• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Overdue Huddle debate: Gas or charcoal?

pstall

This isn't a debate.

Gas grills are actually ovens.

Ovens are for kitchens.

Thus Gas Grills are for women only.

Charcoal.

Used to think the same thing with equal contempt.

Then I got one of these:

2013_04_05_02_55_06_Summit_Series.jpg

Mind you I have an older model I've used now for 11 years.

Won't ever go back.

lately for steaks I have been cooking them sous vide.  Put the steak in a plastic baggie and make a bath for them on the stove at medium rare temperature.  Keep it that way for an hour or two. Some people use a cooler which I've never had much success with.  There are also $400 contraptions you can buy that do the same thing.

Slap it on the grill for a couple of minutes to get a sear.  Best steak you will ever eat if you've never tried it that way.

I have never heard of such black magic. I need to look that up. 

Also, I would like to admit that after my rant on charcoal grill snobs, I went to cook some steak kabobs last night only to find  that I was out of propane. Well played charcoal Gods, well played. 

I usually have a spare tank on hand but that was empty as well. Had a Palermo's frozen pizza instead. 

So I have 2 random grilling questions:

1. I love the whole pre heated cast iron skillet method of searing steaks using butter and then most times I finish it off on the grill but how the hell do you do that on a stove without grease splattering all over this kitchen floor? When the skillet is on such high heat and there is butter involved, even using a splatter guard is not going to prevent the mess because you have to take it off to turn the steaks. Every time I start to sear steaks that way, I can see the frustration on my GF's face as she goes to grab the Wet Swifter to prepare for clean up.

2. For propane users - I usually just do the propane exchange wherever convenient but last time I took my empty tank to BJ's and had them fill it up for about $10. I swear it seemed that I got about 1/2 the life out of that tank than I do when I just do an exchange. I thought it would last longer filling it up instead of doing the exchange. What gives? 

lately for steaks I have been cooking them sous vide.  Put the steak in a plastic baggie and make a bath for them on the stove at medium rare temperature.  Keep it that way for an hour or two. Some people use a cooler which I've never had much success with.  There are also $400 contraptions you can buy that do the same thing.

Slap it on the grill for a couple of minutes to get a sear.  Best steak you will ever eat if you've never tried it that way.

I'm confused Jase... on the stove in a plastic bag or in the oven?

Wouldn't the stove melt the plastic?

This is my grill... Its charcoal/smoker on 1 side for when I have the time to invest, its gas on the other for when I need to be quick with my grilled deliciousness and it has an infrared searing burner. That solves 1 of your issues JR... I swap my tanks, have never got them filled, but I will now that you say something...

grill.jpg

Gas grilling does not dry out the meat, the person grilling dries out the meat...

Use a chimney, no fluid necessary....

chimny.jpg

This is my grill... Its charcoal/smoker on 1 side for when I have the time to invest, its gas on the other for when I need to be quick with my grilled deliciousness and it has an infrared searing burner. That solves 1 of your issues JR... I swap my tanks, have never got them filled, but I will now that you say something...

grill.jpg

Gas grilling does not dry out the meat, the person grilling dries out the meat...

Use a chimney, no fluid necessary....

chimny.jpg

That is a sweet set up. I just bought a Weber a couple week's ago and honestly the option you have never crossed my mind. 

I'm confused Jase... on the stove in a plastic bag or in the oven?

Wouldn't the stove melt the plastic?

Here is what I do.  I put the meat in a ziploc bag and get all of the air out.  One day I will get a vacuum packer which will help a bunch.

I make a pot of water and turn on the stove.  I put a thermometer in the water and get the water temperature up to 135 degrees.  I put the steak baggie in the water and put the lid on the pot.  I keep an eye on the thermometer to see if I need to add any heat to keep it at 135.  I keep the steak there for an hour, but ideally with tougher cuts of steak, you can keep it there for 2-4 hours.  The bag doesn't melt. (it takes temps in excess of 250 degrees to melt ziploc bags) In that time, the steak reaches the proper temperature, and all of the gristle and marbling softens while the meat retains all of its moisture.

Most people use a cooler with 135 degree temperature water in it, but I've found with my coolers that the water doesn't stay at the temperature long enough.

Or if you don't want to deal with thermometer watching you can just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Supreme-Water-SVS10LS/dp/B003AYZIB4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1429881964&sr=8-7&keywords=sous+vide

Here is what I do.  I put the meat in a ziploc bag and get all of the air out.  One day I will get a vacuum packer which will help a bunch.

I make a pot of water and turn on the stove.  I put a thermometer in the water and get the water temperature up to 135 degrees.  I put the steak baggie in the water and put the lid on the pot.  I keep an eye on the thermometer to see if I need to add any heat to keep it at 135.  I keep the steak there for an hour, but ideally with tougher cuts of steak, you can keep it there for 2-4 hours.  The bag doesn't melt. (it takes temps in excess of 250 degrees to melt ziploc bags) In that time, the steak reaches the proper temperature, and all of the gristle and marbling dissolves without drying the meat.

Most people use a cooler with 135 degree temperature water in it, but I've found with my coolers that the water doesn't stay at the temperature long enough.

Or if you don't want to deal with thermometer watching you can just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Supreme-Water-SVS10LS/dp/B003AYZIB4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1429881964&sr=8-7&keywords=sous+vide

Damn....Are we cooking steaks or building Rome? 

Damn....Are we cooking steaks or building Rome? 

Dammit johnny rockets, do you want the best steak you've ever eaten or not?

Cook a flank steak like this and you'll never want to pay for a filet mignon again.

Dammit johnny rockets, do you want the best steak you've ever eaten or not?

Cook a flank steak like this and you'll never want to pay for a filet mignon again.

He's right.  Think of it like using a crock pot for your meat but you still get to grill it super fast on really high heat for like 3 mintues.  

Depends on what I'm cooking. Mostly I prefer charcoal, but if I need to get a real good caramelization or a quick hot seer on a piece of nice rare steak, I switch to my gas infrared grill. It gets way hotter faster and since I'm usually only using it for 3 or 4 minutes, it's more convenient than charcoal for the same purpose. 

Do you prefer IR over traditional gas? More difficult to clean or about the same?

I'm currently in the market for a new grill, but I don't know anyone personally who has an IR grill.

Archived