• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason Campbell, Jake Delhomme and the Panthers future at QB

BlindSite

He threw for under 200 yards a game and turned the ball over 13 times. He wasn't a game changer. He was a manager, he managed well.

It's a stupid point to keep arguing anyway, we can't afford a top ten pick, even when Peppers leaves, chances are we won't be able to.

Roethlisberger was just a big contributor to his team in his rookie year as was Ryan as you claimed.

Tommy Maddox was never a good quarterback.

...which pretty much proves my point against krdwhatever his name is, that the defense and running game carried the team. If the running game/defense was so good, which it was, why weren't his numbers better if that team could "carry" a QB?

And the answer is, because Maddox sucked and Ben was very good, and played efficiently.

Preseason football only means anything, at all, when the backups trot out. It's like getting excited over practices in shorts.

His last regular season was actually very, very good there were a few stutters but it was a new system. The draft is a 2 year process minimum to develop a QB, by that time Delhomme would be nearly 38. He won't last that long.

Campbell with our backs and line wouldn't just be a mid level QB, and even if he was, with our support cast, a mid level QB is all we need.

I think he has been the full time starter for the last two years. Had a new system each of those years, and to me, he is not a west coast QB. I think he would fit in our system pretty good.

He threw for under 200 yards a game and turned the ball over 13 times. He wasn't a game changer. He was a manager, he managed well.

You're looking at the WRONG stats. He threw for 8.88ypa with a 66% completion percentage, that's not game manager territory. He only threw 11 picks btw, and if you were including the fumbles well that was a lot better than most of the other quarterbacks in the league. He was making throws deep and taking risks. He plays the same role Jake does here, to let the running backs pick up the short yardage stuff and go to the air for medium and long passes.

Back to the point of the thread.. I'd be interested in seeing what Campbell could do in a Panthers uniform.

Back to my comments on Moore.. I understand his shortcomings. I understand he'll probably never be a good starting QB. I was just saying that a guy like him, who would have many years of experience in the offense, could possibly help fill a hole for a year or two while we sort out the situation.

But yeah, besides the point, Campbell would be interesting.

tommy maddox, a veteran with years more experience than ben played on the same exact offense on the same exact team with the same exact players in 2004 and played like a 6 foot coil of poo put on a football uniform and glided on the field

I know Tommie Maddox stunk. Everyone does. Ben is an awesome Qb now, but in my opinion his rookie season he took care of the ball, made plays when they needed to, and leaned on his defense/running game much better than Maddox did. I just don't think he won that team games. But that was due to inexperience, obviously, because without him, that team doesnt have two Super Bowls in the last decade. Just my opinion.

It's not hard to get a good rating as a quarterback when you're throwing 20 passes a game to Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward in an extremely run heavy system.

Burress was already gone by 05, the only real wr threat was Ward, and maybe

Randalel to some degree. But your point mostly taken. I don't even want to think about our team in 3 years, kinda scary.

Tell that to 49ers fans who've watched a conga line of retards march through their QB position keeping their franchise inept for the best part of this decade, better yet tell that to the Texans, or the Vikings, or the pre drew Brees new orleans saints.

Jake has at least 2 years left in him after this one, provided he doesn't get hurt again, and that should be long enough to find someone who works to replace him. The answer is not Jason Campbell though, because he has basically the same passing abilities as Delhomme does overall, but a fraction of the ability to lead his team, especially in tough situations.

Burress was already gone by 05, the only real wr threat was Ward, and maybe

Randalel to some degree. But your point mostly taken. I don't even want to think about our team in 3 years, kinda scary.

It's good you pointed out that Buress was in New York in 05, because big ben was a rookie in 04. Check your facts before you correct someone ;)

Jake hasn't showed me enough that he even has 1 year left in him much less 2 or 3.

I tend to agree, I'm one of his biggest defenders and supporters, but his career is drawing to a close.

Archived