• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

Another overreaction. Saying he is lazy with his mechanics doesn't say he s lazy in his behavior or attitude. It is a football term meaning he is often doesn't follow through with each fundamental movement and often shortcuts his mechanics. That has nothing to do with hi being injured or surgery. Let's be real here, it isn't as of this issue just dropped off this past year. It has been a consistent issue since he came here. Why so defensive all the time?

Well maybe you should have elaborated on your own post then. Don't blame other people for your piss poor choice of words.

So injuries and ankle surgery had absolutely nothing at all to do with his mechanics? Are you drunk?

Well maybe you should have elaborated on your own post then. Don't blame other people for your piss poor choice of words.

So injuries and ankle surgery had absolutely nothing at all to do with his mechanics? Are you drunk?

Not to mention inconsistent Oline play, piss poor WR corp and having to be 40% of the running game...

60% comp. Rate and more passing yards than any QB in history their 1st four years says different. .

Andy Dalton has a better completion %, more passing yds and more passing TDs than Cam. Obviously you have not been keeping up to date. Hence we are all crying for him to get better because there is no way Dalton is more talented than Cam.

All of y'all make good points. Let's just hope he puts it all together this year. What does excite me about what Ron said was we were going to do a lot more no huddle offense this year. That seems to be when Cam is at his best. We shall see.

I agree with what Rivera is saying, but if you want Cam to become a pocket passer then you have to call plays as if he's a pocket passer. When Cam gets into a rhythm with his arm, he can be very good. After rewatching the first half of the season, I've seen that these designed runs that Shula calls for Cam end up killing his momentum passing the ball. I just find that Rivera is being kinda hypocritical with his comments. I'm pretty sure Voth wrote an article about this at about midseason.

Cam is already a good pocket passer at long as he stays patient and stays fundamentally sound. Of course the line had something to do with the pressure that he felt to the point he often felt phantom pressure and took off too soon. But that isn't an excuse for him not to continue to work on his fundamentals and keep evolving into the complete quarterback that we know he can .

I forgot that many folks here don't understand basic football terms and need it spelled out for them. I will keep,that in mind in the future,

So if he still is inconsistent when he is absolutely healthy at the end of the year then how much did the injuries and ankle surgery affect his mechanics earlier. Simple logic dictates that he acted the same healthy or not then that was not a major factor in his mechanics. Now talking about his mobility is another issue altogether.

Andy Dalton has a better completion %, more passing yds and more passing TDs than Cam. Obviously you have not been keeping up to date. Hence we are all crying for him to get better because there is no way Dalton is more talented than Cam.

Cam is 2nd with 300 less yards.. He also played 2 less games.. My Bad... Cam also has 5,000+ rushing yards and 33 rushing TD.. How about that??

But Dalton isn't 77% of his offense like Cam is and who has had a better surrounding cast Cam or Dalton? ?

You might want to take a look at Andrew Luck's completion % before throwing that around.

No other QB in NFL history has accounted for more touchdowns as quickly as Newton has in his first 4 seasons.

Fact of the matter is, Newton did not come into the NFL having had 3-4 seasons in college to perfect his craft as a pocket passer like a number of the other guys. He had one year in the SEC. He's been playing catch up his first 4 NFL seasons. Give him time.

He took the next step in 2013 when he had a real starting left tackle.

Unfortunately 2014 was one big series of unfortunate circumstances all happening at once, with the surgery, the injuries, our FO deciding to clear out the entire WR core while Newton recovered from surgery, Gross retiring. It was not the norm by any means.

Even with all that, early on in the season before the injuries began to pile up, Newton looked damn sharp as a pocket passer.

This thread is quickly turning to a shitfest, like usual of course, so I'm just about done.

You might want to take a look at Andrew Luck's completion % before throwing that around.

No other QB in NFL history has accounted for more touchdowns as quickly as Newton has in his first 4 seasons.

Fact of the matter is, Newton did not come into the NFL having had 3-4 seasons in college to perfect his craft as a pocket passer like a number of the other guys. He had one year in the SEC. He's been playing catch up his first 4 NFL seasons. Give him time.

He took the next step in 2013 when he had a real starting left tackle.

Unfortunately 2014 was one big series of unfortunate circumstances all happening at once, with the surgery, the injuries, our FO deciding to clear out the entire WR core while Newton recovered from surgery, Gross retiring. It was not the norm by any means.

Even with all that, early on in the season before the injuries began to pile up, Newton looked damn sharp as a pocket passer.

This thread is quickly turning to a shitfest, like usual of course, so I'm just about done.

Who is talking about Andrew Luck? Obsessed much?

Cam is already a good pocket passer at learn as he stays patient and stays fundamentally sound. Of course the line had something to do with the pressure that he felt to the point he often felt phantom pressure and took off too soon. But that isn't an excuse for him not to continue to work on his fundamentals and keep evolving into the complete quarterback that we know he can .

Oh I completely I agree. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Cam can still improve on his mechanics and such. I'd almost prefer if Shula made Cam stay in the pocket in training camp and eliminate some of the silly read options and quarterback powers to really drill into Cam's mind of who he needs to become. At least to a certain extent anyway.

Oh I completely I agree. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Cam can still improve on his mechanics and such. I'd almost prefer if Shula made Cam stay in the pocket in training camp and eliminate some of the silly read options and quarterback powers to really drill into Cam's mind of who he needs to become. At least to a certain extent anyway.

I would love for that to happened. . But 2 problems. .

There has to be a pocket. . And there has to be WR who can get open..

I don't see other pocket passer with only 2 pass catching options. .

Who is talking about Andrew Luck? Obsessed much?

Wow, nice of you to completely ignore everything in that post.

If that's how you want to play it, why did you bring up Andy Dalton then? It's okay to mention Dalton to support your flawed argument, but mentioning other QB's when it does not suit your argument is not acceptable? You've made it clear what your agenda is.

Archived