• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

English Premier League TV rights to be $7.9 Billion over 3yrs

CelibatePimp

On Tuesday, the English Premier League announced that Sky Sports and BT Sport would retain the league’s domestic television rights at a staggering cost: About $7.9 billion over three years starting in the 2016-17 season, a 70 percent increase over what they’re currently paying. And when international rights are factored in, the league is expected take in about $13 billion over the course of the deal, or around $4.3 billion per year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/02/13/massive-new-english-premier-league-tv-deal-has-the-rest-of-european-soccer-worried/

Obviously the rest of Europe is worried, very worried.

Lol.. La Liga is the best league in the world? Well, that's horseshit. They have 2 teams, and a bunch of scrubs because of how imbalanced their deals are... and now he's crying about someone else being able to afford his toys better? GTFO you silly wanker! :lol:

Lol.. La Liga is the best league in the world? Well, that's horseshit. They have 2 teams, and a bunch of scrubs because of how imbalanced their deals are... and now he's crying about someone else being able to afford his toys better? GTFO you silly wanker! :lol:

I call it the Bi-Liga.

When was the last time they won it before last year?

To be fair, for years it was only the Big Four in the BPL before the UAE guys purchased City. And of that "Big Four," Liverpool has yet to win an EPL title and Arsenal hasn't won it since 2003-04.

Since the BPL was created in 1992, only five teams have won it, and Blackburn ('95) isn't even in the league anymore while City only started winning in 2011-12.

As an Arsenal fan it seems like Arsenal develops the talent to win but ends up selling it off in its prime (Henry, RVP, Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, etc.) I don't follow the team well enough to be a regular in here but I feel like the goal is just to make the top four and any trophies are just gravy. Spurs is the same way (Bale) but they can't ever break into that top four. I mean, is there really an expectation for Kane to be with Spurs for life?

No doubt the BPL is the best league in the world with its success over here really unprecedented and leading domestic U.S. league's to at least consider attempting to garner the same success in Europe. No other league can come close to claiming that success, but competitively the BPL lacks parity just like those other European leagues.

I do not necessarily think that BPL is the best league in the world based on quality, I think the three to leagues are all really close, but they certainly are the most popular.

To be fair though, they have a huge advantage stateside and that is the language. This has helped them get better TV deals over here and in turn their popularity grew much faster.

I am excited about the FOX deal for the Bundesliga that starts next season. Would love to see their presence grow over here the way BPL had. Of course as a Bayern fan a lot over here will view me the way I always viewed Man U fans.

To be fair, for years it was only the Big Four in the BPL before the UAE guys purchased City. And of that "Big Four," Liverpool has yet to win an EPL title and Arsenal hasn't won it since 2003-04.

Since the BPL was created in 1992, only five teams have won it, and Blackburn ('95) isn't even in the league anymore while City only started winning in 2011-12.

As an Arsenal fan it seems like Arsenal develops the talent to win but ends up selling it off in its prime (Henry, RVP, Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, etc.) I don't follow the team well enough to be a regular in here but I feel like the goal is just to make the top four and any trophies are just gravy. Spurs is the same way (Bale) but they can't ever break into that top four. I mean, is there really an expectation for Kane to be with Spurs for life?

No doubt the BPL is the best league in the world with its success over here really unprecedented and leading domestic U.S. league's to at least consider attempting to garner the same success in Europe. No other league can come close to claiming that success, but competitively the BPL lacks parity just like those other European leagues.

I'm an Arsenal fan and u r lil wrong there bud. Arsenal used to develop talent and sell it for big bucks to finish paying for almost a billion dollar stadium they built in 2006. In the last 2 years Arsenal spent close to £170m on bring new players in. Arsenal made paying off stadium #1 priority because of 10% interest rate on a loan. Because stadium is completely paid off, Arsenal has close to £120m in annual transfer fees. If not for the injuries, Arsenal could of easily be #1 or #2 in the BPL. Arsenal is a striker away from being a very dominant team.

I do not necessarily think that BPL is the best league in the world based on quality, I think the three to leagues are all really close, but they certainly are the most popular.

To be fair though, they have a huge advantage stateside and that is the language. This has helped them get better TV deals over here and in turn their popularity grew much faster.

I am excited about the FOX deal for the Bundesliga that starts next season. Would love to see their presence grow over here the way BPL had. Of course as a Bayern fan a lot over here will view me the way I always viewed Man U fans.

BPL is the most watched league in US. It means BPL will get mad money from TV deals. Mad money from TV deals means more money for teams to spend on top class players.

Archived