• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

I don't think you can throw just any QB behind center in Indy, but those saying that the Colts haven't done a good job building around Luck are delusional. They drafted offensive line, T.Y. Hilton, Fleener, etc in just his first year alone, and they've continued doing so.

You mean with moves like using their last two first rounders on Bjorn Werner and Trent Richardson, while also making moves like spending 3.5 million on their fourth receiver?

Oh yeah. Genius at work, there.

And Fleener doesn't scare anybody.

You mean with moves like using their last two first rounders on Bjorn Werner and Trent Richardson, while also making moves like spending 3.5 million on their fourth receiver?

Oh yeah. Genius at work, there.

And Fleener doesn't scare anybody.

I'll give you the Richardson trade. But giving up a first rounder shows you just how much they want to build around Luck.

It took the Panthers 4 years just to draft Newton a competent OG and WR.

Fleener put up like 800 yards, and 8 TD's. I wasn't insinuating he was elite or something, but he is a good weapon for Luck clearly.

You ever watch Barry Sanders highlights? I love em. Arguably the greatest running back of all time. Made plays that people were just dumbfounded to try and explain.

You know what there's relatively few of, though?

Barry Sanders playoff highlights.

And Barry Sanders Super Bowl highlights...well, they don't exist.

Why? Because the Lions paid him a ton and scrimped on everything else.

The big games are still won by the best team, not the best player.

I agree that it's a team game. But you can't let two great talents at two of the most important positions in the game walk.

Let me ask you this then... What do you want us to do? Cuz you said to pay them, but then you likened that to having Marty Hurney back.

Cam is more important then Wilson about even with luck. Deserve more money maybe but just because another team overpays don't mean we should.

The operative question is what constitutes 'overpayment'.

Gettleman has made clear that he sees Newton as a franchise quarterback, but I think the folks who see that and think 'blank check' are in error.

What Gettleman has also made abundantly clear is that he won't pay more than what he feels is 'good value' for the team.

Where those numbers meet? Who knows?

In the (what i would still consider highly unlikely) event that they don't , the explosion on this site will make Pompeii look like a firecracker.

I'll give you the Richardson trade. But giving up a first rounder shows you just how much they want to build around Luck.

It took the Panthers 4 years just to draft Newton a competent OG and WR.

Fleener put up like 800 yards, and 8 TD's. I wasn't insinuating he was elite or something, but he is a good weapon for Luck clearly.

I don't question Grigson's desire to build around Luck, or even his approach. I actually like what he's tried to do.

What I question quite a bit are his skills as a talent evaluator and his ability to judge the value of a player.

Wanting to build around Luck and being good at it are two very different things. Heck, Marty Hurney certainly wanted to build a perennial contender. He just lacked the skill to do it.

Bottom Line: Do I want the guy who thought Trent Richardson was worth trading a first round pick and Hakeem Nicks was a 3.5 million dollar receiver setting the market that's going to affect what Newton's agent wants?

Ugh :(

Where are all these people who are supposedly saying we should just give Newton a "blank check"?

I'm not seeing them.

What's important is what have the Panthers done in the last 4 years to make Cam want to stay in Carolina, perhaps for a few dollars less?

Is the coaching staff, roster and overall environment at BofA conducive to Cam and makes him lean towards staying?

Have the Panthers done enough?

There were a lot of people on this site who mid season were sure Ron Rivera would be terminated at season's end despite just having been given a long term extension. Coaching prospective threads abounded.

Wrong, was never going to happen.

Cam knows what the future will be like in Carolina, does he want to be a part of it?

The operative question is what constitutes 'overpayment'.

Gettleman has made clear that he sees Newton as a franchise quarterback, but I think the folks who see that and think 'blank check' are in error.

What Gettleman has also made abundantly clear is that he won't pay more than what he feels is 'good value' for the team.

Where those numbers meet? Who knows?

In the (what i would still consider highly unlikely) event that they don't , the explosion on this site will make Pompeii look like a firecracker.

Well stated.

There are a lot of folks here who seem to want to make Cam the highest paid player in the NFL to validate him.  To those folks I say, "Remember the good ole days when Marty Hurney was here?"  These are the same people who have been saying that Cam has no protection and no weapons.  Pay the man too much, and that trend will continue.

I have been saying for months, Gettlemen is not emotionally attached to Cam.  He can keep him for 2 more years if he wants, and he might do that while he finds and develops another qb.  Imagine if he traded Cam to Cleveland for their 2 #1 draft picks?  We would have 3 first rounders and $20 m to use in free agency.  Anderson was undefeated last year....

I doubt that happens, but if Cam is not committed to Carolina, if getting overpaid here is not enough for him, then maybe Gettlemen explores ways to turn a negative into a positive.  Yes, this site would explode, but they are not in Gettlemen's shoes, having to make football decisions that benefit the long-term development of the franchise.

I don't question Grigson's desire to build around Luck, or even his approach. I actually like what he's tried to do.

What I question quite a bit are his skills as a talent evaluator and his ability to judge the value of a player.

Wanting to build around Luck and being good at it are two very different things. Heck, Marty Hurney certainly wanted to build a perennial contender. He just lacked the skill to do it.

Bottom Line: Do I want the guy who thought Trent Richardson was worth trading a first round pick and Hakeem Nicks was a 3.5 million dollar receiver setting the market that's going to affect what Newton's agent wants?

Ugh :(

I wouldn't put him with Hurney lol. Aside from that trade, he seems to have done okay for the most part. If the only other blunder you can come up with is Hakeem Nicks on a one year deal for 4 million and 500 yards/5 TD's, you may be reaching just a bit.

I agree that it's a team game. But you can't let two great talents at two of the most important positions in the game walk.

Let me ask you this then... What do you want us to do? Cuz you said to pay them, but then you likened that to having Marty Hurney back.

I want to keep both players without overpaying either.

Simple request, right? :wacko:

Archived