• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

I've moved on from it for the most part, so I don't hurt the gettleman fan club's feelings by disagreeing with his moves... But ultimately, that's the biggest issue I had with it.

I said when we took Shaq, that it's likely he would've been there much further down... We likely could've traded back at least 7 picks to possibly the early second round, got Shaq, and picked up another pick to use to trade up again where we could've taken Devin Smith or Funchess.

We don't know this, but honestly, neither does any gm out there... They only have an idea of what teams are looking at which players, but like Shaq said, he could've went anywhere from 20-50,and seeing how he started slipping in many projections (much like we saw with Clemmings now), that's where I have my issue,in that we could've given ourselves much more maneuverability if we traded back for shaq and picked up another pick.

But oh well, it's done and that's who we have. No room for dissenting opinions, so let's all fap.

Yeah, I agree completely...especially with the "no GM knows" comment.  Everyone has their 'sense', but ultimately it comes down to do you sit & wait OR is 'that' player the palyer who will make a huge difference.  IF he is, & the GM is right, it is all worth it.

I love forward to seeing to monsters on the field, especially in light of the fact that our franchise QB throws high on a regular basis...so to that point, I understand Funchess....just wish we waited instead of giving up picks.

And he was a P.E. coach before somebody that knew somebody hooked him up.

So, just because people haven't been employed in the NFL, that means they don't have an eye for talent?

Who gives a poo?

Again, slow that ego roll bro. LOL.

The dude has like 30 years of NFL experience and your argument is. Well he was a PE coach! So my opinion matters! I know my stuff! Hahahahaha please

Thirty years ago.

Since then, he's worked his way up from scouting intern to scout to personnel guy to general manager.

In the process he's been part of six Super Bowl teams, three world champions, and the best two season stretch our team has ever had. Not to mention he was one of the authors of the game plan that the Giants used to beat the up-to-then undefeated Patriots in the big game.

Comparing that to random internet guy is just ludicrous.

Come on, man. You're smarter than this!

You're perfectly free not to like the pick or the trade, but some of the arguments you're using to justify it are just terrible.

I wrote out a long reply and it got erased.

All I'm saying is great eyes for talent aren't limited to nfl employment. That's not to discredit gettleman, I'm just saying that any person can watch someone play, run, catch, etc. and discern skill and ability... Some do it better than others.

Ultimately, Internet guy that projected cam newton to be a surefire franchise QB, or luke to be a surefire defensive cornerstone and dpoy candidate, doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things... But neither does all of the dumbass, thoughtless, "welp, that's why they get paid the big bucks. In gettleman I trust..." That's how we went without consecutive division titles for almost 20 years. That completely kills dialogue, dissent, and a spectrum of thoughts that should be voiced and discussed.

I'm trying to figure out when it became a criminal offense to disagree?

You're telling me what and how to say it, and yet, I've seen your very antagonistic posts inviting that same thoughtless mentality, scot. And then once you get out of those "members only" discussions, you come back and play the reasoned, neutral-poster.

How many PANTHERS have been discussed on this very board, to where there was one side convinced he sucks and another that thought he was pro bowl worthy? There have been plenty. Jake comes to mind... Cam is also a similar subject (although I don't believe that is based on football). Some people are convinced of their side and there is no other option...

I'm not that guy. I acknowledge I can be wrong, but I'm confident in my ability as random Internet guy to recognize talent and needs. No, I don't work in the NFL, and, I probably never will... But that's what makes it fun to discuss it as random Internet guys and fans of the same team. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes you're right. But don't let me get in the middle of circle jerk city.

This idea that Gettleman is drafting guys like Funchess, and Benjamin because "derp, Cam throws high literally all the time, draft all the tall guys!" is pretty retarded if I'm being honest. For all you Gettleman dick lickers, it's actually an insult to Dave's intelligence. I think in all the years he's been in the NFL, he has a better sense of offensive talent than that. Seems pretty damn clear to me that he wants the mismatch advantage that those guys present first and foremost, particularly in the red zone. Also, these type of WR's eat up chunks of yards at a time, and help sustain long drives that obviously keep the ball out of the hands of the opposing offense as long as possible.

Again, slow that ego roll bro. LOL.

The dude has like 30 years of NFL experience and your argument is. Well he was a PE coach! So my opinion matters! I know my stuff! Hahahahaha please

Your opinion matters too.

I'm not saying it for my sake. I'm saying the gettleman fan club is quickly approaching Stalin-esque levels of censorship.

I'm not getting into this to start the day off, TRG.

I thought there were better ways to acquire a receiving talent. We're not privy to all the info nfl front offices are, but it appears we took shaq earlier than he could've been had, then traded several picks to move up and take funchess.

I wanted speed and sure hands. That can still be had, but the black and white of it is, I didn't like the way we went about it and who we took in this moment... They both could be great players. But this board is here to discuss agreement, disagreement, etc. I want our team to win Superbowls. If gettleman's picks do that, then he is the greatest man that ever lived... Regardless, we have the ability to agree, disagree, and discuss.

You're right, who cares what I say, you say, or anyone on this board says... Oh well, who wants discussion? Unless we live in gettleman's buttcrack, we have no right to speak.

Goddamn. Shut the fug up about Oline.

Repeat after me.

You do not reach for need.

fug what you think our needs are. You don't know poo.

Yeah, I think we all need to know the Panthers have been in good hands with G-Man.  Reaching for 'need' is never a long-term winning proposition.  We wouldn't have Luke if we only drafted for 'our' 'perceived' needs.

I too worry about our OL (G-Man's aversion to taking them early), but am glad he isn't just reaching b/c everyone will feel like he 'gets it'...he does get it. 

Both the 1st Rd pick & moving up to take Funchess surprised me, but I think we will be a better team b/c of both.

I wrote out a long reply and it got erased.

All I'm saying is great eyes for talent aren't limited to nfl employment. That's not to discredit gettleman, I'm just saying that any person can watch someone play, run, catch, etc. and discern skill and ability... Some do it better than others.

Ultimately, Internet guy that projected cam newton to be a surefire franchise QB, or luke to be a surefire defensive cornerstone and dpoy candidate, doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things... But neither does all of the dumbass, thoughtless, "welp, that's why they get paid the big bucks. In gettleman I trust..." That's how we went without consecutive division titles for almost 20 years. That completely kills dialogue, dissent, and a spectrum of thoughts that should be voiced and discussed.

I'm trying to figure out when it became a criminal offense to disagree?

You're telling me what and how to say it, and yet, I've seen you're very antagonistic posts inviting that same thoughtless mentality, scot.

How many PANTHERS, has everyone discussed on this very board, to where there was one side convinced he sucks and another that thought he was pro bowl-worthy... There have been plenty. Jake comes to mind... Cam is also a similar subject (although I don't believe that is based on football). Some people are convinced of their side and there is no other option...

I'm not that guy. I acknowledge I can be wrong, but I'm confident in my ability as random Internet guy to recognize talent and needs. No, I don't work in the NFL, and, I probably never will... But that's what makes it fun to discuss it as random Internet guys and fans of the same team. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes you're right. But don't let me get in the middle of circle jerk city.

The difference is one has proven it where the other has no real accountability.

You're free to disagree, but everyone else is also free to disagree with you, and that includes pointing out flaws in your thinking.  People do the same to me.  It's part of the discussion process. 

As far as that goes, some people have demonstrated knowledge while others have demonstrated a lack of it. My mode of response to someone is generally based on that established pattern (if there is one; some people are unknowns).  Disagreeing with me doesn't make someone dumb, but yes sometimes even smart people make dumb arguments.  Heck, I've looked at past posts of my own and said "What was I thinking?"

Sometimes you just have to say "I was wrong" because sometimes you are.  We all are.  If you keep stubbornly defending a judgement on a player / coach / executive that's been shown to be incorrect, all you do is look worse.  And it's not automatically a 'circle jerk' just because a lot of people happen to disagree with you.

It was very possible that the Saints would have taken Funchess as a replacement for Jimmy Graham. One of the big reasons we moved up ahead of them.

Possible. I was just watching nfln and they have a reporter in New Orleans and they said there was an audible groan everytime a TE was picked... I consider Funchess a TE, so it may have been they were targeting him.

This idea that Gettleman is drafting guys like Funchess, and Benjamin because "derp, Cam throws high literally all the time, draft all the tall guys!" is pretty retarded if I'm being honest. For all you Gettleman dick lickers, it's actually an insult to Dave's intelligence. I think in all the years he's been in the NFL, he has a better sense of offensive talent than that. Seems pretty damn clear to me that he wants the mismatch advantage that those guys present first and foremost, particularly in the red zone. Also, these type of WR's eat up chunks of yards at a time, and help sustain long drives that obviously keep the ball out of the hands of the opposing offense as long as possible.

It's all in how you frame it.

"We have to draft big guys because Cam is a lousy passer" is a little silly.

"We draft guys with a large catch radius because Newton can sometimes be a little off" is more accurate.

Reality is in today's NFL there aren't that many guys like Brees and Rodgers who can 'thread a needle' with their passes.  There are way more 'general vicinity' passers who alternate between perfect lasers, slightly off target balls and occasional 'what the hell' passes.  Frankly, you could make a pretty good argument that that's the norm right now.

That being the case, you can go with super speedsters who are more likely to get open, or big guys with a large catch radius and enough power to fight for the ball.  We've mostly gone the second route.

The Packers regularly did the same sort of things with Favre.

That's not an insult.  It's awareness (and it's smart strategy).

I'm sorry, but your 'derp, b/c Cam throws high' comment seems, your words 'retarded'.  Why try throwing other peoples opinions under the bus?  Because you have all of the answers?  Seems sophomoric.

You think Gettleman its not aware & it is NOT a consideration that Cam throws high?!  I will guarantee you that it is.  Is it the primary analysis?  Likely not.  Gettleman is not so simple that it's all about size or all about Cam...he assessed this player & obviously really likes his skills. 

From watching college, I've always liked hat I saw out of Funchess...will be interesting to see him & Benjamin lined up on  5'10" CBs.

Your opinion matters too.

I'm not saying it for my sake. I'm saying the gettleman fan club is quickly approaching Stalin-esque levels of censorship.

I'm not getting into this to start the day off, TRG.

I thought there were better ways to acquire a receiving talent. We're not privy to all the info nfl front offices are, but it appears we took shaq earlier than he could've been had, then traded several picks to move up and take funchess.

I wanted speed and sure hands. That can still be had, but the black and white of it is, I didn't like the way we went about it and who we took in this moment... They both could be great players. But this board is here to discuss agreement, disagreement, etc. I want our team to win Superbowls. If gettleman's picks do that, then he is the greatest man that ever lived... Regardless, we have the ability to agree, disagree, and discuss.

You're right, who cares what I say, you say, or anyone on this board says... Oh well, who wants discussion? Unless we live in gettleman's buttcrack, we have no right to speak.

Dude, nobody's "censoring" anybody.  Nobody but the mods and admins even has the power to do so.

You're just in a position where a lot of people happen to disagree with you.  I've been there too.

Sometimes you're right.  Sometimes you're wrong.

Regarding Shaq, it's posted in another thread that a Dallas guy said they were prepared to take him two spots below us, so there it looks like you're wrong.

It's all in how you frame it.

"We have to draft big guys because Cam is a lousy passer" is a little silly.

"We draft guys with a large catch radius because Newton can sometimes be a little off" is more accurate.

Reality is in today's NFL there aren't that many guys like Brees and Rodgers who can 'thread a needle' with their passes.  There are way more 'general vicinity' passers who alternate between perfect lasers, slightly off target balls and occasional 'what the hell' passes.  Frankly, you could make a pretty good argument that that's the norm right now.

That being the case, you can go with super speedsters who are more likely to get open, or big guys with a large catch radius and enough power to fight for the ball.  We've mostly gone the second route.

The Packers regularly did the same sort of things with Favre.

That's not an insult.  It's awareness (and it's smart strategy).

It's no secret to anyone who has been watching Panthers games the last few years that our red zone efficiency has gone down a lot. Like I said in my original post, my thinking is that Dave first and foremost wants to improve that, and with Newton, Olsen, and Stewart already in the mix, when you add in Benjamin and Funchess, that's certainly a formidable challenge to defenses.

I'm sorry, but your 'derp, b/c Cam throws high' comment seems, your words 'retarded'.  Why try throwing other peoples opinions under the bus?  Because you have all of the answers?  Seems sophomoric.

You think Gettleman its not aware & it is NOT a consideration that Cam throws high?!  I will guarantee you that it is.  Is it the primary analysis?  Likely not.  Gettleman is not so simple that it's all about size or all about Cam...he assessed this player & obviously really likes his skills. 

From watching college, I've always liked hat I saw out of Funchess...will be interesting to see him & Benjamin lined up on  5'10" CBs.

I didn't throw anyone under the bus. I questioned the use of such logic.

There is a difference between it being a consideration, and basically being a key factor in the draft process.

Maybe a crazy thought here, but on the accuracy front, I would think that Gettleman is probably more concerned about coaching Newton up than giving up multiple picks for a WR just because our QB throws high (which is a pretty over exaggerated claim here btw).

Archived