ers for continuity) possibly scattered, Pep would have a lot to pull from.  He's worked with Roman, etc.  I'd really like Solari. 

Zampese I would see moving.  They hired Gruden and then Hue over him.  That, you can kinda see coming.  Otherwise, you know a lot of teams don't want to let you strip them. 

WInston Moss I really like (he was a guy I fully expected my once-top GM candidate, Reggie McKenzie, to hire in Oakland).  I don't know if they'd let him go, but sure, he'd be interesting. He's not 3-4 specific, having come over before Capers' people. Going from AHC to DC seems like something he was interested in before.  I just don't know if GB would move him.  If so, absolutely, that solves Clements' DC issue.  

Mularkey doesn't run the same O that Clements does, but if you want to use their PGH/BUF unity, Mularkey's not a coordinator, so while not required to allow him to go, if they wanted?  Yeah, they could try. 

There's a level of loyalty with Rivera's defense.  If Rivera took Wilks as DC, then McDermott's available to stay.   If he's interested.   You'd assume that the staff will want to keep Proehl if interested, and Holcomb's Gettleman's guy. 

Hey, the hell is Mangini coaching TEs for?  That's weird.  How'd I not notice that before? 

I'm not against Reich and Toub as outliers.  It'd be funny, of course, since Metzelaars re-entered coaching last year, for a Reich/Metzelaars offensive staff to be here for year 21, but that's more momentary nostalgia than anything, they're decent but that's not the draw. 

Apparently, stupidity is a crime- here anyway.

Most realistic options to me...

- Gary Kubiak

- Pep Hamilton

- Tom Clements

- Todd Bowles

Others I'd consider possible...

- Kyle Shanahan

- Frank Reich

- Darrell Bevell

- Dan Quinn

- Hue Jackson

- Dave Toub

- Brad Seely

Who I'd classify as unlikely...

- Jim Harbaugh

- Perry Fewell

- Tom Coughlin (as a coach, at least)

- Any of the college guys

- Any of the TV guys

- Any of the 'hot seat' guys

And under the category of 'no way in hell'...

- Anybody currently on the Panthers staff

A- GET ON THE GUS BUS

or

B- GET THE PHUCK OUT

I don't mind Pep.  It's this offense.  A lot of people won't like that, but I do.  With Harbaugh's staff (BTW, that would be a great hire for the 9ers for continuity) possibly scattered, Pep would have a lot to pull from.  He's worked with Roman, etc.  I'd really like Solari. 

Zampese I would see moving.  They hired Gruden and then Hue over him.  That, you can kinda see coming.  Otherwise, you know a lot of teams don't want to let you strip them. 

WInston Moss I really like (he was a guy I fully expected my once-top GM candidate, Reggie McKenzie, to hire in Oakland).  I don't know if they'd let him go, but sure, he'd be interesting. He's not 3-4 specific, having come over before Capers' people. Going from AHC to DC seems like something he was interested in before.  I just don't know if GB would move him.  If so, absolutely, that solves Clements' DC issue.  

Mularkey doesn't run the same O that Clements does, but if you want to use their PGH/BUF unity, Mularkey's not a coordinator, so while not required to allow him to go, if they wanted?  Yeah, they could try. 

There's a level of loyalty with Rivera's defense.  If Rivera took Wilks as DC, then McDermott's available to stay.   If he's interested.   You'd assume that the staff will want to keep Proehl if interested, and Holcomb's Gettleman's guy. 

Hey, the hell is Mangini coaching TEs for?  That's weird.  How'd I not notice that before? 

I'm not against Reich and Toub as outliers.  It'd be funny, of course, since Metzelaars re-entered coaching last year, for a Reich/Metzelaars offensive staff to be here for year 21, but that's more momentary nostalgia than anything, they're decent but that's not the draw. 

Whole lotta people believe the 49ers offseason will see Harbaugh move on and Hamilton take his place.  It actually does seem like a viable scenario.

Did a quick search and found Zampese's had several OC interviews over the past several years; Lions in 2014, Bengals in 2011, Bears in 2010 and Panthers in 2007 (obviously that one we knew about; we chose Jeff Davidson).  Obviously if he's anything like his dad he'd be good, but so far no one's given him that shot.

Titans stated today they don't plan to make any coaching changes, but that doesn't necessarily mean they would deny Mularkey permission to advance.  He's been a successful OC before but he always gives me kind of an 'old news' vibe.

I like Reich, but one year coordinators make me really nervous.

And yeah, Mangini coaching tight ends made me go "huh"?  he was an 'offensive assistant' once years ago.  Near as I can tell, that's his only offensive experience.  He didn't even play offense in high school or college.

Archived