• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam is going to get paid

SgtJoo

Most of the current contracts signed today only have 30% guaranteed.

Flacco's 24%

Cutlers 30%

Brees is 40% 

Romos is 37%

Kap's 11.4%

Dalton 17.7%

Ryan's 40.5%

Rodgers 49.1%

Guarantees are going down with the higher contracts protects the club if a player gets injured

I can't see anything less than 35% getting it done.

Gettleman seems pretty good at structuring contracts. It's gonna be a stare down for awhile though.

Newton has plenty of leverage. Drafting him some help on the offense this year would certainly help our case though.

True on all points for me. But, I'm also never going to fault a guy for wanting those extra few million early in his career. Cam knowing he could've died earlier this year in his wreck, while also getting hit on the field/playing injured all year had to also make him aware that he's not a literal Superman and the tolls are being taken on his body. I'd more than likely want as much money as possible too. And hell, maybe it's just a matter of being a competitor. He looks at Matt Ryan making 20.75 a year, and says hey...I deserve more than that guy. 

In the end, I'm pretty confident a deal gets done. There will be initial sticker shock for most, but in the end I think it comes off being a fair deal for everyone over the next 5-6 years. 

I have thought about that wreck--what emotional impact it had on Cam.  I wondered if the "family atmosphere" here was felt and if it would impact his demands. 

I have no problem giving a player what he is worth, and a franchise qb is in the $20m range--I just think Gettlemen is not going to want to exceed that # by much if at all.  Cam has not shown that he has been a top 10 QB--Gettlemen will have to decide if he thinks he has the potential to become one. 

I am really tired of the Cam contract conversation.  I hope it gets done very soon.

With Suh getting the money he got and all these massive QB deals we would have to be spending around 40+ million a year on just Keek and Cam if we lock them both up.

I'm sorry, but if Cam's numbers decline again and we miss the playoffs I don't see why avoiding paying him 6 years 120 million would be such a bad idea. I love Cam, but I love the Panthers more. And I'd hate to see this team get in salary cap hell again just because we overpayed for a QB we shouldn't have.

Of course, I hope it all works out and we end up keeping Cam. But I'm prepared for the possibility of losing him.

LOL... there are still the select but persistent few who really, REALLY want to experience my sig quote (below) in action.

What did I say that made you think I wasn't calm? Well now I'll give you reason

Im done with talking Cam Newton. You can't say poo about him here unless you're comments are praising the man. I love Cam Newton, and want to keep him. However, regardless of what Gettleman said, if the money is too much, and he struggles next season, I think it's very reasonable to think Gman will let him walk.

You're a grown man, time to stop hugging the nuts of another grown man.

I love Cam!  But...

I love Cam!  However...

I love Cam!  Except...

I love Cam!  Yet...

I love Cam!  Still..

I love Cam!  Nevertheless...

The haunting cry of the species continues. :lol:

I don't get why all of you seem to think I'm against extending Cam Newton. 

You mean outside the fact that when someone dares to disagree with you about Cam Newton, you immediately revert to the tried-and-true "nut hugger" label to minimize those who disagree with you?

Wow... who could have ever imagined that someone might think you are against Cam Newton?   :unsure:

It's only stupid to someone too stupid to understand it. You all boast about a team's ability to force a player to stay with it without ever giving the player an ACTUAL contract. It doesn't matter how much more than an actual indentured servant they're being paid, philosophically, it's exactly the same. 

When you join a union that made an agreement with the league to allow things like "franchising" a player, that means you agree with the actions of the union.

In other words, you SIGNED A CONTRACT agreeing that you would play under those requirements for compensation that you VOLUNTARILY consider adequate.

"Indentured servitude"... :lol:

You mean outside the fact that when someone dares to disagree with you about Cam Newton, you immediately revert to the tried-and-true "nut hugger" label to minimize those who disagree with you?

Wow... who could have ever imagined that someone might think you are against Cam Newton? :unsure:

It was a response to a smart ass comment made towards me.

You got a lot of time on your hands to quote all that.

And unlike most people here I don't have to believe Cam Newton is the second coming Christ to support him at the same time.

When you join a union that made an agreement with the league to allow things like "franchising" a player, that means you agree with the actions of the union.

In other words, you SIGNED A CONTRACT agreeing that you would play under those requirements for compensation that you VOLUNTARILY consider adequate.

"Indentured servitude"... :lol:

You said all that as if indentured servants weren't under contract/agreement. 

You said all that as if indentured servants weren't under contract/agreement. 

Indentured servants were "servants" because they were placed into positions where their only choices were to "serve" or fuging "starve".

The fact that you can compare that to million dollar athletes and their contract choices is farcical.

And here we watch the 'franchise QB' debate break down like it almost always does.

Reality is a lot of you are measuring with the wrong criteria.

Does Newton have issues? Absolutely he does. So does every other franchise quarterback. Despite all the hype they get, not a single one of them is perfect. And yes that includes Brady, Rodgers, etc.

Newton needs coaching. They all do. And they always will. But that's not the argument (or at least it shouldn't be)

I said back when we were debating Jake Delhomme that there are only two types of quarterback in the NFL, and it's still true.

There are quarterbacks that are good enough to win the Super Bowl, and there are quarterbacks that are not.

That's it. No perfects, no top fives, top tens, blah blah blah. You want to have those discussions, have at it. But when it's all said and done the reality is you're just arguing over adjectives.

The true bottom line is this and only this: Can he win it all or not?

I still say yes. You disagree? Fine. Prove it to me.

Archived