• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Olsen Exstention Saves Panthers $1.5 Million in Cap Space

NJPanthers12

Look, I don't mean to be "that" guy.

My ultimate point is that if you think that acquiring talented players in free agency is somehow "bad" because of what it does to your easily manipulated cap, or because it goes against some Huddle fabricated Hurney dark years rationale for why signing good free agents is secretly a "bad formula for winning" or whatever, then it's time to move on.

If Gettleman truly is intent on addressing needs via FA as he claims, then how is the entirety of this board going to look as they enter each offseason mocking every team that adds a good pro bowl player in FA once we start doing the same.

The saints are like 20+ million over the cap is the difference

and all they got out of their "wreckless spending" is a super bowl title and perennial success

gee i hope we don't get that, I'd rather save our cap!

With a few restructures and couple cuts of overpaid, aging, easily replaceable players, they'll be just fine as we've been the past few years.

and all they got out of their "wreckless spending" is a super bowl title and perennial success

gee i hope we don't get that, I'd rather save our cap!

With a few restructures and couple cuts of overpaid, aging, easily replaceable players, they'll be just fine as we've been the past few years.

They won that title five years ago before their most recent spending spree. How is that relevant?

Yeah how successful they won 7 games with their diamond studded roster and the team you're slamming for being cheap beat them out for the division. Get some perspective.

They won that title five years ago before their most recent spending spree. How is that relevant?

Yeah how successful they won 7 games with their diamond studded roster and the team you're slamming for being cheap beat them out for the division. Get some perspective.

This implies they've had some philosophical shift in the years since. That super bowl team had a number of free agent acquisitions and a number of core players from that team remained and had success in the ensuing years

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us?  I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

Hurney's downfall was a gross miscalculation of the cap figure. His bleeping boss negotiated the CBA and somehow Hurney failed to realize the cap would be flat for two years. While those high cap figures may not look great, we are expected significant rise in the cap over the next 4 years.

Why is the contract back loaded? I don't understand the big hits at the end. Isn't that what Hurney did to screw us? I love Olsen, but I don't think it was very smart to put 10 million on the books for each of the last 2 years. He will be 33 and 34 years old.

Because players like greg olsen are worth 10 million.

Archived