• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which NFL Talking heads are worth listening to?

Moorgan

Just watched Louis Riddick (I think that's his name) on Mike and Mike in the morning and was interested in how everything he said made sense and was well thought out and logical. I've heard similarly impressive things from Polian and Mayock. I've also been impressed by Jalen Rose talking about the NBA.

Oftentimes it seems like most analysts/former players parrot what viewers expect to hear or are just kind of brain dead.

So whose opinions do you guys think are worth listening to? Besides Igo.

It's really all in the eye of the beholder.. obviously there are the trolls like Skip and Steven A. Smith.. but I actually like Smith when he isnt yelling because he is actually "in the know" when he talks NBA.. Jalen Rose is my favorite but not on ESPN or network TV- I like him when he speaks freely and everything isnt forced when he does his Pods on Grantland/Youtube

Cris Carter is someone I respect in the NFL circles.. and sad to say I enjoy listening to Michael Irvin sometimes

basically i take anything said with a grain of salt if its spoken on ESPN

PS- if ESPN was smart they would throw a boat load of money at Hubie Brown before he is too old and just ask him to talk for 24 hours and record it.. he is so full of knowledge and can still articulate himself.. i love watching him and Turico call NBA games

Are you meaning aside from the local beat writers>?

I mean literally who, out of anyone, be it print, radio, tv or Internet is worth listening to? There are some guys whose insight and thought process is not only informative but educational. Who are those guys? I used to think that about Gregg Easterbrook because I was entertained by his column but guys like Jalen Rose has changed the way I think about the NBA. Who are those people for the NFL? That Louis Riddick guy was good commentary this morning.

I mean literally who, out of anyone, be it print, radio, tv or Internet is worth listening to? There are some guys whose insight and thought process is not only informative but educational. Who are those guys? I used to think that about Gregg Easterbrook because I was entertained by his column but guys like Jalen Rose has changed the way I think about the NBA. Who are those people for the NFL? That Louis Riddick guy was good commentary this morning.

If you find an honest, well versed writer that does his own work and not report what someone else reported or maybe even one that has an original thought in his head let me know.  I would like to listen/read/watch that person, given that it is not, in fact, Person.

Daniel Jeremiah (although I swear he's getting paid by rookie agents nowadays), Bucky Brooks (mainly for the Panthers stories) and Mike Mayock (who is actually very good at breaking down film. 

Also if you aren't make sure you catch Daniel Jemeriah's podcast. You can learn a LOT about scouting and he brings in some really good guests. 

Archived