• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My observations on the top OTs

JawnyBlaze

I decided to watch breakdowns on all the tackles we could target in the first two rounds and here's what I saw.

Flowers:  I expected to see an athletic road grader with technique issues.  I saw an athletic pass protector with minor technique issues.  Looked powerful and had high effort.  Looked real stiff at times, though.  His kickslide left a little to be desired, it was a little slow at times but it wasn't most or even half the time.  Just occasionally.  He certainly had his moments that didn't look great but he didn't look like a "strictly RT" guy to me at all, like some people are saying.  Might be able to play LT after all, in my opinion, if the stiffness doesn't prove to be a problem.

Peat:  I really wanted to like Peat, he looks like he should be a good football player.  NFL bloodlines, tree trunk body but not slow.  But after watching him, I just can't get on board.  He got bullrushed WAY too much, and by guys much smaller than him.  He doesn't look like a high effort guy.  His technique doesn't look terrible, he just looks flat out weak.  He'd give up on plays way too quickly.  If he ends up the pick I'll hope I was wrong and I just wasn't seeing it, but he was one of my least favorite guys of them all.

Humphries:  Honestly, he turned out to be one of my favorite prospects for our 1st pick.  He looks a little small, but it didn't appear to be a problem.  He didn't end up on the ground or getting pushed back often.  Good quickness, good mirroring, solid hand fighting.  He stayed active throughout the play, unlike Peat, which is a big plus.  Looked like he'd be a solid pick at #25.

Fisher:  What surprised me the most is how often I saw him give up on plays.  Didn't look like the intensity or effort was there often.  Like Peat, he didn't often stay active until the whistle.  However, his read and react looked the best of all the guys I watched.  Very often he'd get a punch on a first guy, then see another guy was stunting or coming around him and he'd disengage and go get that guy with success.  This is a big deal, in my opinion.  Very important skill to have for the NFL.  I think lack of this ability is why most high pick bust OTs fail.  I'd be good with Fisher at #25, and just hope the lack of effort I saw was an anomaly or able to be coached out of him.

Clemmings:  He looked solid.  He played RT, so I had to use my imagination a bit to try to translate how he did at RT to how he'd do at LT and nothing he did stood out to me positively or negatively.  He didn't get beat or manhandled hardly at all, but also didn't do much manhandling.  Was out of position a few times, but not excessively.  At #25 I wouldn't smile at the pick, but I wouldn't be disgusted either.  He might be a bit stiff for LT, and didn't look quite powerful enough to be a 1st round RT pick.  I was least sure of my opinion about Clemmings than any other guy.

Donovan Smith:  Only one breakdown, vs Randy Gregory in 2013.  Smith dominated Gregory.  Tossed him about.  But that's not surprising with how small Gregory is.  Smith had good quick feet in the short area, but looked slow when asked to pull or block down field.  Looked powerful though.  If the measurables are there (arm length particularly) he could a very nice prospect in the 2nd or 3rd.  He's a BIG guy, tall too so the arm length should be there.

Collins:  Good effort, good feet, good hands, good power.  Looked like one of the better OTs in the draft, which we all knew.  He had a tendency to get off balance occasionally because he'd over extend or appear to be a bit over zealous, but I'd rather have too much effort than not enough.  I could see where the short arms could possibly be a problem in the NFL, but I think he'll be fine.

Ogbuehi:  Good power, good feet, good effort.  His hand usage seemed kinda bad at times, let his arms go wide often.  That can be coached up, though.  His kickslide and lateral movement was a little slow at times, but it wasn't a big problem.  His short area movement was really good, and his mirroring appeared to be the best of anybody I watched.  Had to read and react a few times, reacting to a second rusher and handled it well.  In most other classes, disregarding the injury concerns, he'd be a late first or early 2nd round guy.  In this draft, I actually think he was one of the best OT I watched.  But with the injury concerns, I'd think it drops him to the 2nd.  He actually looked better than I expected, from what I've read from numerous places and what little I had watched before.  But after getting a bigger picture of him I could see him being our pick at #25 with one huge caveat:  if our medical staff are 100% confident that his leg problems won't continue to be an issue.  He's not overweight or fat, he's in good shape for a guy that big so it's not like Otah or some of the other OL that just have chronic leg problems because their body is disproportionately big.  He's well put together, so I think he has a chance of overcoming the injury bug and if he can I think he'll be the best OT out of this class.

Summary ranking:

1. Ogbuehi (assuming no injury problem, I'd drop him down to #4 if there is any doubt)

2. Humphries (looks a little small on video, but never looked to be a problem.  He didn't dominate people, but I found no faults in his game)

3. Collins (has the talent and most of the polish you'd want, but slightly lacking in the tools department.  That's the only reason I have him behind Humphries)

4. Fisher (if only his effort were higher and he were a little stronger I'd probably have him at #2)

5. Flowers (powerful, but a bit stiff.  Good prospect, boom or bust though)

6. Smith (I saw limited footage, but it was good.  Might be a RT though)

7. Clemmings (didn't look too good or too bad.  Worth a shot in the 2nd or later if there)

8. Peat (good God he looked bad in every video I watched.  Clumsy, uncoordinated, weak.  Most surprising conclusion I came to)

These are just my uneducated observations.  I acknowledge that I know nowhere near as much as the professionals or even the wannabe professionals at the networks.  This is the order in which I would prefer an OT this year.

You should put this in the main forum.  Nice write-up.

My only disagreement is with Flowers, I just can't seem him on the left side.  I agree that Humphries has been somewhat pushed aside when he may be more ready than most of this class. 

I hate this, truly I do cause its impossible to make correct future predictions. No one knows what the future holds, no one.

But that's what you got to do here. You film observation are fairly good, but in a few years what type of player will _____ be? Flowers cannt even drink booze.

In my training, I've found a mans strongest years are 26-32. Can peat get even bigger? Will clemmings get the right coaching and become a all pro? Etc etc

That's why I have peat as my #1 followed by flowers. I'm getting in my time machine and seeing those two as the best of the group. Total guess, along with too many questions.

Archived