• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mock Offseason 4.0

CatalystNX

Here's my latest attempt at a mock offseason:

PHASE 1: ROSTER MAINTENANCE
RELEASES:
RB DeAngelo Williams (June 1st cut)

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:
OLB Thomas Davis (4 years)
TE Greg Olsen (4 years)
CB Josh Norman (5 years)

NOTES: DeAngelo's release is all but a given at this point. The contract extensions are necessary both to keep key players around (both Olsen and Davis have deals that expire after this season) but also lower their cap numbers for this season. Josh Norman deserves a new deal and we might as well sign him now before he has another great year and costs a bunch more next offseason.

PHASE 2: FREE AGENCY
Sheard.jpg
Jabaal Sheard, DE, Browns (4 years)
I don't expect we'll make any major "splash" signings, but if we're going to spend money, I'd expect it to be at Dave Gettleman's favorite position: pass rusher. I don't expect Jabaal Sheard to command a huge contract, but he won't come cheap either. Still, with Greg Hardy all but gone, we need to shore up our pass rush and Sheard is a guy I think fits the bill. He's been somewhat mis-cast as a 3-4 OLB the last couple years in Cleveland, but is better suited for a 4-3 scheme as his first few years showed.

Ted-Ginn.jpeg
Ted Ginn, WR/KR, Cardinals (2 years)
Officially, Ginn is under contract with the Cardinals for 2 more years. However, word is he's almost certain to be released after a poor first season in Arizona. If he is, I see no reason not to bring him back. He's already got good chemistry with Cam, knows the offense, and immediately solves our punt return woes. If he's available, this is a no-brainer to me.

Charles+Clay+Miami+Dolphins+v+Kansas+Cit
Charles Clay, TE, Dolphins
This offseason is supposed to be all about getting Cam more help/weapons. We'll likely be priced out of the top WR's and as I said before, it seems unlikely we'll find a starting LT in free agency so we'll need to get creative. Charles Clay would be a good get as a #2 TE. He can catch, block, and even play fullback in a pinch. Cam really had success early in his career throwing to Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey; we haven't had a real dual-TE threat since, but signing Clay would give us that again.

falcons-defensive-tackle-corey-peters-ch
Corey Peters, DT, Falcons (2 years)
Both Dwan Edwards and Colin Cole are free agents and we seem content to let both go. That being the case, I expect us to draft at least one DT, but we could also use a veteran presence to help fill the void left by Dwan and Cole. Corey Peters is a solid all-around player who would provide great depth behind Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short.

OTHER SIGNINGS:
Corey Hilliard, OT, Lions (1 year)

NOTES: I'd really like to sign a true starting left tackle, but the truth is there isn't likely to be anyone available who fits the bill. Michael Roos is considering retirement, King Dunlap re-signed with the Chargers, and Bryan Bulaga looks likely to re-sign with Green Bay, would cost too much, and is more of a right tackle anyway. Doug Free is an option, but it seems likely he'll command more money than what we'll likely pay for a 31 year old who is a better fit at right tackle. For this reason, I passed on a big name tackle in free agency.

Between Jabaal Sheard bolstering the pass rush, Ted Ginn giving us a deep threat and real threat at punt returner, Charles Clay providing a versatile receiving weapon opposite Greg Olsen, and Corey Peters providing solid veteran depth off the bench along the DL, I feel like this free agent class strikes a balance between bringing in guys who will actually improve the team without splurging on the big names we can't afford. A relatively minor signing I included is Corey Hilliard, who provides depth at tackle.

PHASE 3: 2015 NFL DRAFT
hqdefault.jpg
1st: Shaq Thompson, SS, Washington
I realize left tackle is a bigger need, but I can envision a very real scenario where all the top tackles are off the board by the time we pick and all the 1st round WR's as well. In that event, all we can do is go BPA and if he's still on the board at 25 we'd be crazy not to draft Shaq Thompson. I've heard a lot of people say he could be a long-term replacement for Thomas Davis at OLB, but what I have in mind with this pick is our own version of Kam Chancellor at strong safety. He's got the size for a safety and the speed to cover TE's deep. We play him as a hybrid SS/OLB the way Seattle does Chancellor and it could be a huge addition to our defense.

humphries-draft-640.jpg
2nd: D.J. Humphries, OT, Florida
If all the top tackles are gone by the 25th pick then we'll have to land one in round 2. The good news is this is a very deep draft at offensive tackle and D.J. Humphries is one of the 2nd round options I feel really good about. I think he could step in day one and start for us and play well. Another option here could be Jake Fisher of Oregon, but Humphries gets the nod in this scenario.

Dorsett.jpg
3rd: Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami
We brought back Ted Ginn, but we'll want to see about adding a long-term legit deep threat. Philip Dorsett is a burner who runs solid routes. There's a good chance he's gone before this pick, but good players drop every year and Dorsett does lack ideal size. In any event, given the way this draft has played out, WR has to be the priority in the 3rd round.

UI+carl+davis5.jpg
4th: Carl Davis, DT, Iowa
We all know Dave Gettleman loves his defensive linemen and Carl Davis is a guy who has a ton of upside. He had a great week on the field at the Senior Bowl, but was said to come off poorly during interviews. That could cause him to fall some and if he's still around come the 4th round I expect Gettleman would pounce.

85af4593fc8ed6269514fdf6df9aeae8.jpg
5th: Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee
We hit on Bene' Benwikere in the 5th last year; hopefully we can do it again. Justin Coleman played very well for the Vols last year as their nickel corner, a position that is very important in the Panthers defensive scheme. If he works out we'd have a really solid young CB group to build on/develop with Josh Norman, Bene' Benwikere, and Coleman.

940x.jpg
5th (COMP): David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
With DeAngelo's release we'll be left with Jonathan Stewart and Fozzy Whittaker as our backs. Given Stewart's injury history I think it's safe to say we'll want to add a back in the mid-rounds that can contribute and hopefully develop into more. Northern Iowa's David Johnson is just that type of runner.

Aundrey_Walker_insta-thumb-500x500-47298
6th: Aundrey Walker, OG, USC
I really like our young starting tandem at guard of Norwell and Turner, but I don't trust our depth one bit. Amini Silatolu has been a bust and Chris Scott is a stop-gap at best. It wouldn't hurt to add some interior OL depth late in the draft and USC's Aundrey Walker fits the bill in this scenario.

tumblr_inline_njzetgCqDP1rodunn.jpg
6th (COMP): Jamil Douglas, OT/OG, Arizona State
As I stated with the last pick, OL depth never hurts; especially when you've got someone who can play both tackle and guard. Douglas is probably a better fit at guard in the NFL, but he's also played tackle at Arizona State and done it well.

p1240343776-3.jpg
6th (COMP): Chris Harper, WR, California
While Harper isn't the biggest or fastest WR in the draft, I like him as a late-round developmental player who can be coached up by Ricky Proehl. We may not see an immediate return, but I think with some development he could be a solid contributor, much like Proehl himself was in his day.

ECU-FB-Williams-UL-web.jpg
7th: Terry Williams, DT, East Carolina
Gettleman loves his DL and we could do a lot worse than taking a late round flyer on a home-grown talent like Terry Williams. He flashed dominance at times this past season at ECU, but had academic issues and could stand to improve his conditioning, but Williams has the potential to be a potent run-stuffing tackle in the NFL.

NOTES: I went with current projections of compensatory picks. I think this draft class would give us a good combo of day 1 starters, key contributors, and developmental players for the future. Shaq Thompson is a freak athlete who, if he makes the adjustment to strong safety, could help take our defense to another level. D.J. Humphries is a day 1 starter at left tackle, IMO, while Aundrey Walker and Jamil Douglas provide depth and a couple of young developmental linemen. Philip Dorsett is the speedster we desperately need for the long run opposite Kelvin Benjamin while Carl Davis and Terry Williams compliment each other very well at DT and could both become key players in our rotation in time. Justin Coleman has the ability to be an extremely effective slot corner for us, and David Johnson could contribute quite a bit as a rookie given Jonathan Stewart's history of injuries.

PHASE 4: THE 53 MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART
QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Fozzy Whittaker, David Johnson
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR1: Kelvin Benjamin
WR2: Jerricho Cotchery/Philly Brown
WR3: Ted Ginn/Philip Dorsett/Chris Harper
TE: Greg Olsen/Charles Clay, Brandon Williams
LT: D.J. Humphries, Corey Hilliard
LG: Andrew Norwell, Amini Silatolu
OC: Ryan Kalil, Brian Folkerts
RG: Trai Turner, Aundrey Walker
RT: Mike Remmers, Jamil Douglas

DE: Charles Johnson, Mario Addison, Wes Horton
DT: Star Lotulelei, Corey Peters, Terry Williams
DT: Kawann Short, Carl Davis
RE: Jabaal Sheard, Kony Ealy, Frank Alexander
OLB: Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson
MLB: Luke Kuechly, Ben Jacobs
OLB: Adarius Glanton/A.J. Klein
CB1: Josh Norman
CB2: Bene' Benwikere
NB: Justin Coleman
CB: Melvin White, Carrington Byndom
FS: Tre Boston, Colin Jones
SS: Shaq Thompson/Roman Harper

K: Graham Gano
P: Brad Nortman
LS: J.J. Jansen
KR/PR: Ted Ginn

FINAL NOTES: Looking over the final roster, you'll notice some names from last year missing. Nate Chandler was cut because, well, he's pretty terrible. In reality there would probably be a camp battle between Chandler and Jamil Douglas for a backup OL spot. You'll notice the WR depth chart is a bit scrambled, but I figure that would come down to competition in camp as to who emerges as the starter opposite Benjamin as well as in the slot. The only other competition for a starting job is between Adarius Glanton and A.J. Klein at OLB.

You'll also notice Shaq Thompson as the primary backup to Thomas Davis as well as the starting strong safety along with Roman Harper. This is what I see as his role as a rookie while he makes the transition to safety fully. He'll split time with Harper with the starters at safety and also see time as a linebacker in certain packages. Obviously the defensive line is extremely deep, particularly if the rookies can show their worth early-on.

Cotchery as the #2 would be a slap in Cams face again. There is no excuse not to provide him with someone more formidable.

You did a good job and it could work out like this, knowing this organization so this wasn't a knock at all on your predictions. It was more of a jab at the organization's inept ability to address obvious issues (sometimes) when there isn't an excuse not to.

Archived